Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 AM
John O'Hagan

Default Looking for a lazy gui

Hi Debianistas,

I recall stumbling upon a program in the Debian archive which was a simple
GUI - a customisable row of buttons and text-boxes - and which could be
hooked up to any script, as a shortcut to actually writing a gui (which i
can't do).

It would be perfect for a Python program I want my non-CLI-using colleagues to
be able to use; problem is, I can't remember what it's called.

Anyone out there remember?

Thanks,

John

Old 10-01-2008, 03:47 AM
Ron Johnson

I recall stumbling upon a program in the Debian archive which was a simple
GUI - a customisable row of buttons and text-boxes - and which could be
hooked up to any script, as a shortcut to actually writing a gui (which i
can't do).

It would be perfect for a Python program I want my non-CLI-using colleagues to
be able to use; problem is, I can't remember what it's called.

Anyone out there remember?

Probably not exactly what you were looking for, but
http://easygui.sourceforge.net/ might do what you want.

Also, the python-dialog package might do what you want.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-01-2008, 06:22 AM
T o n g

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 22:47:05 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

>> I recall stumbling upon a program in the Debian archive which was a
>> simple GUI - a customisable row of buttons and text-boxes - and which
>> could be hooked up to any script, as a shortcut to actually writing a
>> gui (which i can't do).
>>
>> It would be perfect for a Python program I want my non-CLI-using
>> colleagues to be able to use; problem is, I can't remember what it's
>> called.
>>
>> Anyone out there remember?
>
> Probably not exactly what you were looking for, but
> http://easygui.sourceforge.net/ might do what you want.
>
> Also, the python-dialog package might do what you want.

If python is not a must-have, and you want something even simpler, give
gtkdialog a try. Ref:

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/language/gtkdialog/gtkde02-
GtkdialogExamples/

e.g.,
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/language/gtkdialog/gtkde02-
GtkdialogExamples/ar01s06.html
etc.

HTH

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 AM
T o n g

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 06:22:22 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> If python is not a must-have, and you want something even simpler, give
> gtkdialog a try.

If that is still not simple enough, install tk and try the following
script:

#! /bin/sh
# -*- tcl -*- make next line a commnet in tcl
exec wish -f $0 -- ${1+"$@"} # must be the next line

button .a -padx 15 -pady 5 -text "wkpks00a" -command "exec xterm -e
rlogin wkpks00a &"
pack .a -padx 4 -pady 2 -fill x
button .b -padx 15 -pady 5 -text "wk" -command "exec xterm -e rlogin
wkpks00a &"
pack .b -padx 4 -pady 2 -fill x
button .c -padx 15 -pady 5 -text "wkpks00v" -command "exec xterm -e
rlogin wkpks00a &"
pack .c -padx 4 -pady 2 -fill x

Old 10-02-2008, 01:55 AM
Ron Johnson

I recall stumbling upon a program in the Debian archive which was a
simple GUI - a customisable row of buttons and text-boxes - and which
could be hooked up to any script, as a shortcut to actually writing a
gui (which i can't do).

It would be perfect for a Python program I want my non-CLI-using
colleagues to be able to use; problem is, I can't remember what it's
called.

Anyone out there remember?

Thanks,

John

Try out "zenity."

Which is a GTK2 cousin of python-dialog.