Old 09-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Achim Stumpf

Default ping MAC address

Hi,

I have looked around, and I have found on the net that once arping could ping mac addresses, but it turns out that it is not possible anymore with newer version of arping.

Does anyone know a tool which is able to ping a mac address?

arping:

# arping 00:0D:604:4B:52
arping: unknown host 00:0D:604:4B:52

I just want a tool to test if my host is able to contact another host via mac address, without the need of an ip. And yes, they are on the same subnet without a router.

Thanks,

Achim

Old 09-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Ron Johnson

I have looked around, and I have found on the net that once arping could
ping mac addresses, but it turns out that it is not possible anymore
with newer version of arping.

Does anyone know a tool which is able to ping a mac address?

arping:

# arping 00:0D:604:4B:52
arping: unknown host 00:0D:604:4B:52

Works for me on Sid.

# arping -h
ARPing 2.08, by Thomas Habets <thomas@habets.pp.se>
[snip]

# arping -R -c 5 00:1E:E5:7A:5E:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Achim Stumpf

Ron Johnson schrieb:

I have looked around, and I have found on the net that once arping
could ping mac addresses, but it turns out that it is not possible
anymore with newer version of arping.

Does anyone know a tool which is able to ping a mac address?

arping:

# arping 00:0D:604:4B:52
arping: unknown host 00:0D:604:4B:52

Works for me on Sid.

# arping -h
ARPing 2.08, by Thomas Habets <thomas@habets.pp.se>
[snip]

# arping -R -c 5 00:1E:E5:7A:5E:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07
00:1e:e5:7a:5e:07

On etch this does not work. Does anyone know what's the story with arping on etch?

Options on etch:

# arping
Usage: arping [-fqbDUAV] [-c count] [-w timeout] [-I device] [-s source] destination
-f : quit on first reply
-q : be quiet
-b : keep broadcasting, don't go unicast
-D : duplicate address detection mode
-U : Unsolicited ARP mode, update your neighbours