Old 09-26-2008, 03:59 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Swapping the KVM with a print running.

I have two machines on a KVM (keyboard / video / mouse switcher),
which switched USB as well. If I start a print from one machine, when
is it safe to move the KVM to the other without interfering with the
print job? Must I wait until the print just start, until it finishes,
or can I already move the switch a few seconds after hitting print?

I use KDE 3.x and it uses CUPS internally, connecting to an HP printer. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 09-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Michael Mohn

I have two machines on a KVM (keyboard / video / mouse switcher),
which switched USB as well. If I start a print from one machine, when
is it safe to move the KVM to the other without interfering with the
print job? Must I wait until the print just start, until it finishes,
or can I already move the switch a few seconds after hitting print?

I use KDE 3.x and it uses CUPS internally, connecting to an HP
printer. Thanks.

connect your printer directly to one host and do the printing from the
other host over network.

bye,

Michael.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Ron Johnson

I have two machines on a KVM (keyboard / video / mouse switcher),
which switched USB as well. If I start a print from one machine, when
is it safe to move the KVM to the other without interfering with the
print job? Must I wait until the print just start, until it finishes,
or can I already move the switch a few seconds after hitting print?

I use KDE 3.x and it uses CUPS internally, connecting to an HP
printer. Thanks.

connect your printer directly to one host and do the printing from the
other host over network.

Or connect your printer directly to the network. Little purpose-
built print servers don't cost much at all.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-26-2008, 06:22 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

> connect your printer directly to one host and do the printing from the other
> host over network.

Thanks, Michael, but that would mean that I need the host computer on
all the time, which it isn't. And the other machine is a laptop, which
is not always present.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 09-26-2008, 06:38 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/9/26 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
> Or connect your printer directly to the network. Little purpose-
> built print servers don't cost much at all.

Locally, they cannot be had for under USD$100:
http://zap.co.il/search.aspx?keyword=print%20server

On ebay the only people willing to ship outside the US are the ones
selling for $$$ and they want $$$ for shipping as well:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?satitle=usb print server

Froogle was not much help either:
http://www.google.com/products?q=usb+print+server&btnG=Search+Products

It would actually save me about $20 to buy a wireless router and
connect that way! Otherwise I do like the idea.

If anyone has one lying around I'd gladly pay $20-$30 for someone to
ship me one. I think that under 2.2 kg packages can be sent from the
US to Israel for $13 (I don't remember where that figure comes from).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 09-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Ron Johnson

Or connect your printer directly to the network. Little purpose-
built print servers don't cost much at all.

Locally, they cannot be had for under USD$100:
http://zap.co.il/search.aspx?keyword=print%20server

IOGEAR GPSU21
NETGEAR PS121

Amazon has these for well under $100. Shipping to .il is beyond my
knowledge, though.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Paul Johnson

On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 21:38 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/9/26 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
> > Or connect your printer directly to the network. Little purpose-
> > built print servers don't cost much at all.
> >

> Locally, they cannot be had for under USD$100:
> http://zap.co.il/search.aspx?keyword=print%20server

Have you considered a printer with one already built in? We got a
Brother laser printer with wireless and ethernet onboard for $80 at Best
Buy...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 10-06-2008, 09:08 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/10/4 Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca>:
> Have you considered a printer with one already built in? We got a
> Brother laser printer with wireless and ethernet onboard for $80 at Best
> Buy...

My next printer will definetly be a network printer, no doubt about it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il