Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 PM
"Antonis Antoniou"

Default libc6

I have a machine which is debian lenny
and I have tried to upgrade the package libc6. I was having libc6 2.5-11

I install the package via dpkg and I got errors

=========
mchine:~/manual_packages# dpkg -i ./libc6_2.7-13_amd64.deb

(Reading database ... 40922 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6 2.5-11 (using ./libc6_2.7-13_amd64.deb) ...
Checking for services that may need to be restarted...
Checking init scripts...

Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
*subprocess rm cleanup killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
Setting up libc6 (2.7-13) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/gai.conf ...

Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/glibc.sh ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.postinst: line 343: 29706 Segmentation fault***** grep -q '^include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/.*.conf$' /etc/ld.so.conf
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.postinst: line 343: 29707 Segmentation fault***** rm -f /etc/ld.so.hwcappkgs

dpkg: error processing libc6 (--install):
*subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139
*libc6
========

I have a terminal opened but I cannot execute any command.

ie:
# ls
Segmentation fault
*
I cannot open a new connection via ssh

I am not physically in front of the machine since is located to a different country
If I restart the machine is going to be the same problem?

Many Thanks,
Antonis

Old 09-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Jochen Schulz

Antonis Antoniou:

> I have a machine which is debian lenny
> and I have tried to upgrade the package libc6. I was having libc6 2.5-11
>
> I install the package via dpkg and I got errors

Why do you use dpkg? Where did you get the deb from that you are trying
to install?

> =========
> mchine:~/manual_packages# dpkg -i ./libc6_2.7-13_amd64.deb

Is this machine already running AMD64?

(It should, because otherwise dpkg would complain, I just want to make
sure you are really showing what you are doing.)

> (Reading database ... 40922 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace libc6 2.5-11 (using ./libc6_2.7-13_amd64.deb) ...
> Checking for services that may need to be restarted...
> Checking init scripts...
> Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
> subprocess rm cleanup killed by signal (Segmentation fault)

To me this looks like your new libc6 is very broken and now nothing
using it (which is about everything) will work. But i might be wrong.

> I cannot open a new connection via ssh

Because everything (including new shells) segfaults, probably.

> I am not physically in front of the machine since is located to a different
> country
> If I restart the machine is going to be the same problem?

No, then you will have the problem that the machine won't boot past
runleven 1 (since everything segfaults).

I am not completely sure, but to me it looks like you need to install a
working libc6 from another system. Or recover from a backup. Or you
might be able to copy everything you need using a network file system.

J.
--
When you put a gun to my head you aren't fooling anyone.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 09-25-2008, 01:42 PM
"Antonis Antoniou"

2008/9/25 Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>

Antonis Antoniou:

> I have a machine which is debian lenny

> and I have tried to upgrade the package libc6. I was having libc6 2.5-11

> I install the package via dpkg and I got errors

Why do you use dpkg? Where did you get the deb from that you are trying

to install?
The reason I did not use aptitude because I couldn't install any package due to conflicts. If I was
trying to fix it from aptitude I would have downloaded and install a lot of packages which* I was afraid that

I would broke the machine :-)

*I got it form wget http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.7-13_amd64.deb

*

> =========

> mchine:~/manual_packages# dpkg -i ./libc6_2.7-13_amd64.deb

Is this machine already running AMD64?

Yes it is
*

(It should, because otherwise dpkg would complain, I just want to make

sure you are really showing what you are doing.)

> (Reading database ... 40922 files and directories currently installed.)

> Preparing to replace libc6 2.5-11 (using ./libc6_2.7-13_amd64.deb) ...

> Checking for services that may need to be restarted...

> Checking init scripts...

> Unpacking replacement libc6 ...

> dpkg: error while cleaning up:

> *subprocess rm cleanup killed by signal (Segmentation fault)

To me this looks like your new libc6 is very broken and now nothing

using it (which is about everything) will work. But i might be wrong.

> I cannot open a new connection via ssh

Because everything (including new shells) segfaults, probably.

> I am not physically in front of the machine since is located to a different

> country

> If I restart the machine is going to be the same problem?

No, then you will have the problem that the machine won't boot past

runleven 1 (since everything segfaults).

I am not completely sure, but to me it looks like you need to install a

working libc6 from another system. Or recover from a backup. Or you

might be able to copy everything you need using a network file system.
Basically I cannot exec rsync, scp
If I manage to get the old libc6, I used to have, and manage some how to* install it (since I cannot execute dpkg) it wil work (in theory)?

**

J.

--

* * * * * * * * <http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>

Old 09-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Jochen Schulz

Antonis Antoniou:
> 2008/9/25 Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>
>> Antonis Antoniou:
>>>
>>> I install the package via dpkg and I got errors
>>
>> Why do you use dpkg? Where did you get the deb from that you are trying
>> to install?
>
> The reason I did not use aptitude because I couldn't install any package due
> to conflicts. If I was
> trying to fix it from aptitude I would have downloaded and install a lot of
> packages which I was afraid that
> I would broke the machine :-)

> I got it form wget
> http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.7-13_amd64.deb

The problem may be that all your other programs were compiled against
the version you had installed previously (which, as I remember, was
quite old).

libc6 is a very, very important package. You cannot upgrade it to
another major version without upgrading half of your system.

