Old 09-24-2008, 01:52 PM
John Culleton

Default Grub overkill

This is more of an annoyance than a serious problem but whenever I
build a Debian or Debian-derivative OS and grub detects other OS it
overdetects them. I have a single Slackware partition. Grub always
lists this partition from 4 to 6 times and the first listing on the
screen doesn't work. I have no doubt that I can search out the
pertinent grub file and delete the extras but I wonder why I have
to .
--
John Culleton

Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:52:46 -0400
John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> This is more of an annoyance than a serious problem but whenever I
> build a Debian or Debian-derivative OS and grub detects other OS it
> overdetects them. I have a single Slackware partition. Grub always
> lists this partition from 4 to 6 times and the first listing on the
> screen doesn't work. I have no doubt that I can search out the
> pertinent grub file and delete the extras but I wonder why I have
> to .
> --

Try out grub2. The older grub is in legacy mode and basically no new
development is done there.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Dexter Filmore

Am Donnerstag, 25. September 2008 04:30:55 schrieb Amit Uttamchandani:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:52:46 -0400
>
> John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > This is more of an annoyance than a serious problem but whenever I
> > build a Debian or Debian-derivative OS and grub detects other OS it
> > overdetects them. I have a single Slackware partition. Grub always
> > lists this partition from 4 to 6 times and the first listing on the
> > screen doesn't work. I have no doubt that I can search out the
> > pertinent grub file and delete the extras but I wonder why I have
> > to .
> > --
>
> Try out grub2. The older grub is in legacy mode and basically no new
> development is done there.

grub2 is so totally not recommendable right now. It's not officially released,
specs might change, documentation is quasi-non-existent.
As mcuh as I'd like to see it on distros as soon as possible. On multi boot
machines grub is a pain in the ass.

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de

Old 09-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Saturday 27 September 2008 10:04 am, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 25. September 2008 04:30:55 schrieb Amit Uttamchandani:
> > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:52:46 -0400
> >
> > John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > > This is more of an annoyance than a serious problem but whenever I
> > > build a Debian or Debian-derivative OS and grub detects other OS it
> > > overdetects them. I have a single Slackware partition. Grub always
> > > lists this partition from 4 to 6 times and the first listing on the
> > > screen doesn't work. I have no doubt that I can search out the
> > > pertinent grub file and delete the extras but I wonder why I have
> > > to .
> > > --

As root, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove the offending lines. Grub adds
to existing options, it doesn't remove lines in case you need to roll back to
a previous configuration.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:18 PM
"john@wexfordpress.com"

On Sep 27, 1:30 pm, Mark Neidorff <m...@neidorff.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 27 September 2008 10:04 am, Dexter Filmore wrote:
>
> > Am Donnerstag, 25. September 2008 04:30:55 schrieb Amit Uttamchandani:

> As root, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove the offending lines. Grub adds
> to existing options, it doesn't remove lines in case you need to roll back to
> a previous configuration.

Well I am searching for grub.conf now. It doesn't seem to exist.
Instead I edited /boot/grub/menu.lst.

BTW the accretion description doesn't hold water. I got three entries
for one Slack partition on a brand new install.
Different kernels were specified. The last one was correct.

If I could figure out how to boot a Debian partition from Lilo I would
say goodbye and good riddance to
Grub. But I keep getting kernel panics.

John Culleton