Old 09-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Aniruddha

Default How do I install older software versions?

Coming from Gentoo I'm trying to understand how I should install older
software versions in testing/unstable. Take for example the ATI drivers.
In Gentoo's portage lots of versions are available. In APT I see only
one. I wonder:

1) What happens with older versions? Where do they go?
2) How do I install older versions?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Aniruddha

Old 09-27-2008, 09:00 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Aniruddha wrote:
> Coming from Gentoo I'm trying to understand how I should install older
> software versions in testing/unstable. Take for example the ATI drivers.
> In Gentoo's portage lots of versions are available. In APT I see only
> one. I wonder:
>
> 1) What happens with older versions? Where do they go?
> 2) How do I install older versions?
>

> Thanks in advance!
It would be good to read APT How-To (search for it by your favourite internet search
engine), then you will be better understand Debian's repository system and apt.

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF, Ukrainian C++ developer.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Aniruddha

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 00:00 +0300, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> Aniruddha wrote:
> > Coming from Gentoo I'm trying to understand how I should install older
> > software versions in testing/unstable. Take for example the ATI drivers.
> > In Gentoo's portage lots of versions are available. In APT I see only
> > one. I wonder:
> >
> > 1) What happens with older versions? Where do they go?
> > 2) How do I install older versions?
> >

> > Thanks in advance!
> It would be good to read APT How-To (search for it by your favourite internet search
> engine), then you will be better understand Debian's repository system and apt.

I already did that (+ lots of other material including the Debian bible
and "Debian concepts and techniques"). Anyhow I didn't find any info on
this topic. That's why I asked here.

Regards,

Aniruddha