Old 09-30-2008, 04:10 PM
David Bernier

Default Totem and audio/video codecs

Dear Debian user,

I usually use the Iceape/1.0.9 browser.
The Java plug-in 1.6.0_07 and the latest Flash plug-in both work.

I'm still having problems with audio/video plugins.
When I go to the Bloomberg page:
http://www.bloomberg.com/ and click on
the radio icon, I get the message:

"Totem could not play mms [Etc.] you don't have the
'Windows Media Audio Voice' codec".

I searched the Web and tried to get the recommended
codecs using login as root and
apt-get [package-name].

The system said these codecs were already installed.
I figure either Totem can't find the codecs or
I don't have the right codecs or maybe some other
reason.

Here's some info. on my set-up:

Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
en-US; rv:1.8.0.14eol) Gecko/20070505 Iceape/1.0.9
(Debian-1.0.13~pre080323b-0etch3)

Thanks for any help,

David

Old 09-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Op Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:10:14 -0400 David Bernier wrote:
> I usually use the Iceape/1.0.9 browser.
> (...)
> I'm still having problems with audio/video plugins.
> When I go to the Bloomberg page:
> http://www.bloomberg.com/ and click on
> the radio icon, I get the message:
>
> "Totem could not play mms [Etc.] you don't have the
> 'Windows Media Audio Voice' codec".

The radio icon in the Bloomberg page works fine here, using Iceape
1.1.11 in Lenny, and totem-mozilla 2.22.2.4, which is the Totem
Mozilla plugin.

Judging from 'Help > About Plug-ins' in Iceape, the Windows Media
codecs are provided by libtotem-gmp-plugin.so, which is part of
totem-mozilla.

You could check the following:

This libtotem-gmp-plugin.so is located in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins,
it is a softlink to /usr/lib/totem/default/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
/usr/lib/totem/default is a softlink to /etc/alternatives/totem-default.dir
this is a softlink to /usr/lib/totem/xine,
where, finally, libtotem-gmp-plugin.so is located.

BTW, if all else fails, I'd suggest to try the kaffeine plugin by
installing kaffeine-mozilla, or the mplayer plugin by installing
mozilla-mplayer.