Old 09-29-2008, 04:53 PM
"Joost Kraaijeveld"

Default Howto sign e-mail using PGP (Debian Lennyy Evolution2.22.3.1)?

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 12:24 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:09:24 +0200
> "Joost Kraaijeveld" <J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl> wrote:
> Does signing work properly when the mail isn't passing through MS
> Exchange? E.g., if you have a local MTA installed on the system, try
> sending mail to yourself without the mail leaving the box, and see if
> it works, or try using a free mail provider.

Sending email through GMail, using the same PGP things I use for
Evolution BUT USING Icedove/Enigmail works as expected.

Viewing the send mail items does not have a problem either: I guess that
your hint ( to go around the Exchange server in IMAP modus) does the
trick.

Strange.

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl

Old 09-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Winfried Tilanus

On 09/29/2008 Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

Hi,

> But whenever I send an email to *myself* (through a MS Exchange 2000
> server) using "PGP sign" Evolution says "Invalid signature". Mail from
> other people seem to work correctly: in the end (after some clicking) I
> get "valid signature".

I can confirm that your key is uploaded correctly and that the signature
verification fails.

> Can anyone give me a clue how to get this working ?

Well, if the sig fails, there can be two cases:
1) The signature never was correct. This is then a bug in Evolution
2) The message was changed on the way

Have a thorough look at what is in your box with send items (or even in
your outbox before sending it to the server). That might give a clue
where of where it went wrong. And be aware that even the slightest
change in the signed text (wrapping it, changing the line-feed, encoding
a character, adding a space) makes gpg fail.

best wishes,

Winfried

--
http://www.tilanus.com
xmpp:winfried@jabber.xs4all.nl

Old 09-29-2008, 05:08 PM
"Joost Kraaijeveld"

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 18:57 +0200, Winfried Tilanus wrote:
> I can confirm that your key is uploaded correctly and that the signature
> verification fails.
Thanks for the confirmation.

> > Can anyone give me a clue how to get this working ?
>
> Well, if the sig fails, there can be two cases:
> 1) The signature never was correct. This is then a bug in Evolution
> 2) The message was changed on the way
I suspect the Exchange box, as the signature is OK in the send mail
items.

> Have a thorough look at what is in your box with send items (or even in
> your outbox before sending it to the server). That might give a clue
> where of where it went wrong.
Exchange I guess...

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl

Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 07:08:12PM +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 18:57 +0200, Winfried Tilanus wrote:
> > I can confirm that your key is uploaded correctly and that the signature
> > verification fails.
> Thanks for the confirmation.
>

> > > Can anyone give me a clue how to get this working ?
> >
> > Well, if the sig fails, there can be two cases:
> > 1) The signature never was correct. This is then a bug in Evolution
> > 2) The message was changed on the way
> I suspect the Exchange box, as the signature is OK in the send mail
> items.
>

> > Have a thorough look at what is in your box with send items (or even in
> > your outbox before sending it to the server). That might give a clue
> > where of where it went wrong.
> Exchange I guess...

doesn't exchange use smime

> --
> Groeten,
>
> Joost Kraaijeveld
> Askesis B.V.
> Molukkenstraat 14
> 6524NB Nijmegen
> tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
> fax: 024-3608416
> web: www.askesis.nl

"The really rich people figure out how to dodge taxes anyway."

- George W. Bush
08/09/2004
Annandale, VA
explaining why high taxes on the rich are a failed strategy

Old 09-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Winfried Tilanus

On 09/29/2008 Alex Samad wrote:

Hi,

> doesn't exchange use smime

I suppose exchange (a mta) doesn't use s/mime, and if it does, it should
still not mangle a gpg signed message. Outlook (a mua) uses s/mime. (But
there is a GPG plugin available for it.)

The OP is using Evolution as mua and exchange as mta. You should expect
from a mta that it doesn't mangle the body of the message, but
apparantly it does.

best wishes,

Winfried