Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Lubos Vrbka

Default external USB harddrive not recognized when present at boot

hi guys,

i am encountering an interesting (and annoying) problem. when the
external USB harddrive is plugged in during boot (i have dell d430 with
d/port port replicator - the drive is connected to one of the usb ports
on the d/port), i can hear it spinning in the very beginning, but then
it powers down and won't get recognized. it's neither shown in
/dev/disk/by-uuid nor do the udev rules apply to create the node in /dev.

apparently, it has something to do with this error showing up approx. 4
seconds after the boot start, at the time when the drive spins.

usb 5-8.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 5-8.3: device descriptor read/64, error -32
usb 5-8.3: device descriptor read/64, error -32
usb 5-8.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 5-8.3: device descriptor read/64, error -32
usb 5-8.3: device descriptor read/64, error -32
usb 5-8.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
usb 5-8.3: device not accepting address 7, error -32
usb 5-8.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
usb 5-8.3: device not accepting address 8, error -32

since after unplugging and plugging again, the harddrive is recognized,
udev plays its part and i am getting the respective device nodes in /dev.

usb 5-8.3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
usb 5-8.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 5-8.3: New USB device found, idVendor=04fc, idProduct=0c15
usb 5-8.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=1
usb 5-8.3: Product: USB to Serial-ATA bridge
usb 5-8.3: Manufacturer: Sunplus Technology Inc.
usb 5-8.3: SerialNumber: SAMSUNG HDS0MUJ2KP933468
usb-storage: device found at 10
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access SAMSUNG HD501LJ PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
scsi 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 38 00 00 00
sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 38 00 00 00
sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

this is on lenny/amd64 with up-to-date installation. on my previous
laptop with etch, even when the drive was present on boot, it would be
recognized and taken care of by udev, iirc (it would spin immediatelly
on boot start and then once more during the boot procedure).

does anybody have any hint as how to proceed from here?

thanks,
lubos

--
Lubos _@_"
http://www.lubos.vrbka.net

Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 AM
"Clifford W. Hansen"

On Thursday 25 September 2008 09:34:28 Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> [...]
> Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
> sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
> sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
> sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 38 00 00 00
> sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
> sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
> sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
> sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 38 00 00 00
> sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
> sda: sda1
> sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
>
> this is on lenny/amd64 with up-to-date installation. on my previous
> laptop with etch, even when the drive was present on boot, it would be
> recognized and taken care of by udev, iirc (it would spin immediatelly
> on boot start and then once more during the boot procedure).
>
> does anybody have any hint as how to proceed from here?

Lubos,

My first thought would be to try without the D/Port, as in connect the drive
to one of the machines USB ports and see if that works...

I have never used a D/Port, so I'm shooting in the dark as it were but I do
remember someone once before had an issue with devices on a D/Port...

PS. maybe also try the debian-laptop list

HTH
--
Thank you,

Clifford W. Hansen
PHP Developer / Linux Administrator

(Cell) +27 82 883 8677
(Fax) +27 86 503 0634
(E-Mail) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
(MSN) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
(GPG) 0x936D6C19

"We have seen strange things today!"

Old 09-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Ron Johnson

[...]

Is it an externally-powered drive? If so, maybe newer kernels are
slower to react to your drive.

But then, I've got an external Firewire drive, and it's recognized
at boot, as are all my thumb drives, so maybe your product doesn't
follow some spec well enough, and new kernels are more strict than
older kernels.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Lubos Vrbka

My first thought would be to try without the D/Port, as in connect the drive
to one of the machines USB ports and see if that works...
well, in this case it works. the drive is power-cycled twice during the
boot process and udev takes care of it.

I have never used a D/Port, so I'm shooting in the dark as it were but I do
remember someone once before had an issue with devices on a D/Port...
well, the funny thing is that other device connected to the usb on
d/port (wacom tablet) works fine... maybe it might be something related
to the drive itself?

PS. maybe also try the debian-laptop list

thanks for a hint, i'll probably try it...

best,

--
Lubos _@_"
http://www.lubos.vrbka.net

Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Lubos Vrbka

Ron Johnson wrote:

i am encountering an interesting (and annoying) problem. when the
external USB harddrive is plugged in during boot (i have dell d430
with d/port port replicator - the drive is connected to one of the usb
ports on the d/port), i can hear it spinning in the very beginning,
but then it powers down and won't get recognized. it's neither shown
in /dev/disk/by-uuid nor do the udev rules apply to create the node in
/dev.

Is it an externally-powered drive? If so, maybe newer kernels are
slower to react to your drive.
yes, it is an externally-powered drive. but when connected directly to
the notebook, it works...

But then, I've got an external Firewire drive, and it's recognized at
boot, as are all my thumb drives, so maybe your product doesn't follow
some spec well enough, and new kernels are more strict than older kernels.

would there be any way how to find you if this is the case?

best,
lubos

--
Lubos _@_"
http://www.lubos.vrbka.net

Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Lubos Vrbka

hi guys,

i posted this question originally on debian-user, but was suggested to
post here as well...

Old 09-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Lubos Vrbka