Old 10-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Cultural Sublimation

Default Speed problems with Xircom PCMCIA ethernet card

Hi,

I have a Xircom PCMCIA 100/10 ethernet card on my laptop. This is what "dmesg | grep eth0" tells me:

Code:

[24.588107] eth0: Xircom cardbus revision 3 at irq 11
[30.956255] xircom cardbus adaptor found, registering as eth0, using irq 11

Now, at first glance the card seems to work fine. However, I noticed that there is a huge difference in speed if I try to scp to or from the laptop. Basically, when I copy files from the laptop to a PC, the copying proceeds at a decent speed of around 2MB/s. However, copying on the other direction (from the PC to the laptop), it never manages to go above 200KB/s.

By the way, I tried running mii-tool on the Xircom, but it complains that the operation is not supported. As for ethtool, it returns nothing. Also, I know the problem is not on the PC end, because I had the chance to try it out with other machines.

Any ideas of what the problem could be? (and how to fix it)

Thank you!!
C.S.