Old 09-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default Sound just broken in Sid

Following a recent upgrade in Sid my sound is no longer working -- on 2
different machines.

Saytime says:

sox formats: can't open output file `/dev/audio': Invalid argument
child process returned a non-zero status 2

I tried lsmod |grep snd:

arcadia:~:$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_pcm_oss 41760 0
snd_mixer_oss 18816 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_ens1371 27328 0
gameport 17040 3 ns558,snd_ens1371
snd_seq_midi 11072 0
snd_seq_midi_event 11904 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_usb_audio 91296 0
snd_usb_lib 20224 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_seq 54304 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_rawmidi 26784 3 snd_ens1371,snd_seq_midi,snd_usb_lib
snd_seq_device 11668 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd_hwdep 12040 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_ac97_codec 115416 1 snd_ens1371
ac97_bus 6272 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm 81800 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_ens1371,snd_usb_audio,snd_ac97_cod ec
snd_timer 25744 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 63688 11
+snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_ens1371,snd_usb_aud io,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,
snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm+,s nd_timer
soundcore 12064 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 13072 1 snd_pcm

So sound modules seem to be loaded but something is wrong. I could try
downgrading to the sound stuff in testing but I don't know which
packages are at fault. Any suggestions here please?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)

Old 09-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Anthony Campbell wrote:

Following a recent upgrade in Sid my sound is no longer working -- on 2
different machines.

Saytime says:

sox formats: can't open output file `/dev/audio': Invalid argument
child process returned a non-zero status 2

I get:

hugo@debian:/boot$ saytime
sox soxio: Can't open output file `/dev/audio': unknown file type `ossdsp'
child process returned a non-zero status 2

but I haven't done an upgrade since quite a while and everything else
(audacious, aplay, mpg321, etc.) seems to be working.

Is saytime the only thing that is dead or are the others as well?

Hugo

Old 09-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 28 Sep 2008, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
>> Following a recent upgrade in Sid my sound is no longer working -- on 2
>> different machines.
>>
>> Saytime says:
>>
>> sox formats: can't open output file `/dev/audio': Invalid argument
>> child process returned a non-zero status 2
>>

> I get:
>
> hugo@debian:/boot$ saytime
> sox soxio: Can't open output file `/dev/audio': unknown file type `ossdsp'
> child process returned a non-zero status 2
>
> but I haven't done an upgrade since quite a while and everything else
> (audacious, aplay, mpg321, etc.) seems to be working.
>
> Is saytime the only thing that is dead or are the others as well?
>
> Hugo

Actually, sound *is* working - only saytime is not. I thought sound had
failed because I tried to listen to the BBC this morning and there was
nothing, but I tried again now and it was working, so it must have been
something at their end. Panic over!

Anthony