Old 09-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Christopher Judd

Default Trouble with USB printer

Hi,

I have a USB printer, HP laserjet 1600. I'm using lenny, with cups
and the hpijs driver installed. The printer used to work, although it
would sometimes stop due to an error. Restarting the printer usually
got it working again. Recently, probably after an upgrade, it stopped
working altogether. The printer is still detected, and if I print to
it, the job is listed in kjobviewer, and shows up if I connect to the
cups server (localhost:631), but the printer does not do anything, and
the menu panel states "Ready". I can still print to a remote printer,
so I suspect it is a problem with the USB system, not cups itself.
Does anyone have a clue as to what could be wrong, or how I would go
about debugging this?

-Chris

| Christopher Judd, Ph.D. judd@wadsworth.org |

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It
is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Aniruddha

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 08:54 -0400, Christopher Judd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a USB printer, HP laserjet 1600. I'm using lenny, with cups
> and the hpijs driver installed. The printer used to work, although it
> would sometimes stop due to an error. Restarting the printer usually
> got it working again. Recently, probably after an upgrade, it stopped
> working altogether. The printer is still detected, and if I print to
> it, the job is listed in kjobviewer, and shows up if I connect to the
> cups server (localhost:631), but the printer does not do anything, and
> the menu panel states "Ready". I can still print to a remote printer,
> so I suspect it is a problem with the USB system, not cups itself.
> Does anyone have a clue as to what could be wrong, or how I would go
> about debugging this?
>
> -Chris

I encountered the same problem recently albeit with a parallel printer.
Does the printer work? Can it print test pages (with a button on the
printer)?

Can you attach your CUPS log? I suspect this is a bug that needs to be
fixed.

Aniruddha

Old 10-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Kejia

Hi Chris,

I think you may try to print some document into file, normally .ps file.
If it processes like a real printing job, I mean the printer also can
not work, please check your printer's status: localhost:631. The printer
may already stop - note the second button in CUP console. What you need
is just starting the printer again.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 08:54:51 -0400, Christopher Judd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a USB printer, HP laserjet 1600. I'm using lenny, with cups
> and the hpijs driver installed. The printer used to work, although it
> would sometimes stop due to an error. Restarting the printer usually
> got it working again. Recently, probably after an upgrade, it stopped
> working altogether. The printer is still detected, and if I print to
> it, the job is listed in kjobviewer, and shows up if I connect to the
> cups server (localhost:631), but the printer does not do anything, and
> the menu panel states "Ready". I can still print to a remote printer,
> so I suspect it is a problem with the USB system, not cups itself.
> Does anyone have a clue as to what could be wrong, or how I would go
> about debugging this?

Did you restart CUPS after the upgrade?

Did you try to reinstall the driver for that printer? CUPS copies the
relevant PPD file to /etc/cups/ppd/ when a printer is installed; this
copy is not automatically upgraded when you get a newer version of that
PPD with a newer version of CUPS. Usually it is enough to start your
CUPS configuration frontend of choice, select the printer and then
choose the same driver again from the menu of options (the model/driver
name can change slightly with a CUPS upgrade). After you have done this,
check the dates in /etc/cups/ppd/ to make sure the file has really been
updated and restart CUPS. If it still does not work after that then you
should probably file a bug report.

Florian |

Old 10-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Christopher Judd

On Tuesday 30 September 2008, Kejia wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I think you may try to print some document into file, normally .ps
> file. If it processes like a real printing job, I mean the printer
> also can not work, please check your printer's status: localhost:631.
> The printer may already stop - note the second button in CUP console.
> What you need is just starting the printer again.

Hi, Keija,

No, that is not the problem. The printer is detected, and shows up
with lsusb and when I connect to localhost:631. The start and stop
buttons in the cups page return with no error indication, and jobs show
up there when I submit them, but the printer does not respond at all.
I can print to files or to a remote network printer.

-Chris

| Christopher Judd, Ph. D. judd@wadsorth.org |

Old 10-07-2008, 10:03 PM
"shr @dslextreme.com"

I had the same problem in Debian and Ubuntu with an HP LaserJet 1020. I used the drivers and method from this site to get printing working:
http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/

Old 10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
"shr @dslextreme.com"

Or more specifically for the LaserJet 1600:
http://foo2hp.rkkda.com/

Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Christopher Judd

<shr@dslextreme.com>wrote:
> > I had the same problem in Debian and Ubuntu with an HP LaserJet
> > 1020. I used the drivers and method from this site to get printing
> > working: http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/

The printer is now working with the Debian package foo2zjs (after I
changed the ownership of the ppd file). It still sometimes stops in
the middle of a job, and needs to be reset. I have previously tried
the package from rkkda.com, and it performed the same way. Does anyone
know why there is a disclaimer on the rkkda.com site saying to not use
the Debian and other packages?

-Chris

| Christopher Judd, Ph. D. |
| Research Scientist III |