Old 09-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Alex Maurer

Default KDE subpixel hinting

I have both, etch and lenny installed. Both with KDE 3. At etch I can activate font-aliasing with subpixel hinting but I can't activate it at lenny. The checkbox for subpixel hinting are gray and not useable.

Any hints, why?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 19:35:35 +0200, Alex Maurer wrote:
> I have both, etch and lenny installed. Both with KDE 3. At etch I can
> activate font-aliasing with subpixel hinting but I can't activate it
> at lenny. The checkbox for subpixel hinting are gray and not useable.
>
> Any hints, why?

I checked on my Sid system and the box is grayed out for me as well. I
have not idea what caused this. However, the "Hinting style:" combobox
below it (options: None, Slight, Medium, Full) still works normally
here.

When in doubt, check the Xft settings in the X resource database:

$ xrdb -query | grep Xft
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
Xft.rgba: none

I can activate the RGB subpixel hinting with

echo "Xft.rgba: rgb" | xrdb -merge

but this only has an effect on non-KDE applications (which are started
after the setting has been changed). The normal "gray" hinting still
works fine also for KDE applications AFAICT. (I do not like the "color
bleeding" look of RGB subpixel hinting anyway, so I did not notice that
this option had gone missing from the KDE control center dialog.)

Florian |

Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Alex Maurer

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:27:09 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 19:35:35 +0200, Alex Maurer wrote:
> > I have both, etch and lenny installed. Both with KDE 3. At etch I can
> > activate font-aliasing with subpixel hinting but I can't activate it
> > at lenny. The checkbox for subpixel hinting are gray and not useable.
> >
> > Any hints, why?
>
> I checked on my Sid system and the box is grayed out for me as well. I
> have not idea what caused this. However, the "Hinting style:" combobox
> below it (options: None, Slight, Medium, Full) still works normally
> here.
>
> When in doubt, check the Xft settings in the X resource database:
>
> $ xrdb -query | grep Xft
> Xft.antialias: 1
> Xft.dpi: 96
> Xft.hinting: 1
> Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
> Xft.rgba: none
>
> I can activate the RGB subpixel hinting with
>
> echo "Xft.rgba: rgb" | xrdb -merge
>
> but this only has an effect on non-KDE applications (which are started
> after the setting has been changed). The normal "gray" hinting still
> works fine also for KDE applications AFAICT. (I do not like the "color
> bleeding" look of RGB subpixel hinting anyway, so I did not notice that
> this option had gone missing from the KDE control center dialog.)

Just tested. Right, no effect for KDE-apps. And for me it is with sub-pixel hinting really nicer and no "bleeding-effect".

Should I report it as a bug or do I simple need some packages to get it work?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 21:02:25 +0200, Alex Maurer wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:27:09 +0200 Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 19:35:35 +0200, Alex Maurer wrote:
> > > I have both, etch and lenny installed. Both with KDE 3. At etch I can
> > > activate font-aliasing with subpixel hinting but I can't activate it
> > > at lenny. The checkbox for subpixel hinting are gray and not useable.
> > >
> > > Any hints, why?
> >
> > I checked on my Sid system and the box is grayed out for me as well. I
> > have not idea what caused this. However, the "Hinting style:" combobox
> > below it (options: None, Slight, Medium, Full) still works normally
> > here.
> >
> > When in doubt, check the Xft settings in the X resource database:
> >
> > $ xrdb -query | grep Xft
> > Xft.antialias: 1
> > Xft.dpi: 96
> > Xft.hinting: 1
> > Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
> > Xft.rgba: none
> >
> > I can activate the RGB subpixel hinting with
> >
> > echo "Xft.rgba: rgb" | xrdb -merge
> >
> > but this only has an effect on non-KDE applications (which are started
> > after the setting has been changed). The normal "gray" hinting still
> > works fine also for KDE applications AFAICT. (I do not like the "color
> > bleeding" look of RGB subpixel hinting anyway, so I did not notice that
> > this option had gone missing from the KDE control center dialog.)
>
> Just tested. Right, no effect for KDE-apps. And for me it is with
> sub-pixel hinting really nicer and no "bleeding-effect".
>
> Should I report it as a bug or do I simple need some packages to get
> it work?

I don't know; you may get a better answer if you ask this question on
the debian-kde list.

Florian |

Old 10-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Alex Maurer

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 16:17:29 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 21:02:25 +0200, Alex Maurer wrote:

> > > I checked on my Sid system and the box is grayed out for me as well. I
> > > have not idea what caused this. However, the "Hinting style:" combobox
> > > below it (options: None, Slight, Medium, Full) still works normally
> > > here.
> > >
> > > When in doubt, check the Xft settings in the X resource database:
> > >
> > > $ xrdb -query | grep Xft
> > > Xft.antialias: 1
> > > Xft.dpi: 96
> > > Xft.hinting: 1
> > > Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
> > > Xft.rgba: none
> > >
> > > I can activate the RGB subpixel hinting with
> > >
> > > echo "Xft.rgba: rgb" | xrdb -merge
> > >
> > > but this only has an effect on non-KDE applications (which are started
> > > after the setting has been changed). The normal "gray" hinting still
> > > works fine also for KDE applications AFAICT. (I do not like the "color
> > > bleeding" look of RGB subpixel hinting anyway, so I did not notice that
> > > this option had gone missing from the KDE control center dialog.)
> >
> > Just tested. Right, no effect for KDE-apps. And for me it is with
> > sub-pixel hinting really nicer and no "bleeding-effect".
> >
> > Should I report it as a bug or do I simple need some packages to get
> > it work?
>
> I don't know; you may get a better answer if you ask this question on
> the debian-kde list.

For the first I found a workaround.
Just edit in ~/.fonts.conf none to rgb in

<edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
<const>rgb</const>
</edit>

Checkbox in the controllcenter still gray out but sub-pixel hinting is on.