Old 09-30-2008, 12:56 PM
"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum"

Default Setting up ad-hoc network?

Im running Gnome on a Lenny laptop.

Is there a simple way to set up an ad-hoc wireless network? I want to do this so i can tether an iPhone, to get Net access via the phone.

I expected that the NetworkManager "Create New Wirelss Network" option would do it, but i dont know what this does; its not documented. All i know is
that when i do this, it disconnects from the existing network, tries to join the newly created network, and fails.

Id prefer a GUI method, but at this point, whatever works.

Thanks!

Jen

Old 10-01-2008, 09:04 AM
"Semih Gokalp"

Hi,you can configure your /etc/network/interface file like below:

iface ethX inet static
******* address <address>
******* netmask <netmask>
******* wireless-mod Ad-Hoc
******* wireless-essid <essid that you want>

******* wireless-keymode restricted
******* wireless-key <your key>
auto ethX

or

iface ethX inet dhcp
****** wireless-mod Ad-Hoc
****** wireless-essid <essid that you want>
****** wireless-keymode restricted

****** wireless-key <your key>
auto ethX

"X" is your wireless card interface number (such as 0 or 1 or ....)

and restart your interface like below:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Is there a simple way to set up an ad-hoc wireless network? I want to do this so i can tether an iPhone, to get Net access via the phone.

I expected that the NetworkManager "Create New Wirelss Network" option would do it, but i dont know what this does; its not documented. All i know is

that when i do this, it disconnects from the existing network, tries to join the newly created network, and fails.

Id prefer a GUI method, but at this point, whatever works.

Thanks!

Jen

Iyi calismalar.Basarilar...
Semih Gokalp