Old 09-25-2008, 04:38 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

Default unable to play some flash videos

> From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Kamaraju S
Kusumanchi
> Subject: unable to play some flash videos
>
> I am unable to play flash videos on
> http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/video/episodes/ in iceweasel. The website
> says "requires Adobe flash player 9 or greater". However, I can play
> videos
> on youtube. The problem seems specific to only some websites.
>
> Is there any one who can play videos at
> http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/video/episodes/ ?
>
> I am using Debian Etch.
> $dpkg -l *flash* | grep ^ii
> ii flashplayer-mozilla 9.0.124.0-0.0 Macromedia Flash Player
> ii libflash-mozplugin 0.4.13-8 GPL Flash (SWF) Library -
> Mozilla-compatible
> ii libflash-swfplayer 0.4.13-8 GPL Flash (SWF) Library -
stand-
> alone
> player
> ii libflash0c2 0.4.13-8 GPL Flash (SWF) Library -
shared
> library
>
> $dpkg -l *iceweasel* | grep ^ii
> ii iceweasel 2.0.0.16-0etch1 lightweight web browser
based
> on
> Mozilla
>

> Any ideas/suggestions (other than asking me to switch to windows :-))
> get
> around this?
>
> thanks
> raju
> --
> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
> http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/
> http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Same error message from that site. I am running Debian Lenny (fully
updated) with the actual flash plugin from Adobe's site installed
through iceweasle. Heh, it's kinda funny that they don't seem to notice
their own plugin...

Frankly, I have not had much luck with tv websites that stream their
online content. Everything pretty much sucks. From Mythbusters episodes
on Discovery's website to that Hulu website. I can't seem to get them to
work right.

As for suggestions...What about building a MythTV box to capture the
episodes as they air? That is what I do. And should the recording fail
for some reason (#*&!%^ Charter!) there is a famous bay for torrents
that does a really good job. ;-)

Have fun!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:21:42 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> I am unable to play flash videos on
> http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/video/episodes/ in iceweasel. The website
> says "requires Adobe flash player 9 or greater". However, I can play videos
> on youtube. The problem seems specific to only some websites.
>
> Is there any one who can play videos at
> http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/video/episodes/ ?
>
> I am using Debian Etch.
> $dpkg -l *flash* | grep ^ii
> ii flashplayer-mozilla 9.0.124.0-0.0 Macromedia Flash Player
> ii libflash-mozplugin 0.4.13-8 GPL Flash (SWF) Library -
> Mozilla-compatible
> ii libflash-swfplayer 0.4.13-8 GPL Flash (SWF) Library - stand-alone
> player
> ii libflash0c2 0.4.13-8 GPL Flash (SWF) Library - shared
> library
>
> $dpkg -l *iceweasel* | grep ^ii
> ii iceweasel 2.0.0.16-0etch1 lightweight web browser based on
> Mozilla
>

> Any ideas/suggestions (other than asking me to switch to windows :-)) to get
> around this?

Which user agent string is your browser sending? I use iceweasel 3.0.1-1
on Sid/amd64, and I get the same message unless I change the "Iceweasel"
part of the user agent string to "Firefox". Javascript has to be allowed
as well to get rid of the message.

I only get to see a Flash animation of a pulsating NBC peacock logo,
though, without any way to select and start an episode. I suspect that
this may be due to me connecting from outside of the US, or due to my
rather aggressive AdBlock filters blocking an advertisement that has to
played before the episode starts.

You also have to make sure that your iceweasel actually uses the Adobe
plugin and not one of the free (incomplete) ones. The most reliable way
to achieve this is, in my experience, to uninstall the free flash player
plugins.

Florian |

Old 09-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Ron Johnson

Same error message from that site. I am running Debian Lenny (fully
updated) with the actual flash plugin from Adobe's site installed
through iceweasle. Heh, it's kinda funny that they don't seem to notice
their own plugin...

With IW 3.0.1, I get as far as the "Shimmering Peacock", but that's
about it.

Frankly, I have not had much luck with tv websites that stream their
online content. Everything pretty much sucks. From Mythbusters episodes
on Discovery's website to that Hulu website. I can't seem to get them to
work right.

You're right. Mythbusters wants to install a proprietary move
player to view full episodes.

Short videos, though, are Flash, and they work fine.

As for suggestions...What about building a MythTV box to capture the
episodes as they air? That is what I do. And should the recording fail
for some reason (#*&!%^ Charter!) there is a famous bay for torrents
that does a really good job. ;-)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Carl Fink

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:38:06AM -0500, Stackpole, Chris wrote:

> Frankly, I have not had much luck with tv websites that stream their
> online content. Everything pretty much sucks. From Mythbusters episodes
> on Discovery's website to that Hulu website. I can't seem to get them to
> work right.

Hulu works perfectly for me, with Firefox and either the free clone or
official Flash players. Two different Lenny systems.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

> From: Carl Fink [mailto:carlf@panix.com]
> Subject: Re: unable to play some flash videos
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:38:06AM -0500, Stackpole, Chris wrote:
>
> > Frankly, I have not had much luck with tv websites that stream their
> > online content. Everything pretty much sucks. From Mythbusters
episodes
> > on Discovery's website to that Hulu website. I can't seem to get
them to
> > work right.
>
> Hulu works perfectly for me, with Firefox and either the free clone or
> official Flash players. Two different Lenny systems.
> --
> Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com
>
> Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
> Stupid mistakes you can correct!

