Old 09-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Aniruddha

Default How do I install older software versions?

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 23:12 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
I wonder:

> > > 1) What happens with older versions? Where do they go?
> > > 2) How do I install older versions?
> > >

> > > Thanks in advance!

> > It would be good to read APT How-To (search for it by your favourite internet search
> > engine), then you will be better understand Debian's repository system and apt.
> >

> I already did that (+ lots of other material including the Debian bible
> and "Debian concepts and techniques"). Anyhow I didn't find any info on
> this topic. That's why I asked here.

I want to add that I am familiar with apt pinning and forcing an older
version. The problem is that older versions disappear from mirrors
pretty quickly leaving you with no option to install an older version
(apt-cache is imo not a reliable method).

I also tried Debian snapshot, but this site provided me only with very
old versions (stable?) and nothing from the testing branch. Moreover I'm
looking for an officially supported way to install older versions.

Regards,

Aniruddha

Old 09-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:39:20AM +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 23:12 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> I wonder:

> > > It would be good to read APT How-To (search for it by your favourite internet search
> > > engine), then you will be better understand Debian's repository system and apt.
> > >

> > I already did that (+ lots of other material including the Debian bible
> > and "Debian concepts and techniques"). Anyhow I didn't find any info on
> > this topic. That's why I asked here.
>
> I want to add that I am familiar with apt pinning and forcing an older
> version. The problem is that older versions disappear from mirrors
> pretty quickly leaving you with no option to install an older version
> (apt-cache is imo not a reliable method).

The recent snapshots are behind firewall of the owner :-)

It should be back sometime. That was anyway one man efforts...

> I also tried Debian snapshot, but this site provided me only with very
> old versions (stable?) and nothing from the testing branch. Moreover I'm
> looking for an officially supported way to install older versions.

Due to storage requirements, we drop them reatively quickly.

My question is why bother to make your system as old testing. If this
is to make it compatible with non-free binary program, I suggest you to
run stable system with some backports. This way, you have stable but new
application.

See http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html

Osamu

Old 09-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Aniruddha

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 08:25 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> The recent snapshots are behind firewall of the owner :-)
>
> It should be back sometime. That was anyway one man efforts...
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

> > I also tried Debian snapshot, but this site provided me only with very
> > old versions (stable?) and nothing from the testing branch. Moreover I'm
> > looking for an officially supported way to install older versions.
>
> Due to storage requirements, we drop them reatively quickly.
We is Debian snapshot? Or Debian mirrors?

> My question is why bother to make your system as old testing. If this
> is to make it compatible with non-free binary program, I suggest you to
> run stable system with some backports. This way, you have stable but new
> application.

I choose testing because I want a "rolling update" system (just like
Gentoo and Arch). I want to keep all my packages up to date

> See http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html
>
> Osamu

Domo arigatoo! This link (your reference book) provides very useful
information ^^.

Regards,

Aniruddha

Old 09-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Aniruddha wrote:

> Coming from Gentoo I'm trying to understand how I should install older
> software versions in testing/unstable. Take for example the ATI drivers.
> In Gentoo's portage lots of versions are available. In APT I see only
> one. I wonder:
>
> 1) What happens with older versions? Where do they go?

The newer versions replace the older versions in testing.

> 2) How do I install older versions?

If you have the .deb files in the cache (/var/cache/apt/archives) then you
can try to install the .deb files directly using the "dpkg -i" command. You
can also do something like

sudo apt-get install package=version

if the package is available in the cache (or in some other repository).

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 09-28-2008, 03:58 AM
Osamu Aoki

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 01:41:59AM +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 08:25 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> > The recent snapshots are behind firewall of the owner :-)
> >
> > It should be back sometime. That was anyway one man efforts...
> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

I do not either. I should have written it as:

It should come back to be accessible state in some future time.

> > > I also tried Debian snapshot, but this site provided me only with very
> > > old versions (stable?) and nothing from the testing branch. Moreover I'm
> > > looking for an officially supported way to install older versions.
> >
> > Due to storage requirements, we drop them reatively quickly.
> We is Debian snapshot? Or Debian mirrors?

Official Debian archive such as ftp-master and "Debian mirrors"

> > My question is why bother to make your system as old testing. If this
> > is to make it compatible with non-free binary program, I suggest you to
> > run stable system with some backports. This way, you have stable but new
> > application.
>
> I choose testing because I want a "rolling update" system (just like
> Gentoo and Arch). I want to keep all my packages up to date

Then update your system with the latest packages.
If you still want to keep old packages, look into
/var/cache/apt/archives.

