Old 10-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Lubos Vrbka

Default soundcard recognized but not accessible

hi guys,

recently i installed lenny on a relatively dated machine. it seems to
work fine, but i have problems with getting the sound working.

the card is recognized by the kernel (part of the lspci -v follows)
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

Subsystem: Cirrus Logic Crystal SoundFusion PCI Audio Accelerator
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 255
Memory at f4100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]
Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=1M]

but whenever i want to use the alsamixer, i get
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

i tried googling and saw the card mentioned several times. however,
nothing seems to be applicable to my case directly. often, missing
modules (cm46xx) are mentioned. in this case, however, the card seems to
be compiled directly to the kernel. some people had problems with oss,
but i don't think it should be my case (but one never knows).

all modules loaded are listed below:
Module Size Used by
ipv6 242212 12
ac 6212 0
battery 13700 0
dm_snapshot 17060 0
dm_mirror 21792 0
dm_mod 56004 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
loop 16996 0
container 4960 0
button 8528 0
psmouse 36656 0
parport_pc 26340 0
parport 34472 1 parport_pc
i2c_piix4 8556 0
serio_raw 6788 0
i2c_core 22656 1 i2c_piix4
shpchp 31220 0
pci_hotplug 27840 1 shpchp
pcspkr 3264 0
intel_agp 23540 1
agpgart 31912 1 intel_agp
rtc 13148 0
floppy 54724 0
evdev 11200 1
ext3 123272 1
jbd 43892 1 ext3
mbcache 8480 1 ext3
ide_cd 36352 0
cdrom 32672 1 ide_cd
ide_disk 15776 3
ata_generic 7556 0
libata 144560 1 ata_generic
scsi_mod 141516 1 libata
uhci_hcd 23568 0
piix 7556 0 [permanent]
generic 4484 0 [permanent]
3c59x 41288 0
mii 5344 1 3c59x
usbcore 127724 2 uhci_hcd
ide_core 108740 4 ide_cd,ide_disk,piix,generic
thermal 16092 0
processor 36840 1 thermal
fan 4868 0

am i missing something obvious here? the module list doesn't seem to
have any module related to sound (apart from pcspkr)...

i'd be really grateful for any help.

best,
lubos

--
Lubos _@_"
http://www.lubos.vrbka.net

Old 10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-10-01 11:07 +0200, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> recently i installed lenny on a relatively dated machine. it seems to
> work fine, but i have problems with getting the sound working.
>
> the card is recognized by the kernel (part of the lspci -v follows)
> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24

The driver for this card has been removed from the Debian kernel, as it
needs binary-only firmware.

> am i missing something obvious here? the module list doesn't seem to
> have any module related to sound (apart from pcspkr)...

Not very surprising.

> i'd be really grateful for any help.

There are several possibilities:

- Buy a different sound card.

- Compile your own kernel from kernel.org (*not* from the Debian
linux-source-2.6.x package).

- Build the driver from the ALSA project. You need the alsa-driver
package:
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.17.tar.bz2.
Do *not* use Debian's alsa-source package, since that has the firmware
removed as well.

- Use a Linux distribution that is less picky about legal issues and
includes the driver and the firmware in the kernel.

Sven

Old 10-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Lubos Vrbka

Sven Joachim wrote:
sven, sorry for replying off-list. posting (UPDATED) mail here as well.

The driver for this card has been removed from the Debian kernel, as it
needs binary-only firmware.
ah, interesting. it seems that it is not that frequently used and
doesn't therefore have a firmware package in non-free (as, e.g., the
intel wifi driver has)

There are several possibilities:
- Build the driver from the ALSA project. You need the alsa-driver
package:
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.17.tar.bz2.
Do *not* use Debian's alsa-source package, since that has the firmware
removed as well.

this seems to be the easiest solution. i will give it a try.

actually, this doesn't seem to work for me (but maybe i am just doing
something wrong). got the file, but configure tells me (after some fiddling)

checking for built-in ALSA... yes
configure: error: You have built-in ALSA in your kernel.

according to some webpages, it's not possible to have alsa both as
module and in the kernel - but i just need one module that according to
you isn't present in the kernel. is there any way how to do this? or do
i first have to recompile the kernel?

