Old 09-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Rajeev Kumar

Default no sound in debian 4.0

Hi i have recently installed debian 4.0 but no sound.
*
Please help me.
*

Old 09-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Johann Spies

> Hi i have recently installed debian 4.0 but no sound.

Please supply more information on your hardware e.g. what is the
output of 'lspci | grep -i audio'?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor
angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things
present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor
any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the
love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 8:38,39

Old 09-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Frank Lanitz

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:43:39 +0530 (IST)
Rajeev Kumar <rajeevcoder@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi i have recently installed debian 4.0 but no sound.

You need to give a bit more input here
>From which image you install? Which hardware are you using? Which
graphic user interface you install (if any)?

Regards,
Frank
--
Frank Lanitz <frank@frank.uvena.de>

Old 09-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

On 2008-09-26 15:13, Rajeev Kumar wrote:
> Hi i have recently installed debian 4.0 but no sound.

Have you installed any software to deal with sound?
Which?
How did you configure it?

Hint: debian's kernel is not enough. You need some software to use the
kernel's audio features.

Hint2: debian does not install 'sound' automatically. (There are many
servers, that don't have or require sound).

Hint3: There are many different packages to deal with sound to choose
from. I use alsa, among others.

Hint4: The debian wiki might get you started: http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA

Johannes

Old 09-27-2008, 01:16 AM
"Star Liu"

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Rajeev Kumar <rajeevcoder@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi i have recently installed debian 4.0 but no sound.
according to my experience, when installing, if i selected desktop in
the tasksel, the audio works; if i didn't select that, i need to run
"apt-get install libesd-alsa0", and then "alsaconf", follow the
default settings.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:50 AM
paragasu

i suggest the solution by rajeevcoder.

#alsaconf

make it easier to configure sound in debian

Old 09-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat,27.Sep.08, 09:16:34, Star Liu wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Rajeev Kumar <rajeevcoder@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi i have recently installed debian 4.0 but no sound.
> according to my experience, when installing, if i selected desktop in
> the tasksel, the audio works; if i didn't select that, i need to run
> "apt-get install libesd-alsa0", and then "alsaconf", follow the
> default settings.

My sound works without doing that:

$ dpkg -l libesd-alsa0
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name Version Description
un libesd-alsa0 <none> (no description available)

In my oppinion the relevant package is alsa-utils. If you install that
and don't have sound after a reboot, *then* you have a problem.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)