Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Sharninder

Default how to create an image of your debian computer hard drive for cloning

> I was wondering how I could make a clone or image of my computer hard disk
> that contains debian OS. I want to do this in order to make an exact copy to
> another clean pc with no os at all. What complete free software can I use
> for this ? Is there a manual some where on the net about this ?
> thanks

dd (man dd) doesn't work for you ? Or are you looking for something else ?

--
Sharninder
http://nomadicrider.com/

Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 PM
"David Clymer"

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Robert Robert <robertrobert93@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
> I was wondering how I could make a clone or image of my computer hard disk
> that contains debian OS. I want to do this in order to make an exact copy to
> another clean pc with no os at all. What complete free software can I use
> for this ? Is there a manual some where on the net about this ?

I highly recommend Clonezilla-live. it makes cloning to/from any sort
of storage very simple. You can clone to an attached usb drive, to a
network drive via nfs, samba, or ssh. (http://www.clonezilla.org/)

Here's a quick, and compeletely non-exhaustive list of cloning options:

http://sysadmin.wikia.com/wiki/Cloning

You'll waste far too much space using dd, if the drive is of any
significant size.

-davidc

Old 09-30-2008, 07:28 PM
"Larry Irwin"

I was wondering how I could make a clone or image of my computer hard
disk
that contains debian OS. I want to do this in order to make an exact copy

another clean pc with no os at all. What complete free software can I use
for this ? Is there a manual some where on the net about this ?
thanks

dd (man dd) doesn't work for you ? Or are you looking for something else ?

dd will work as long as you have boot media to access compatible hardware to
perform the reverse dd cloning operation.

Boot from CD media and get to a shell prompt and have hard drive hda with
your linux system on it and an operational tape drive linked to /dev/tape.
Then you can create a clone via:

dd bs=512 if=/dev/hda of=/dev/tape

Then replace hda with another drive and restore the clone via:
dd bs=512 if=/dev/tape of=/dev/hda

To work with varying drive sizes and types, a commercial product like
BackupEdge makes the process simpler.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Hans Ekbrand

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 09:49:08PM +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 14:18 -0400, David Clymer wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Robert Robert <robertrobert93@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > > I was wondering how I could make a clone or image of my computer hard disk
> > > that contains debian OS. I want to do this in order to make an exact copy to
> > > another clean pc with no os at all. What complete free software can I use
> > > for this ? Is there a manual some where on the net about this ?
> >
> > I highly recommend Clonezilla-live. it makes cloning to/from any sort
> > of storage very simple. You can clone to an attached usb drive, to a
> > network drive via nfs, samba, or ssh. (http://www.clonezilla.org/)
> >

> Clonezilla uses partimage which I haven't found too reliable. I still
> prefer to tar /. It works perfectly every time.

To tar / will not

- partition the disk
- make a partition bootable
- put the right files on the right partitions unless the partitions are
- created manually
- mounted at the correct mountpoints.

The OP mentioned a "clean pc with no os at all", which sounds much
like an unpartitioned disk, on which tar / will not work at all (since
there is no partitions and no filesystem to untar to).

If you can plug the hard disk of the "clean pc" into your existing
system, then I recommend dd. If you need to manually move the data
between the computers then partimaged is handier. If both computers
exists in a fast lan, I guess you could just

At source
- export / from the source over NFS
At target
- boot a live cd on the target,
- mount source.ip:/ /mnt
- dd if=/mnt/dev/sda (or whatever hard disk on source is) of=/dev/sda

(This tip is untested though).