> > See http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html
>
> Domo arigatoo! This link (your reference book) provides very useful
> information ^^.

Geen probleem :-)

Old 09-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Aniruddha

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 21:03 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> If you have the .deb files in the cache (/var/cache/apt/archives) then you
> can try to install the .deb files directly using the "dpkg -i" command. You
> can also do something like
>
> sudo apt-get install package=version
>
> if the package is available in the cache (or in some other repository).

The problem is that when you need an package that you haven't installed
before, the package it isn't in cache (the same goes for a fresh testing
install). Moreover an accidental apt clean could easily wipe out your
careful build up cache.

Is it possible to have a local copy of an apt mirror? I have 5 machines
that can sync with a local apt-mirror and that way I can have better
version control.

Or maybe I can install all available software in order to create my own
repository. Is there an easy way to install all available software in
Debian?

Regards,

Aniruddha

Old 09-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Aniruddha

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 12:58 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > I choose testing because I want a "rolling update" system (just like
> > Gentoo and Arch). I want to keep all my packages up to date
>
> Then update your system with the latest packages.
> If you still want to keep old packages, look into
> /var/cache/apt/archives.
>
> > > See http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html
> >
> > Domo arigatoo! This link (your reference book) provides very useful
> > information ^^.
>
> Geen probleem :-)

Lol, btw ot I've printed your Debian reference manual, but the version I
have is different then the url you've posted. What the difference? And
where can I find the pdf?

Ot, I hope it is possible to setup a local copy of an apt-mirror (as I
posted in a previous answer). That way I have better version control and
It removes some strain from the Debian mirrors by letting my 5 pc's
update locally.

Regards,

Aniruddha

Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 AM
James Kerr

On Sunday 28 Sep 2008, Aniruddha wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 21:03 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> > If you have the .deb files in the cache (/var/cache/apt/archives) then
> > you can try to install the .deb files directly using the "dpkg -i"
> > command. You can also do something like
> >
> > sudo apt-get install package=version
> >
> > if the package is available in the cache (or in some other repository).
>
> The problem is that when you need an package that you haven't installed
> before, the package it isn't in cache (the same goes for a fresh testing
> install). Moreover an accidental apt clean could easily wipe out your
> careful build up cache.
>
> Is it possible to have a local copy of an apt mirror? I have 5 machines
> that can sync with a local apt-mirror and that way I can have better
> version control.

I use debmirror to maintain a local mirror of lenny binaries. You need to be
careful about how much you choose to mirror or you'll end up with an
extremely large bandwidth/storage requirement. My local mirror is about
20GB.

Jim

Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 10:49:49AM +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 12:58 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > I choose testing because I want a "rolling update" system (just like
> > > Gentoo and Arch). I want to keep all my packages up to date
> >
> > Then update your system with the latest packages.
> > If you still want to keep old packages, look into
> > /var/cache/apt/archives.

> > > Domo arigatoo! This link (your reference book) provides very useful
> > > information ^^.
> >
> > Geen probleem :-)
> >

> Lol, btw ot I've printed your Debian reference manual, but the version I
> have is different then the url you've posted. What the difference? And
> where can I find the pdf?

This is newer version 2 series.
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReference
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/apa.en.html#copyrighthistory

No pdf yet. That is why you have single page html.

> Ot, I hope it is possible to setup a local copy of an apt-mirror (as I
> posted in a previous answer). That way I have better version control and
> It removes some strain from the Debian mirrors by letting my 5 pc's
> update locally.

You may be better off using generic web proxy or apt-move etc.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 10:47:41AM +0100, James Kerr wrote:
> On Sunday 28 Sep 2008, Aniruddha wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 21:03 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> > > If you have the .deb files in the cache (/var/cache/apt/archives) then
> > > you can try to install the .deb files directly using the "dpkg -i"
> > > command. You can also do something like
> > >
> > > sudo apt-get install package=version
> > >
> > > if the package is available in the cache (or in some other repository).
> >
> > The problem is that when you need an package that you haven't installed
> > before, the package it isn't in cache (the same goes for a fresh testing
> > install). Moreover an accidental apt clean could easily wipe out your
> > careful build up cache.
> >
> > Is it possible to have a local copy of an apt mirror? I have 5 machines
> > that can sync with a local apt-mirror and that way I can have better
> > version control.
> >

> I use debmirror to maintain a local mirror of lenny binaries. You need to be
> careful about how much you choose to mirror or you'll end up with an
> extremely large bandwidth/storage requirement. My local mirror is about
> 20GB.

Use proxy server such as squid. Then it saves only ones you downloaded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server