Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Bob Cox

Default Dealing with obsolete packages

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 06:11:47 +0000, T o n g (mlist4suntong@yahoo.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know that aptitude gui interface can show all those obsolete packages
> by sections. my questions are:
>
> - how can I tag all obsolete packages in a section, then remove them?
> - how can I get such obsolete packages list on command line?

To answer just that last question:

aptitude search ?obsolete

or

aptitude search ~o

To answer the first question, probably *something* like this:

for file in `aptitude search ~o | cut -b 5- | awk '{print $1}'`; do aptitude remove $file; done

although I am sure there are neater, more elegant solutions.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 08:29:41AM +0100, Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> was heard to say:
> > I know that aptitude gui interface can show all those obsolete packages
> > by sections. my questions are:
> >
> > - how can I tag all obsolete packages in a section, then remove them?
> > - how can I get such obsolete packages list on command line?

[snip]

> To answer the first question, probably *something* like this:
>
> for file in `aptitude search ~o | cut -b 5- | awk '{print $1}'`; do aptitude remove $file; done
>
> although I am sure there are neater, more elegant solutions.

For instance, you could do

$ aptitude remove "~o~sSECTION"

or just push "-" on the header of the group if you're using the
curses interface.

Daniel

Old 10-01-2008, 09:36 PM
T o n g

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 06:44:26 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> or just push "-" on the header of the group if you're using the curses
> interface.

That's what I thought. I press "-" on the spot marked as "*" in the following:

Actions Undo Package Resolver Search Options Views Help
C-T: Menu ?: Help q: Quit u: Update g: Download/Install/Remove Pkgs
aptitude 0.4.11.8 Will free 3301kB of disk space
-- Obsolete and Locally Created Packages (101)
-- admin - Administrative utilities (install software, manage users, etc) (13
* -- main - The main Debian archive (13)
id aptconf -360kB 0.8-0.1 <none>
id convertfs -73.7kB 20050113-1 <none>
id defrag -213kB 0.73pjm1-8 <none>
id dumputils -180kB 1.0.0-1 <none>

but nothing happens.

further, suppose it works, after press "-", what should I do next?

Sorry for being dense. I never use aptitude ncurses interface before.

thanks.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 10-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 09:36:29PM +0000, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> was heard to say:
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 06:44:26 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > or just push "-" on the header of the group if you're using the curses
> > interface.
>
> That's what I thought. I press "-" on the spot marked as "*" in the following:
>
> Actions Undo Package Resolver Search Options Views Help
> C-T: Menu ?: Help q: Quit u: Update g: Download/Install/Remove Pkgs
> aptitude 0.4.11.8 Will free 3301kB of disk space
> -- Obsolete and Locally Created Packages (101)
> -- admin - Administrative utilities (install software, manage users, etc) (13
> * -- main - The main Debian archive (13)
> id aptconf -360kB 0.8-0.1 <none>
> id convertfs -73.7kB 20050113-1 <none>
> id defrag -213kB 0.73pjm1-8 <none>
> id dumputils -180kB 1.0.0-1 <none>
>
> but nothing happens.

According to the lines above, all those packages are already flagged
for deletion. You just need to press "g" to see the preview screen and
then, after carefully reviewing what aptitude plans to do, press "g"
again to go ahead and apply your changes.

Daniel