Old 09-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Tim Edwards

Default preseeding localisation settings driving me insane!

I have the following in my preseed file to try to localise the
installation to German, in Germany with a German keyboard:

d-i console-tools/archs string skip-config
d-i debian-installer/locale string de_DE.UTF-8
#d-i console-keymaps-at/keymap select German
#d-i debian-installer/keymap string German
d-i console-setup/layoutcode string de

#d-i languagechooser/language-name-fb select de_DE.UTF-8
d-i debian-installer/locale select de_DE.UTF-8
d-i debconf/locale string de_DE.UTF-8
d-i debconf/language string de
d-i debian-installer/language string de

However every install I do once the system boots I just get little
diamond-shaped symbols on the console whenever I type anything. I've
tried several different combinations of the above (sometimes with 'de',
sometimes with 'German', sometimes with some commented out) and it just
gets the same result. The installation itself seems to pickup the right
settings and is in German (although if you have to do anything
interactive during the install the kbd is en_US but that's tolerable).

With Autoyast or kickstart these settings are simple, set the lang and
kbd and it works. Why are there so many different options in preseeding,
none of which has a documented list of what values to put (ie. should it
be 'de' or 'de_DE' or 'de_DE.UTF8' or 'German' or...)?