Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 AM
Frederico Rodrigues Abraham

Default cedilla on a us_intl keyboard

I finally found out the solution, after 3 years

It's here:

http://cassianoleal.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/how-to-get-the-c-cedilla-on-gnome/

-- Fred

Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Frederico Rodrigues Abraham wrote:

I finally found out the solution, after 3 years

It's here:

http://cassianoleal.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/how-to-get-the-c-cedilla-on-gnome/

But I don't have Gnome. And found this:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~johns/kbukint.html

and so using the AltGr (Alt key to the right of the spacebar):

AltGr + , + c =

Thanks Google!

Hugo

Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Franois Cerbelle

Le Mer 24 septembre 2008 13:24, Hugo Vanwoerkom a crit :
> But I don't have Gnome. And found this:
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~johns/kbukint.html
> and so using the AltGr (Alt key to the right of the spacebar):
> AltGr + , + c =

Hi,

I use the Happy Hacking Keyboard (US QWERTY, 60 keys) and I am French, so
I very often need theses strange caracters with accents. I use the
"us_intl" layout in the xorg.conf file and I don't need to press AltGr.
The accent ekys are always dead, so I need to press two keys one after the
other to get all kind of caracters :
"'" + " " = "'"
"'" + "e" = ""
"'" + "c" = ""
"`" + "u" = ""

It works with upper case and lower case letters, with a lot of accents ( ~
' " ` ) over (or under) nearly every caracter. It works directly in X, so,
without a WindowManager, with XFCE or any other WM (as long as it does not
reconfigure the mapping as Gnome does). And I use the same configuration
(console-data) on console.

Fanfan
--
http://www.cerbelle.net - http://www.afdm-idf.org

Old 09-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

François Cerbelle wrote:

and so using the AltGr (Alt key to the right of the spacebar):
AltGr + , + c = ç

Hi,

I use the Happy Hacking Keyboard (US QWERTY, 60 keys) and I am French, so
I very often need theses strange caracters with accents. I use the
"us_intl" layout in the xorg.conf file and I don't need to press AltGr.
The accent ekys are always dead, so I need to press two keys one after the
other to get all kind of caracters :
"'" + " " = "'"
"'" + "e" = "é"
"'" + "c" = "ç"
"`" + "u" = "ù"

It works with upper case and lower case letters, with a lot of accents ( ~
' " ` ) over (or under) nearly every caracter. It works directly in X, so,
without a WindowManager, with XFCE or any other WM (as long as it does not
reconfigure the mapping as Gnome does). And I use the same configuration
(console-data) on console.

I also use the "us-intl" in xorg.conf but "'" + "c" gives me ć not ç.

Hugo

Old 09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Strange. I thought the us_intl keyboard had been removed from
Debian years ago. Nowadays you use the us keyboard with the
alt-intl /keyboard variant/.

It seems that many Debian users (including members of this list)
are not aware of the glorious Unix "Compose Key". You press
Compose, and then some other characters, and magically a character
is produced which is a kind of "graphical combination" of those
characters. So a c-cedilla (ç) is made by Compose, comma, c. A
German "double s" (ß) by means of Compose, s, s. A British pound
(currency) sign (₤) by Compose, L, =.

Etcetera, etcetera; hundreds of such combinations are pre-defined,
and you can also define your own.

Now where is the Compose key? I /think/ the Debian default is: the
right "windows" key is Compose (but I am not sure; it's been ages
since I set up a Debian system from scratch). In any case the
position of the Compose key can be specified through the GUI on
Gnome/Ubuntu and KDE. If you have no Compose key defined, you can
also set it by specifying in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, in the
keyboard section:

Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"

See also

http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html#T6.1

Regards, Jan

Old 09-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Hugh Lawson

Frederico Rodrigues Abraham <devotion97@gmail.com> writes:

> I finally found out the solution, after 3 years

Let me make a different suggestion, not a better one necessarily, but
just a different one. Critiques are welcome, in case I have a typo or
get something wrong.

