Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 AM
John Merchant

Default Installing Etchy on fakeraid/BIOS raid

Dear Debian user,

I'm having trouble installing Etchy on a fakeraid/BIOS raid array, the
installer doesn't seem to detect the array but instead it detects the
separate SATA drives.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,
John Merchant

Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 AM
"Peter Teunissen"

On Wed, October 1, 2008 03:39, John Merchant wrote:
> Dear Debian user,
>
> I'm having trouble installing Etchy on a fakeraid/BIOS raid array, the
> installer doesn't seem to detect the array but instead it detects the
> separate SATA drives.

At the moment your best bet would be to set the fakeraid card to JBOD and
simply use linux software raid. Most proven method.

There's experimental support however in Lenny for installing on fakeraid
using the dmraid driver. You start the lenny installer with

'install dmraid=true'

There's some info on: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataRaid

I haven't tried it myself though, I simply use the JBOD / software raid
option.

--
Groet,

Peter Teunissen

---
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and
those who don't...

Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 AM
John Merchant

Peter Teunissen wrote:

I'm having trouble installing Etchy on a fakeraid/BIOS raid array, the
installer doesn't seem to detect the array but instead it detects the
separate SATA drives.

At the moment your best bet would be to set the fakeraid card to JBOD and
simply use linux software raid. Most proven method.

There's experimental support however in Lenny for installing on fakeraid
using the dmraid driver. You start the lenny installer with

'install dmraid=true'

There's some info on: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataRaid

I haven't tried it myself though, I simply use the JBOD / software raid
option.

I've tried using Lenny, but unfortunately the installer didn't detect my
network card. Is there anyway I can somehow install the dmraid drivers
onto the Etch installer?

Cheers,
John

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 PM
oneman

[...]

I wouldn't know if that's at all possible, but personally I wouldn't
trust a system running mixture of releases when my data depends on
it. Isn't the whole point of RAID an increased reliability? (except
for RAID0). Again, you're better of using linux software raid with
your card. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get a reliable system.

Peter