- Use a Linux distribution that is less picky about legal issues and
includes the driver and the firmware in the kernel.

thanks,
lubos

--
Lubos _@_"
http://www.lubos.vrbka.net

Old 10-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-10-01 15:14 +0200, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> Sven Joachim wrote:
>> There are several possibilities:
>> - Build the driver from the ALSA project. You need the alsa-driver
>> package:
>> ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.17.tar.bz2.
>> Do *not* use Debian's alsa-source package, since that has the firmware
>> removed as well.
> this seems to be the easiest solution. i will give it a try.
>
> actually, this doesn't seem to work for me (but maybe i am just doing
> something wrong). got the file, but configure tells me (after some
> fiddling)
>
> checking for built-in ALSA... yes
> configure: error: You have built-in ALSA in your kernel.

I have to confess that I don't understand that. That message only
appears if CONFIG_SND=y, but Debian Kernels use CONFIG_SND=m.
What is your kernel version (according to /proc/version)?

> according to some webpages, it's not possible to have alsa both as
> module and in the kernel - but i just need one module that according
> to you isn't present in the kernel. is there any way how to do this?
> or do i first have to recompile the kernel?

If it's been built with CONFIG_SND=y, then yes. But it would be very
strange if that is really the case.

Sven

Old 10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Kejia

Hi Lubos,

You may try:
$ alsaconf

Maybe, alsa will recognize your sound card and say enjoying it, but the
sound card still can not work.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Lubos Vrbka

Sven Joachim wrote:

I have to confess that I don't understand that. That message only
appears if CONFIG_SND=y, but Debian Kernels use CONFIG_SND=m.
What is your kernel version (according to /proc/version)?

Linux version 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-686 (Debian 2.6.24-6~etchnhalf.5)
(dannf@debian.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian
4.1.1-21)) #1 SMP Mon Sep 8 06:19:11 UTC 2008

If it's been built with CONFIG_SND=y, then yes. But it would be very
strange if that is really the case.

hm, where can i get this? i recall using /proc/config.gz or something
like that, but that is not available here.

it turns out that i didn't have the correct headers package installed. i
had kernel-headers. after installing linux-headers-2.6.-686-etchnhalf (i
don't remember the whole name correctly) i was able to compile the
module. the card seems to be recognized now - will test it tomorrow as
soon as i will have access to the computer again.

thanks for help!
lubos

--
Lubos _@_"
http://www.lubos.vrbka.net

Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-10-01 20:10 +0200, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> Sven Joachim wrote:
>> If it's been built with CONFIG_SND=y, then yes. But it would be very
>> strange if that is really the case.
> hm, where can i get this? i recall using /proc/config.gz or something
> like that, but that is not available here.

For Debian kernels, it is in /boot/config-$(uname-r).

> it turns out that i didn't have the correct headers package
> installed. i had kernel-headers. after installing
> linux-headers-2.6.-686-etchnhalf (i don't remember the whole name
> correctly) i was able to compile the module. the card seems to be
> recognized now - will test it tomorrow as soon as i will have access
> to the computer again.

Nice, please report success or failure then.

> thanks for help!
> lubos

Note that you will have to rebuild the module for every new kernel
version (whenever the ABI and thus the name of the linux-2.6-something
package changes, not if only the Debian revision is increased).

Sven

Old 10-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Lubos Vrbka

For Debian kernels, it is in /boot/config-$(uname-r).

ok, thanks.

Nice, please report success or failure then.

the soundcard works with the modules from alsa-drivers without any problems.

Note that you will have to rebuild the module for every new kernel
version (whenever the ABI and thus the name of the linux-2.6-something
package changes, not if only the Debian revision is increased).

well, i think i will be able to live with that :-D

thanks for helping me!

best,

--
Lubos _@_"