Old 09-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Jim McCloskey

Default LVM2, Debian, and changing the hostname

I am about to migrate a small server to a new box. Some weeks ago I
installed Lenny (amd64) on the new box and used a temporary hostname
for it, planning on changing the hostname after the system had been
tested and was ready to take the place of the existing machine. The
installation used LVM2 (I'm very happy about that), but I have a
niggling worry.

The device-names in /dev-mapper/ by convention include the system's
hostname as one of their sub-parts:

/dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-root /
/dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-home /home
/dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-tmp /tmp
/dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-usr /usr
/dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-var /var
/dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-swap_1 none

As far I can tell, this naming convention is irrelevant for all
networking purposes and shouldn't cause a problem when the hostname
and the mailname and so on are changed. But I haven't been able to
*absolutely* reassure myself about this. Am I missing something? Is
there maybe a risk of creating confusion within LVM itself if there is
a mismatch between the hostname and the name used in these device-file
names?

Thanks very much for any advice,

Jim

Old 09-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Alex Samad

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 03:08:11PM -0700, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> I am about to migrate a small server to a new box. Some weeks ago I
> installed Lenny (amd64) on the new box and used a temporary hostname
> for it, planning on changing the hostname after the system had been
> tested and was ready to take the place of the existing machine. The
> installation used LVM2 (I'm very happy about that), but I have a
> niggling worry.
>
> The device-names in /dev-mapper/ by convention include the system's
> hostname as one of their sub-parts:
>
> /dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-root /
> /dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-home /home
> /dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-tmp /tmp
> /dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-usr /usr
> /dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-var /var
> /dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-swap_1 none
>
> As far I can tell, this naming convention is irrelevant for all
> networking purposes and shouldn't cause a problem when the hostname
> and the mailname and so on are changed. But I haven't been able to
> *absolutely* reassure myself about this. Am I missing something? Is
> there maybe a risk of creating confusion within LVM itself if there is
> a mismatch between the hostname and the name used in these device-file
> names?

why not use the names under /dev/<vgroupname>/<vgname>

I have a vg group call raid0 and a lvm on that vggroup called so I
access it via

/dev/raid0/tmp

of just use labels !

> Thanks very much for any advice,
>
> Jim

"To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition."
-- Woody Allen

Old 09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Chris Davies

Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu> wrote:
> [...] The installation used LVM2 (I'm very happy about that), but I
> have a niggling worry.

> The device-names in /dev-mapper/ by convention include the system's
> hostname as one of their sub-parts:

> /dev/mapper/temporaryhostname-root /

> As far I can tell, this naming convention is irrelevant for all
> networking purposes and shouldn't cause a problem when the hostname
> and the mailname and so on are changed.

That's correct. It's a label and nothing more.

> But I haven't been able to *absolutely* reassure myself about this. Am
> I missing something?

It gets complicated trying to handle two LVMs on the same host if they
have the same volume name, so some distributions try to mitigate the
possibility by including a hostname in the volume name. (Why would you
have two LVMs with the same name? I wouldn't plan to, but it can come
about when swapping disk drives about.)

Chris