Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 PM
"Mirco Piccin"

Default vmware vmserver 2 is avail

Hi.
I've downloaded it few hours ago.

> VMware's vmserver 2 is out.
>
> Anybody figure out how to use wget to download it?

Link to download the core is:
https://www.vmware.com/freedownload/p/download.php?cmp=EMC-ServerActivation&li=license&a=DOWNLOAD_FILE&baseur l=http://download2.vmware.com/software/server/&filename=VMware-server-2.0.0-116503.i386.tar.gz

(I think it's legal to post here the link)

Hope this helps you
Regards

Old 09-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Mirco Piccin escreveu:
> Hi.
> I've downloaded it few hours ago.
>

>> VMware's vmserver 2 is out.
>>
>> Anybody figure out how to use wget to download it?
>>

> Link to download the core is:
> https://www.vmware.com/freedownload/p/download.php?cmp=EMC-ServerActivation&li=license&a=DOWNLOAD_FILE&baseur l=http://download2.vmware.com/software/server/&filename=VMware-server-2.0.0-116503.i386.tar.gz

Anyone knows if the modules compiles fine in the latest kernel, or if it
needs patches?

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Mirco Piccin wrote:

Hi.
I've downloaded it few hours ago.

VMware's vmserver 2 is out.

Anybody figure out how to use wget to download it?

Link to download the core is:
https://www.vmware.com/freedownload/p/download.php?cmp=EMC-ServerActivation&li=license&a=DOWNLOAD_FILE&baseur l=http://download2.vmware.com/software/server/&filename=VMware-server-2.0.0-116503.i386.tar.gz

(I think it's legal to post here the link)

Hope this helps you

But that's not the site to use for *wget*.

That's the site to use for X and that takes too long.

My question is: *How doo you use WGET to download vmserver 2?*

Hugo

Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 07:22 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> VMware's vmserver 2 is out.
>
> Anybody figure out how to use wget to download it?
>
> Hugo

KVM is out:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-kvm/index.html

also worth noting xen running on the same hardware, using defaults
(chicken install method) writing to local disks is 100s of a second
faster or the same speed as ESX3.5 running.

http://www.brianmadden.com/blog/GabeKnuth/BriForum-Video---Xen-vs-VMware---Ron-Oglesby

Of course vmserver IS a fine product, just offering alternatives that
also are fine products and work.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 10:12 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 07:22 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> VMware's vmserver 2 is out.
> >>
> >> Anybody figure out how to use wget to download it?
> >>
> >> Hugo
> >>

> > KVM is out:
> >
> > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-kvm/index.html
> >
> > also worth noting xen running on the same hardware, using defaults
> > (chicken install method) writing to local disks is 100s of a second
> > faster or the same speed as ESX3.5 running.
> >
> > http://www.brianmadden.com/blog/GabeKnuth/BriForum-Video---Xen-vs-VMware---Ron-Oglesby
> >
> > Of course vmserver IS a fine product, just offering alternatives that
> > also are fine products and work.
> >

> But some things are poorly done, to wit support for 2.6.26 still needing
> those hoaky patches. And no way to use wget with downloading a 524MB
> server: dedicated to M$ again.
>
> Hugo

I'll bite: what hoaky patches? I just made a kvm, loaded ubuntu from
cdrom: ~$ uname -r
2.6.26.cybo.2.0 <nothing changed in the standard Debian kernel, just
wanted to make my own.

If you mean for Xen, yea, you need to run the kernel level that 4.1
supports. That is standard application planning: Buy your hardware
based off your application. Newer does not always = better, just newer.

Were you refering to Xen when you said patches? I honestly don't know.
Educate me.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 07:22 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> VMware's vmserver 2 is out.
>
> Anybody figure out how to use wget to download it?
>
> Hugo

On another note, while I am on the subject:

They way I install server/workstation is quite different from most ways
I see published on the web on this list.

I download the .rpm: alien --scripts *.rpm

dpkg -i vmserver-blah.rpm

In this way your package manager knows it is installed. Newer versions
are easy to deal with, just use dpkg -i to install those and your
package is updated to the new version. Problems? Just use
apt/synaptic/dpkg to uninstall it.

I have never (but once during a 25 kernel IIRC) had to use the famous
any-any patch using this method.

HTH
--
Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com>

Old 09-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

[...]

No, for VMware's vmserver 1.0.7 on 2.6.26 and the wget issue is with
vmserver 2.0

Hugo

Old 09-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 07:22 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

VMware's vmserver 2 is out.

Anybody figure out how to use wget to download it?

Hugo

On another note, while I am on the subject:

They way I install server/workstation is quite different from most ways
I see published on the web on this list.

I download the .rpm: alien --scripts *.rpm

dpkg -i vmserver-blah.rpm

In this way your package manager knows it is installed. Newer versions
are easy to deal with, just use dpkg -i to install those and your
package is updated to the new version. Problems? Just use
apt/synaptic/dpkg to uninstall it.

I have never (but once during a 25 kernel IIRC) had to use the famous
any-any patch using this method.

But have you installed with either 2.6.25 or 2.6.26 kernels?

Hugo

Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 15:06 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 07:22 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> VMware's vmserver 2 is out.
> >>
> >> Anybody figure out how to use wget to download it?
> >>
> >> Hugo
> >>

> > On another note, while I am on the subject:
> >
> > They way I install server/workstation is quite different from most ways
> > I see published on the web on this list.
> >
> > I download the .rpm: alien --scripts *.rpm
> >
> > dpkg -i vmserver-blah.rpm
> >
> > In this way your package manager knows it is installed. Newer versions
> > are easy to deal with, just use dpkg -i to install those and your
> > package is updated to the new version. Problems? Just use
> > apt/synaptic/dpkg to uninstall it.
> >
> > I have never (but once during a 25 kernel IIRC) had to use the famous
> > any-any patch using this method.
> >

> But have you installed with either 2.6.25 or 2.6.26 kernels?
>
> Hugo

@dam-main:~$ uname -r
2.6.26.cybo.2.0

@dam-main:~$ dpkg -l |grep vmware
ii vmware-workstation 6.5.0-110069
VMware Workstation
ii xserver-xorg-video-vmware 1:10.16.2-1
X.Org X server -- VMware display driver