OK well before this gets too OT...

When I go to Hulu and click any video, I get taken to a page and
everything looks OK but when I click play, the video goes to white and
nothing happens. I tried a number of shows with the same response. I was
actually composing an email detailing what I had done to replicate it
when I thought I should test on a second computer. Another Debian Lenny
(fully updated) with Adobe flash plugin. Same thing. I thought I might
really have an issue until it occurred to me that the machines I tested
were dev boxes all running 64bit (because we are planning on rolling out
new 64bit hardware when Lenny is released). So I booted up my virtual
machine with an old, not-updated-in-months, Debian Etch 32bit system. I
grabbed a newer version of Iceweasel and the flash plugins and tada! It
worked! Well as best as can be expected from a VM (little choppy and
sound was a mess). It looks like there have been quite a few
improvements because I didn't have a 64bit system the last time I tried
Hulu (some months ago and also there is a lot more content now too!).
Anyone using 64bit Debian have Hulu working?

Also...I changed the Iceweasel user agent string to Firefox and
refreshed NBC's website. Same as those before me, I just got the peacock
but nothing else.

So in summary:
NBC's website doesn't appear play well with Linux.

Hulu looks like it might be an alternative to OP's problem (
http://www.hulu.com/search/Heroes?company=nbc&type=episode ). However,
64bit seems to have problems (for me at least).

Have fun!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Nigel Henry

On Thursday 25 September 2008 18:38, Stackpole, Chris wrote:

> Same error message from that site. I am running Debian Lenny (fully
> updated) with the actual flash plugin from Adobe's site installed
> through iceweasle. Heh, it's kinda funny that they don't seem to notice
> their own plugin...
>
> Frankly, I have not had much luck with tv websites that stream their
> online content. Everything pretty much sucks. From Mythbusters episodes
> on Discovery's website to that Hulu website. I can't seem to get them to
> work right.
>
> As for suggestions...What about building a MythTV box to capture the
> episodes as they air? That is what I do. And should the recording fail
> for some reason (#*&!%^ Charter!) there is a famous bay for torrents
> that does a really good job. ;-)
>
> Have fun!

A while back I had problems listening to online music from a website in
Jersey, CI. I could access the website ok, but the music wouldn't stream. I
can't remember if it was my Archlinux install, or a Debian one, but both
install Firefox, but under a different name, and it appears that some badly
constructed websites do not recognise Firefox, if it's identified under a
different name. Iceweasel in Debian, and Minefield for firefox 3.0 in
Archlinux.

On both Lenny, and Archlinux I also installed Firefox (from the Mozilla site)
in /usr/local, to see whether they had problems with the same sites as the
versions of Firefox installed on Debian, and Archlinux did . In the case of
the Jersey site for Internet radio, this now streamed ok with Firefox from
the Mozilla site, and I now see that Firefox 2, then named Bon Echo on
Archlinux was the one that wouldn't stream the radio, but no problems in
accessing the site. See http://www.channel103.com.

Type about:config in Iceweasels address bar, scroll down to:
general.useragent.extra.firefox

On Lenny this shows as:

general.useragent.extra.firefox default string Iceweasel/3.0.1

Double click on the line, and in the box that opens, replace Iceweasel/3.0.1
with Firefox. (write down the original entry on a bit of paper, just in case)

Then try the problem site again.

There does not appear to be a problem with just changing the name to Firefox,
whether that is for Firefox2, or 3 which you have installed.

I know this fixed my problem, and maybe it will for you.

Only being on dialup, streaming video is out of the question, so I can't try
the site you're having problems with.

2 worthof perhaps nothing.

Nigel.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:18:04 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

Hello Florian,

> I only get to see a Flash animation of a pulsating NBC peacock logo,
> though, without any way to select and start an episode. I suspect that

Probably because the content is only viewable in USA.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

A friend of a friend he got beaten
I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs

Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Stackpole, Chris wrote:

> As for suggestions...What about building a MythTV box to capture the
> episodes as they air? That is what I do. And should the recording fail
> for some reason (#*&!%^ Charter!) there is a famous bay for torrents
> that does a really good job. ;-)

That is a good suggestion. But we do not get NBC at home (no cable
connection). That was the reason why we were planning to watch it from
their website.

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 09-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Carl Fink wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:38:06AM -0500, Stackpole, Chris wrote:
>
>> Frankly, I have not had much luck with tv websites that stream their
>> online content. Everything pretty much sucks. From Mythbusters episodes
>> on Discovery's website to that Hulu website. I can't seem to get them to
>> work right.
>
> Hulu works perfectly for me, with Firefox and either the free clone or
> official Flash players. Two different Lenny systems.

The videos on Hulu work fine. Thanks for suggesting it.

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Nicolas BERCHER

Hi,

with Iceweasel 3.0.1 & flashplayer-mozilla, I have many problems with
flash plugin on myspace, lastfm, etc.

It seems that's because of the recent Iceweasel upgrade I did.
How about you ?
N.