Old 09-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Florian Kulzer

Default Problems with xserver-xorg

[ Please try to turn off the HTML part of your messages and wrap your
lines in the plain text part. ]

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 11:04:26 +0000, Carlos Morales Diego wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I Have a virtual machine VMShare where I have installed a Debian. At
> the moment of installing the packages, I am having a great problem
> when I want to install the X, this is the mistake which I have:
>

> Apt-get install xserver-xorg-core
>
> It could not install any packages. This can mean you asked for an
> impossible situation or, if you are using an unstable distribution,
> that some necessary packages have not been created or moved out of
> Incoming.
> Like just just requested a unique operation, it is extremely possible
> that the package simply is not instalable and you should fill a
> report of mistake against this package.

Note: You can use the trick

LC_ALL=C apt-get install xserver-xorg-core

then you will get the unlocalized English messages and you do not have
to translate the output yourself. This trick does not affect you normal
language and localization settings; it will only act on that one
command.

> The following information can help to solve the situation:
> The following packages have unfulfilled dependences:
> Xserver-xorg-core: It depends: x11-common (> =1:7.0.0) but it is not instalable
> Depends: libfontenc1 but it is not instalable
> Depends: libxau6 but it is not instalable
> Depends: libxdmcp6 but it is not instalable
> Depends: libxfont1 but it is not going to establish
> Depends: xserver-xorg but it is not instalable
> E:Broken Packages

Please send us the output of:

apt-cache policy xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core x11-common

Florian |

Old 09-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Carlos Morales Diego

Before typing LC_ALL=C apt-get install xserver-xorg-core I wrote apt-cache policy xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core x11-common and the output was this one:
xserver-xorg:
Installednone)
Candidatenone)
Version Table:
xserver-xorg-core:
Installednone)
Candidate: 2:1.1.1-21etch5
Version Table:
2:1.1.1-21etch5 0
500 http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
x11-common:
Installednone)
Candidatenone)
Version Table:

What do I do now?. Thanks

Old 09-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 16:12:15 +0000, Carlos Morales Diego wrote:
> Before typing LC_ALL=C apt-get install xserver-xorg-core I wrote
> apt-cache policy xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core x11-common and the
> output was this one:
>
> xserver-xorg:
> Installednone)
> Candidatenone)
> Version Table:
> xserver-xorg-core:
> Installednone)
> Candidate: 2:1.1.1-21etch5
> Version Table:
> 2:1.1.1-21etch5 0
> 500 http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
> x11-common:
> Installednone)
> Candidatenone)
> Version Table:
>

> What do I do now?. Thanks

It seems that you only have the security server in your sources.list.
You have to edit the file

/etc/apt/sources.list

and add a line like this:

deb http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ etch main

You can change the "es" part if you want to use a mirror in another
country. You can find a list of mirrors here:
http://www.debian.org/mirror/

After you have changed /etc/apt/sources.list, run "apt-get update" and
then it should be possible for you to install xorg.

P.S. If you also want "non-free" packages then the line in sources.list
should be like this:

deb http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib

For more information run "man sources.list".

Florian |