>> To me this looks like your new libc6 is very broken and now nothing
>> using it (which is about everything) will work. But i might be wrong.

Correction: I guess it isn't broken in any way, it's just that all your
other programs are linked to an older version and don't work with the
new one.

> Basically I cannot exec rsync, scp
> If I manage to get the old libc6, I used to have, and manage some how to
> install it (since I cannot execute dpkg) it wil work (in theory)?

Yes, I think so.

J.
--
In an ideal world I would cure poverty and go to the gym at least three
days a week.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-09-25 19:15 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:

> The problem may be that all your other programs were compiled against
> the version you had installed previously (which, as I remember, was
> quite old).

No, not that old -- even newer than the version in Etch.

> libc6 is a very, very important package. You cannot upgrade it to
> another major version without upgrading half of your system.

This is simply not true.

>>> To me this looks like your new libc6 is very broken and now nothing
>>> using it (which is about everything) will work. But i might be wrong.
>
> Correction: I guess it isn't broken in any way, it's just that all your
> other programs are linked to an older version and don't work with the
> new one.

Please stop spreading that clueless FUD. In fact, the glibc has been
upward-compatible for more than 10 years and will likely remain so for
another decade.

>> Basically I cannot exec rsync, scp
>> If I manage to get the old libc6, I used to have, and manage some how to
>> install it (since I cannot execute dpkg) it wil work (in theory)?
>
> Yes, I think so.

Only that it will be difficult to unpack it, unless there is some
statically linked program on the system that can do that.

Sven

Old 09-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Jochen Schulz

Sven Joachim:
> On 2008-09-25 19:15 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>
>> Correction: I guess it isn't broken in any way, it's just that all your
>> other programs are linked to an older version and don't work with the
>> new one.
>
> Please stop spreading that clueless FUD. In fact, the glibc has been
> upward-compatible for more than 10 years and will likely remain so for
> another decade.

I am sorry if my guesses have been wrong.

>>> Basically I cannot exec rsync, scp
>>> If I manage to get the old libc6, I used to have, and manage some how to
>>> install it (since I cannot execute dpkg) it wil work (in theory)?
>>
>> Yes, I think so.
>
> Only that it will be difficult to unpack it, unless there is some
> statically linked program on the system that can do that.

Sure, that's why I hinted that another, working system is probably
needed. If the OP has access to a serial console he might be able to
boot off a rescue disk or something like that.

J.
--
I use a Playstation to block out the existence of my partner.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 09-26-2008, 01:13 AM
"Antonis Antoniou"

On 2008-09-25 19:15 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:

> The problem may be that all your other programs were compiled against

> the version you had installed previously (which, as I remember, was

> quite old).

No, not that old -- even newer than the version in Etch.

> libc6 is a very, very important package. You cannot upgrade it to

> another major version without upgrading half of your system.

This is simply not true.

>>> To me this looks like your new libc6 is very broken and now nothing

>>> using it (which is about everything) will work. But i might be wrong.

> Correction: I guess it isn't broken in any way, it's just that all your

> other programs are linked to an older version and don't work with the

> new one.

Please stop spreading that clueless FUD. *In fact, the glibc has been

upward-compatible for more than 10 years and will likely remain so for

another decade.

>> Basically I cannot exec rsync, scp

>> If I manage to get the old libc6, I used to have, and manage some how to

>> install it (since I cannot execute dpkg) it wil work (in theory)?

> Yes, I think so.

Only that it will be difficult to unpack it, unless there is some

statically linked program on the system that can do that.
I wish, I could execute dpkg but I cannot.
I have the old package and it lies on /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.5-11_amd64.deb

*

Sven

Old 09-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 04:13:42AM +0300, Antonis Antoniou wrote:
> 2008/9/25 Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>
>
> > On 2008-09-25 19:15 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> >
> > > The problem may be that all your other programs were compiled against
> > > the version you had installed previously (which, as I remember, was
> > > quite old).
> >
> > No, not that old -- even newer than the version in Etch.
> >
> > > libc6 is a very, very important package. You cannot upgrade it to
> > > another major version without upgrading half of your system.
> >
> > This is simply not true.

> > > Correction: I guess it isn't broken in any way, it's just that all your
> > > other programs are linked to an older version and don't work with the
> > > new one.
> >
> > Please stop spreading that clueless FUD. In fact, the glibc has been
> > upward-compatible for more than 10 years and will likely remain so for
> > another decade.

> > > Yes, I think so.
> >
> > Only that it will be difficult to unpack it, unless there is some
> > statically linked program on the system that can do that.

busybox-static, if youi happen to have it installed.

Any chance you still have a browser running there? It should be able to
download files from a remote host.

> I wish, I could execute dpkg but I cannot.
> I have the old package and it lies on
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.5-11_amd64.deb

Short of that, I guess that the only way to fix this is to boot in a
rescue system, copy stuff in and chroot. Any better suggestions?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend