-   -   Modem Net Access. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/165397-modem-net-access.html)

"Telaman Consultancies" 09-24-2008 12:42 PM

Modem Net Access.

Greetings all.

I feel that I'm missing something really obvious.

I'm getting a connection, through a dial-up modem that is working.
I know this, not just from modem lcd readouts, but because I'm
sending this from the same computer with the same
modem/connection/ISP, the only difference being that I have taken out
the mobile rack with Etch AMD64 on it and put in another with MS XP.
Email and browser both work.

Etch connects just as efficiently through 'pon' in a root terminal,
but konqueror, galeon, sylpheed-claws-gtk2 and icedove all fail in
the access factor "No connection".
Account config with all of them are correct.
On etch, I removed the firewall completely.
Same result-no access.

So it's a config problem somewhere?
All permissions seem to be valid.

Any clues?

Thanks for any time and trouble.
Regards,

David.

Kent West 09-24-2008 01:41 PM

Modem Net Access.

Telaman Consultancies wrote:
> Etch connects just as efficiently through 'pon' in a root terminal,
> but konqueror, galeon, sylpheed-claws-gtk2 and icedove all fail in
> the access factor "No connection".

So you're getting a valid IP address? Can you ping your router/gateway?

--
Kent West <")))><

Celejar 09-24-2008 01:44 PM

Modem Net Access.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:42:13 +0800
"Telaman Consultancies" <davidpalmer@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Greetings all.
>
> I feel that I'm missing something really obvious.
>
> I'm getting a connection, through a dial-up modem that is working.
> I know this, not just from modem lcd readouts, but because I'm
> sending this from the same computer with the same
> modem/connection/ISP, the only difference being that I have taken out
> the mobile rack with Etch AMD64 on it and put in another with MS XP.
> Email and browser both work.
>
> Etch connects just as efficiently through 'pon' in a root terminal,
> but konqueror, galeon, sylpheed-claws-gtk2 and icedove all fail in
> the access factor "No connection".
> Account config with all of them are correct.
> On etch, I removed the firewall completely.
> Same result-no access.
>
> So it's a config problem somewhere?
> All permissions seem to be valid.

What does 'ifconfig -a' show? Can you ping anything? dmesg and syslog
output? What type of modem (form factor, chipset, driver, etc)?

Celejar

"David Palmer" 09-24-2008 05:58 PM

Modem Net Access.

O.K., Kent and Celejar.

Sorry for the delay, but I've got to shutdown, remove the drive, put another
in, reboot, install gpmand then hit the logs to find any discrepancies
anywhere.

Type up what I find, then do the procedure in reverse.

Anyway, here I am:

Nothing I can spot in syslog.
The kernal picks up the one and only serial port on boot -I'm running a
6400+ on an Asus M3A, so it's only got the one serial port and just one IDE
channel.
And everything looks alright all the way through the ppp connect procedure
also.

ifconfig -a?
I did before, and after connect, to see what holes there might be in the
bucket.

Juggernaut:/home/weaver# ifconfig -a
Io Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
TX packets: 258 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:37617 (36.7 KiB) TX bytes:37617 (36.7 KiB)

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Juggernaut:/home/weaver#pon
Juggernaut:/home/weaver#ifconfig -a
Juggernaut:/home/weaver#

So, the connection is there the apps just can't access it.

I think we're back to config somewhere.
Regards and thanks for any further suggestions,

David.

Celejar 09-24-2008 10:48 PM

Modem Net Access.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:58:04 +0800
"David Palmer" <Telaman@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> ifconfig -a?
> I did before, and after connect, to see what holes there might be in the
> bucket.
>
> Juggernaut:/home/weaver# ifconfig -a
> Io Link encap:Local Loopback
> inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
> inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
> TX packets: 258 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> RX bytes:37617 (36.7 KiB) TX bytes:37617 (36.7 KiB)
>
> sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
> NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>
> Juggernaut:/home/weaver#pon
> Juggernaut:/home/weaver#ifconfig -a
> Juggernaut:/home/weaver#

? Where's the output from the second ifconfig?

Celejar