-   -   Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/169192-gnome-nautilus-how-open-same-folder-same-window.html)

Kejia 10-01-2008 04:59 PM

Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window

Hi all,

I am not meaning the Nautilus spatial window. Now, when I click the same
folder twice, there are two windows for the same folder. Is it possible
to configure nautilus so as to only show the open existed window of one
folder rather than to open the second one?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion.

Cheers,
Kejia

"P. Lane" 10-02-2008 10:41 AM

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 09:59:01AM -0700, Kejia wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am not meaning the Nautilus spatial window. Now, when I click the same
> folder twice, there are two windows for the same folder. Is it possible
> to configure nautilus so as to only show the open existed window of one
> folder rather than to open the second one?
>
> Thanks a lot for any suggestion.
>
> Cheers,
> Kejia
I am not sure what you mean by spatial window. But I think what your talking
about, is that Nautilus is not "browsing". Nautilus can be set to browser
mode by clicking; Edit Prefrences, selecting the Behavior tab and checking
the "Always open in brower window".

Paul Lane |Debian-Etch "Like a Rock"
KC9EYE |GNU/Linux 2.6.18-6-486
|Mutt 1.5.13 (2006-08-11)
Amateur Radio and Linux "like" Peas and Carrots
http://www.qsl.net/kc9eye

Thu Oct 2 14:30:01 2008
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:43:47 +0200
From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Javier_G=E1lvez_Guerrero?="
<javier.galvez.guerrero@gmail.com>
To: "Ubuntu Mobile" <ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: Audio support in last Ubuntu Mobile image
Sender: ubuntu-mobile-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com

Any idea about this?

2008/9/29 Javier G=E1lvez Guerrero <javier.galvez.guerrero@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been testing the last Ubuntu Mobile image in a Samsung Q1 (non-Ult=
ra,
> just live session) and HDD-installed in an Asus R2E (live session tested=
as
> well).
>
> Regarding sound, SQ1 has no issues with that, while Asus R2E doesn't play
> any sound at all, neither in files nor testing through Audio configuration
> (tested in both live session and HDD OS).
>
> lspci command shows different results although both are Intel devices. Th=
en,
> as I am not a hardware (nor a software..xD) expert, I post it to the mail=
ing
> list just to ask for some help.
>
> In SQ1 audio line in lspci: 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation
> 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev
> 03)
> In AR2 audio line in lspci: 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G
> (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02).
>

> So, that difference in hardware is supposed to be the cause of not getting
> any sound, isn't it?
> What should I do in order to get it working?
> Will next releases support this hardware natively?
>

> Thanks,
> Javi

-- =

Ubuntu-mobile mailing list
Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
o/ubuntu-mobile

"Stackpole, Chris" 10-02-2008 01:07 PM

Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window

> From: P. Lane [mailto:kc9eye@verizon.net]
> Subject: Re: Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window
>
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 09:59:01AM -0700, Kejia wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am not meaning the Nautilus spatial window. Now, when I click the
same
> > folder twice, there are two windows for the same folder. Is it
possible
> > to configure nautilus so as to only show the open existed window of
one
> > folder rather than to open the second one?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for any suggestion.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kejia
> I am not sure what you mean by spatial window. But I think what your
> talking
> about, is that Nautilus is not "browsing". Nautilus can be set to
browser
> mode by clicking; Edit Prefrences, selecting the Behavior tab and
> checking
> the "Always open in brower window".
>
> Paul Lane |Debian-Etch "Like a Rock"
> KC9EYE |GNU/Linux 2.6.18-6-486
> |Mutt 1.5.13 (2006-08-11)
> Amateur Radio and Linux "like" Peas and Carrots
> http://www.qsl.net/kc9eye
> "Freedom is the light of all sentient beings."
> Optimus Prime

I *think* that what he meant by spatial window was opening in the same
window. So that suggestion helps with opening the directory in the same
spatial window but not what OP was asking about.

If I understand correctly, when you open directory A you get a window.
When you open subdirectory B, you get another window. Then you open B
again and you get a second B window. Correct?

If so, I think you have a bug.

When I open A then B the graphic for the B folder icon changes. When I
try to open B again, it takes me to the already open B window. If B is
on another workspace, then the window flashes in the application bar and
clicking on it takes me to that workspace. I tested on Lenny (64 and 32
bit) and Etch (32bit) and it works the same on all three systems.

If I understand your problem correctly, then I would make sure you have
the latest updates and file a bug report. If I misunderstood you and
have it all wrong, sorry.

Have fun!
~S~

Kejia 10-02-2008 06:56 PM

Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window

Hi all,

Thank you very much for every reply.

I think I ignored one important point: my problem is on folders
appearing on gnome user's Desktop.

Yes, I use browsing mode, but for folders on Desktop ... . You may try.

Any further suggestions? Thanks.

From: P. Lane [mailto:kc9eye@verizon.net]
Subject: Re: Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window

"Stackpole, Chris" 10-02-2008 07:07 PM

Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window

> From: Kejia [mailto:w.kejia@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window
>
> Hi all,
>
> Thank you very much for every reply.
>
> I think I ignored one important point: my problem is on folders
> appearing on gnome user's Desktop.
>
> Yes, I use browsing mode, but for folders on Desktop ... . You may
try.

> Any further suggestions? Thanks.

My previous statement of opening a folder and having the icon change
still applies to the desktop. It works the same for me.

Will you do us (and yourself) a favor and detail exactly what steps we
need to do to recreate your problem?

For example, here is what I did to test:
1) Right click on desktop and select "New Folder". Call it A.
2) Open folder by double clicking on it. Minimize it.
3) With the first window Open, double click the icon again. For me the
first window reopens.
.... so forth and so on...

Because when I tested it, it always signaled the already open window to
reappear. I might not be testing the same steps you are.

Have fun!
~S~

Kejia 10-02-2008 11:49 PM

Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window

Hi,

My steps:
0) Show the Desktop, and there is one folder A;
1) Double click folder A's icon and open the folder A in the window #1;
2) Show the Desktop;
3) Double click folder A's icon again, but this time a new window is
open to show folder A's content. We call the second one as window #2.

Window #1 and window #2 are two different windows. And I prefer window
#1 is refocused on when I double click folder A's icon again.

Thank you for your endless patience!

"Stackpole, Chris" 10-03-2008 01:09 PM

Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window

> From: Kejia [mailto:w.kejia@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window
>
> Hi,
>
> My steps:
> 0) Show the Desktop, and there is one folder A;
> 1) Double click folder A's icon and open the folder A in the window
#1;
> 2) Show the Desktop;
> 3) Double click folder A's icon again, but this time a new window is
> open to show folder A's content. We call the second one as window #2.
>
> Window #1 and window #2 are two different windows. And I prefer window
> #1 is refocused on when I double click folder A's icon again.
>
> Thank you for your endless patience!

I can not replicate that experience, but after searching Google I found
this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/120746

It sounds like it might be related. Do you have Nautilus default to list
mode?

What version of Nautilus are you using? The link has problems starting
at version 2.21.90 and fixed in 2.23.2 for Ubuntu (probably doesn't
correlate to Debian). I am using 2.20.0-7 on Debian Lenny and don't see
your problem.

Hope this helps.

Have fun!
~S~

Kejia 10-05-2008 01:34 AM

Gnome Nautilus: How to Open Same Folder in Same Window

Hi forks,

Thank you very much for your patient answers. I think that is not a big
deal, just a habit related thing.

Thank you all again.

Cheers,
Kejia