Old 09-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Csanyi Pal

Default How to determine the domain on LAN?

Hi,

I want to install on an old Toshiba laptop the Debian GNU/Linux Etch
from a netinstall CD.

At point 'Configure the network' I should set up the Domain name but
I forged domain name related to that LAN.

I have access to the firewall/router. Where to search the domain name
on it?

Any advices will be appreciated!

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

Old 09-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 08:03:42 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to install on an old Toshiba laptop the Debian GNU/Linux Etch
> from a netinstall CD.
>
> At point 'Configure the network' I should set up the Domain name but
> I forged domain name related to that LAN.
>
> I have access to the firewall/router. Where to search the domain name
> on it?

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly. If you want to
know which hostname has been assigned to your router/connection by your
ISP then you can do something like this:

host $(wget www.whatismyip.com/automation/n09230945.asp -O - -o /dev/null)

However, that does not mean that you have to give that hostname, or
another one from that subdomain, to your laptop when you install it.

Florian |

Old 09-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 06:29:46PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> host $(wget www.whatismyip.com/automation/n09230945.asp -O - -o /dev/null)

or: wget www.whatismyip.org instead of that longer URL above.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best