Old 09-28-2008, 03:42 AM
Arthur Barlow

Default Problem compiling 2.6.26 kernel

I have used Debian for many years and I have always used the kernel-
package program that is included with Debian to compile new kernels.
I have an older Athlon PC that has the Reiserfs 3.6 on it. After I
do the "make-kpkg --revision= ## kernel-image" and then use "dpkg -i"
to install the new kernel, I keep getting a kernel panic. The message
reads like this:

VFS: Cannot open rootdevice "301" or unknown-block(3,1)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are available
partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block(3,1)

It appears to have trouble mounting the file systems. I've never run
into this before. The boot manager is still "lilo" and there is a
"root=/dev/hda1" statement in the "lilo.conf" file. Any suggestions
would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:28 AM
"Mumia W.."

I have used Debian for many years and I have always used the
kernel-package program that is included with Debian to compile new
kernels. I have an older Athlon PC that has the Reiserfs 3.6 on it.
After I do the "make-kpkg --revision= ## kernel-image" and then use
"dpkg -i" to install the new kernel, I keep getting a kernel panic. The
message reads like this:

VFS: Cannot open rootdevice "301" or unknown-block(3,1)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are available
partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(3,1)

It appears to have trouble mounting the file systems. I've never run
into this before. The boot manager is still "lilo" and there is a
"root=/dev/hda1" statement in the "lilo.conf" file. Any suggestions
would be appreciated. Thanks.

You seem to be the second person in two days who has complained about
this. Has kernel.org changed how IDE devices are accessed?

For the time being, you can probably boot using a root of /dev/sda1. The
problem is probably that the kernel IDE driver (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE) is
not being loaded before libata (CONFIG_ATA). I'm running 2.6.26.5 with a
config file that I've used for about a year; I generally get my kernels
from kernel.org.

It would be interesting to know where your kernel source comes from.
Also, please give us the output of these commands:

grep BLK_DEV_IDE .config
grep "CONFIG_S?ATA" .config

BTW, I have both BLK_DEV_IDE and BLK_DEV_IDEDISK set to "y".

Old 09-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Alex Samad

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 02:28:43AM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 09/27/2008 10:42 PM, Arthur Barlow wrote:
>> I have used Debian for many years and I have always used the
>> kernel-package program that is included with Debian to compile new
>> kernels. I have an older Athlon PC that has the Reiserfs 3.6 on it.
>> After I do the "make-kpkg --revision= ## kernel-image" and then use
>> "dpkg -i" to install the new kernel, I keep getting a kernel panic.
>> The message reads like this:
>>
>> VFS: Cannot open rootdevice "301" or unknown-block(3,1)
>> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are available
>> partitions:
>> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>> unknown-block(3,1)
>>
>> It appears to have trouble mounting the file systems. I've never run
>> into this before. The boot manager is still "lilo" and there is a
>> "root=/dev/hda1" statement in the "lilo.conf" file. Any suggestions
>> would be appreciated. Thanks.
>>

> You seem to be the second person in two days who has complained about
> this. Has kernel.org changed how IDE devices are accessed?
>
> For the time being, you can probably boot using a root of /dev/sda1. The
> problem is probably that the kernel IDE driver (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE) is
> not being loaded before libata (CONFIG_ATA). I'm running 2.6.26.5 with a
> config file that I've used for about a year; I generally get my kernels
> from kernel.org.

Interestingly, I installed the latest 2.6.26.6 and I was burning a dvd,
but I had to reboot the machine because the process got stuck, I could
not kill 09 the process and it locked the dvd drive

> It would be interesting to know where your kernel source comes from.
> Also, please give us the output of these commands:
>
> grep BLK_DEV_IDE .config
> grep "CONFIG_S?ATA" .config
>
> BTW, I have both BLK_DEV_IDE and BLK_DEV_IDEDISK set to "y".

A young girl once committed suicide because her mother refused her a new
bonnet. Coroner's verdict: "Death from excessive spunk."
-- Sacramento Daily Union, September 13, 1860

Old 09-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Alex Samad wrote:

[...]

Trying 2.6.26.6. BTW 'uname -a' does not give that information:

Linux debian 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Wed Sep 10 16:46:13 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

but if you subscribe to:

http://klive.cpushare.com/

you get that info, but apparently few Debian users do because I
generally only see myself. Other distros have a lot more subscribers.

Hugo

Old 09-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Arthur Barlow

On Sep 28, 2008, at 2:23 AM, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wroteFrom:*"Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net>
[...]

I did check the settings in .config. *Both BLK_DEV_IDE and BLK_DEV_IDEDISK are set to "y." *As for the ATA/SATA settings, they were not set, but my disk is an older one and should not care, *but I tried setting them and trying again, and I got the same result.
The drive is a Western Digital 40G drive, model WDC WD400JB-00FMA0. *As I mentioned it's using Reiserfs 3.6. *Also I got the source code from Debian's repository. *It's just a Debianized tar ball.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:17 AM
"Mumia W.."

I did check the settings in .config. Both BLK_DEV_IDE and
BLK_DEV_IDEDISK are set to "y." As for the ATA/SATA settings, they were
not set, but my disk is an older one and should not care, but I tried
setting them and trying again, and I got the same result.

The drive is a Western Digital 40G drive, model WDC WD400JB-00FMA0. As
I mentioned it's using Reiserfs 3.6. Also I got the source code from
Debian's repository. It's just a Debianized tar ball.

That is quite confusing. As the boot messages fly by, you can stop them
by using Control-S. Another Control-S allows the boot-up to continue.
Use that method to pause the display long enough for you to see how your
IDE drives are recognized by the kernel. I have messages like these:

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
hda: HDS728080PLAT20, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

I would hope that you have something similar. Also try roots of
/dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdc1 and /dev/sda1. Even though those are not likely
to work, it's probably worth a try. Can we see the entire boot stanza
used by LILO?