Old 09-29-2008, 08:12 AM
"Ji ZhengYu"

Default HOWTO convert a pdf to a docbook(XML) format or to a po format

HI,
I'm not in list, so please CC to me.

As subject, I want to convert a pdf file to another format, which is
easy to modify and translate.
I'd prefer to use vi with po plugin to translate some file, so it's
best to convert pdf to po file.
Target file is like this:

nico@debian:~$ pdfinfo ~/Desktop/latex-doc-pdf/GSWLaTeX.pdf
Creator: TeX
Producer: pdfeTeX-1.21a
CreationDate: Thu Sep 18 20:13:17 2008
Tagged: no
Pages: 46
Encrypted: no
Page size: 595.276 x 841.89 pts (A4)
File size: 330812 bytes
Optimized: no
PDF version: 1.4

Any suggestion will be appreciated!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Johann Spies

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 04:12:43PM +0800, Ji ZhengYu wrote:
> As subject, I want to convert a pdf file to another format, which is
> easy to modify and translate.
> I'd prefer to use vi with po plugin to translate some file, so it's
> best to convert pdf to po file.

Easier said than done. You can try pdf2ps and then edit the ps-file.
I don't think there is a tool to make a pdf a fully editable file.

If it is just text you can user pdftotext to produce te text file.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God,
believe also in me." John 14:1

Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:12:43 +0800
"Ji ZhengYu" <zhengyuji@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
> I'm not in list, so please CC to me.
>
> As subject, I want to convert a pdf file to another format, which is
> easy to modify and translate.
> I'd prefer to use vi with po plugin to translate some file, so it's
> best to convert pdf to po file.
> Target file is like this:

> nico@debian:~$ pdfinfo ~/Desktop/latex-doc-pdf/GSWLaTeX.pdf
> Creator: TeX
> Producer: pdfeTeX-1.21a
> CreationDate: Thu Sep 18 20:13:17 2008
> Tagged: no
> Pages: 46
> Encrypted: no
> Page size: 595.276 x 841.89 pts (A4)
> File size: 330812 bytes
> Optimized: no
> PDF version: 1.4
>
> Any suggestion will be appreciated!
>
> --

Use inkscape.

The text in the pdf will be imported as text (most of the time0 and the
layout will be preserved. I use it all the time. You need the latest
inkscape for this to work (0.46)

Good luck.