Debian Etch, fluxbox

Put these settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:menu"
EndSection

Put this entry into /etc/environment

LANG="en_US.iso885915"

With this setting, on my system, the 'locale' command produces this
output:

LANG=en_US.iso885915
LC_CTYPE="en_US.iso885915"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.iso885915"
LC_TIME="en_US.iso885915"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.iso885915"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.iso885915"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.iso885915"
LC_PAPER="en_US.iso885915"
LC_NAME="en_US.iso885915"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.iso885915"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.iso885915"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.iso885915"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.iso885915"
LC_ALL=

In this way I have a regular US keyboard with no dead keys, but
using menu as the Multi_key, I can produce most of the accented
characters, including the c cedilla.

This works because the compose-key settings (Multi_key) are regulate
in X by

/usr/share/X11/locale/iso8859-15/Compose

And the "compose:menu" setting in /etc/X11/xorg.conf designates the
Multi_key, which is the compose key in X.

--
Hugh Lawson
hlawson@triad.rr.com

Old 09-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

[...]

Good point Jan Willem, Florian has pointed this out before:

Hugo

Old 09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

>> It seems that many Debian users (including members of this
>> list) are not aware of the glorious Unix "Compose Key". You
>> press Compose, and then some other characters, and magically
>> a character is produced which is a kind of "graphical
>> combination" of those characters. So a c-cedilla (ç) is made
>> by Compose, comma, c. A German "double s" (ß) by means of
>> Compose, s, s. A British pound (currency) sign (₤) by
>> Compose, L, =.

> Good point Jan Willem, Florian has pointed this out before:
>
> Hugo

It seems I missed that thread. But anyway it is true that the
Compose key (a Unix/Linux feature, Windows doesn't have it) is a
very useful tool.

However, that thread did not quite answer the question posed by
its OP (Manon Metten). With the Compose key, you need 3 keystrokes
to make, e.g., á (Compose, ', a). If you use a true "dead keys"
method, you need only 2 keystrokes (', a). The downside then is
that to produce ' by itself, you need to follow the ' keypress by
a space, or press Alt-'. The choice between the "dead keys" method
and the "Compose" method is a matter of taste, depending on the
language(s) that you normally work with. For US users who only
need accented characters very rarely, the Compose method is
probably the best.

To enable true "dead keys" on an ordinary US keyboard you can set
a "dead key variant" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Option "XkbVariant" "alt-intl"

("Dead keys", which already existed in European mechanical
typewriters, were called "dead" because they did not advance the
paper-carrying "carriage". So a following character overprinted them.)

The xkb subsystem on modern versions of Linux has many more
wonderful features, especially if you convert your system to utf-8
(which is easy, and already the default on fresh installations of
Debian, I believe).

Regards, Jan

Old 09-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Chris Bannister

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 09:09:11AM -0400, Hugh Lawson wrote:
> Put this entry into /etc/environment
>
> LANG="en_US.iso885915"
>
> With this setting, on my system, the 'locale' command produces this
> output:
>
> LANG=en_US.iso885915
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_TIME="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_PAPER="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_NAME="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.iso885915"
> LC_ALL=

I think the canonical way to set the locale is
'dpkg-reconfigure locales'

Do you have to put that setting in /etc/environment?

--
Chris.
======

Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 23:32:07 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 09:09:11AM -0400, Hugh Lawson wrote:
> > Put this entry into /etc/environment
> >
> > LANG="en_US.iso885915"
> >
> > With this setting, on my system, the 'locale' command produces this
> > output:
> >
> > LANG=en_US.iso885915
> > LC_CTYPE="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_NUMERIC="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_TIME="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_COLLATE="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_MONETARY="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_MESSAGES="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_PAPER="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_NAME="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_ADDRESS="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.iso885915"
> > LC_ALL=
>
> I think the canonical way to set the locale is
> 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'
>
> Do you have to put that setting in /etc/environment?

AFAIK, /etc/environment is deprecated. If you choose to set up a
system-wide default setting with "dpkg-reconfigure locales" (the last
dialog option) then it will be saved in /etc/default/locale. You can
change this file afterwards, but you should only set locales that have
been generated on your system.

To have user-specific settings, you can export the corresponding
environmental variables in the startup scripts of your $SHELL and/or
desktop environment.

Florian |