--
Linux amin 2.6.18-4-486 #1 Mon Mar 26 16:39:10 UTC 2007 i586 GNU/Linux
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>

Old 09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
"elijah rutschman"

If you can plug the hard disk of the "clean pc" into your existing

system, then I recommend dd. If you need to manually move the data

between the computers then partimaged is handier. If both computers

exists in a fast lan, I guess you could just

At source

- export / from the source over NFS

At target

- boot a live cd on the target,

- mount source.ip:/ /mnt

- dd if=/mnt/dev/sda (or whatever hard disk on source is) of=/dev/sda

If you are on a fast LAN, I'd recommend using netcat with dd instead of mounting / over NFS.* You'll have much less overhead and can determine your own buffer size (via dd's blocksize parameter).* Check the archives, I think we discussed this just a few weeks ago, or just google "dd clone netcat" or something along those line.

Cheers,
Elijah
--
http://elijahr.blogspot.com/

Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Aniruddha wrote:
> -Boot livecd
> -Run cfdisk
> -Format partitions
> -Unpack tar
> -Chroot
> -Adjust config files
> -Run grub-install
>
> This takes about 30 minutes. Alternatively if one really want to do bare
> metal recovery; image products from Paragon and Acronis are the best
> choice.

With clonezilla it is something like this:

- Boot clonezilla livecd
- Restore image
- Remove CD & reboot in new system

Should take 5-10 minutes, depending on how big the image is.

--
A man with 3 wings and a dictionary is cousin to the turkey.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Sharninder

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Aniruddha <mailing_list@orange.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 14:18 -0400, David Clymer wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Robert Robert <robertrobert93@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > Dear All,
>> > I was wondering how I could make a clone or image of my computer hard disk
>> > that contains debian OS. I want to do this in order to make an exact copy to
>> > another clean pc with no os at all. What complete free software can I use
>> > for this ? Is there a manual some where on the net about this ?
>>
>> I highly recommend Clonezilla-live. it makes cloning to/from any sort
>> of storage very simple. You can clone to an attached usb drive, to a
>> network drive via nfs, samba, or ssh. (http://www.clonezilla.org/)
>>

> Clonezilla uses partimage which I haven't found too reliable. I still
> prefer to tar /. It works perfectly every time.

tar doesn't solve the problem of making a *real* copy of the HDD. It
only makes a backup of the files that a particular user can read.

I've always been using dd for this task, but ofcourse like someone
else mentioned, I always have a bootable livecd available to dd the
image back to the hdd.

--
Sharninder
http://nomadicrider.com/

Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Neil

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Hans Ekbrand <hans@sociologi.cjb.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 09:49:08PM +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
>> >
>> > I highly recommend Clonezilla-live. it makes cloning to/from any sort
>> > of storage very simple. You can clone to an attached usb drive, to a
>> > network drive via nfs, samba, or ssh. (http://www.clonezilla.org/)
>> >

>> Clonezilla uses partimage which I haven't found too reliable. I still
>> prefer to tar /. It works perfectly every time.
>
> To tar / will not
>
> - partition the disk
> - make a partition bootable
> - put the right files on the right partitions unless the partitions are
> - created manually
> - mounted at the correct mountpoints.
>
> The OP mentioned a "clean pc with no os at all", which sounds much
> like an unpartitioned disk, on which tar / will not work at all (since
> there is no partitions and no filesystem to untar to).
>
> If you can plug the hard disk of the "clean pc" into your existing
> system, then I recommend dd. If you need to manually move the data
> between the computers then partimaged is handier. If both computers
> exists in a fast lan, I guess you could just
>
> At source
> - export / from the source over NFS
> At target
> - boot a live cd on the target,
> - mount source.ip:/ /mnt
> - dd if=/mnt/dev/sda (or whatever hard disk on source is) of=/dev/sda
>
> (This tip is untested though).

Although it might work, there is a complication: the source filesystem
should not be mounted. The risks involved when copying a / partition
while it is live are quite big (there may be files that are modified
while copying: you'd get half of the old file and half of the new
one).
To prevent this the filesystem should be locked as read only in some
kind of way or the source should be booted from a live CD (or an OS on
another partition).
I'd advise the live CD, but it requires a restart.

I have no experience with this, but I'd like to prevent problems in all cases.

Neil

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count

Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 AM
"thveillon.debian"