Old 09-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Default Wireless card not showing up

Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum escreveu:
> Hi.
>
> This may not even be a Debian issue but i dont know where to start.
>
> I have a ThinkPad T60 running Lenny. Its normally plugged into an Ethernet port. I realized recently that only the wired network is showing up
> in my networking tools, even though the machine does support WiFi.
>
> I rebooted it and i still only have my Ethernet card showing up. And when i look over the output of dmesg, theres nothing at all there for my wireless
> card, at least nothing i can see.
>
> Im absolutely sure theres a wireless card here; theres even an entry in the Network Manager Editor for an interface i sometimes use.
>
> Because its not showing up in dmesg i wonder if its a hardware rather than driver problem, but i thought someone hear might have an idea of where to
> start looking. I know the machine has never been dropped or damaged.

Is there a switch or button to turn the wireless card on/off? Is it on?

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 09-29-2008, 04:34 PM
"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum"

eduardo@kalinowski.com.br wrote:
> Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum escreveu:
> > Hi.
> >
> > This may not even be a Debian issue but i dont know
> where to start.
> >
> > I have a ThinkPad T60 running Lenny. Its normally
> plugged into an Ethernet port. I realized recently that only
> the wired network is showing up
> > in my networking tools, even though the machine does
> support WiFi.
> >
> > I rebooted it and i still only have my Ethernet card
> showing up. And when i look over the output of dmesg, theres
> nothing at all there for my wireless
> > card, at least nothing i can see.

[etc.]

> Is there a switch or button to turn the wireless card
> on/off? Is it on?

Yes there is a switch, and its definitely on. I thought that might be it and switched it off and on and its on. At least, its in a clearly
physically different position than "off", it clicks into place.

I expected that even if switched off it would show up in dmesg though.

Jen

Old 09-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum (bg271828@yahoo.com) [29.09.08 18:28]:

[WiFi Problem]

Please submit the results of the following commands:

# uname -a

# lspci

# ifconfig

# iwconfig

Then we know a little more about your hardware.

HTH
Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 09-29-2008, 06:27 PM
"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum"

Sebastian Gunther wrote:

> * Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum (bg271828@yahoo.com) [29.09.08 18:28]:
>
> [WiFi Problem]
>
> Please submit the results of the following commands:
>
> # uname -a
>
> # lspci
>
> # ifconfig
>
> # iwconfig
>
> Then we know a little more about your hardware.

I seem to hvae fixed it.

I cleaned up some old repositories and then rebooted, and noticed that the card DID show up in the lspci list (though it hadnt before, im sure of it). It still
wasnt registering anywhere, but i realised that i was using an outdated
version of madwifi that didnt correspond to my current kernel. I recompiled
this and things are working now.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jen