Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Florian Kulzer

Default cmake and Scribus 1.3.5 on Debian testing

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 15:08:20 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> I just installed Debian testing for the specific purpose of building
> the bleeding edge version of Scribus. Scribus 1.3.5 requires cmake.

Did you try the scribus-ng package from unstable already? It is
currently at version 1.3.5 + svn20080717, and it is probably installable
on Lenny.

(If your main purpose is to build scribus yourself, or if you want an
even newer version from SVN, then please ignore this message; I just
want to make sure that you know about the existence of scribus-ng.)

Florian |

Old 09-23-2008, 07:59 PM
John Culleton

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 03:33:15 pm Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 15:08:20 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> > I just installed Debian testing for the specific purpose of
> > building the bleeding edge version of Scribus. Scribus 1.3.5
> > requires cmake.
>
> Did you try the scribus-ng package from unstable already? It is
> currently at version 1.3.5 + svn20080717, and it is probably
> installable on Lenny.
>
> (If your main purpose is to build scribus yourself, or if you want
> an even newer version from SVN, then please ignore this message; I
> just want to make sure that you know about the existence of
> scribus-ng.)
>
> --
> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> Florian |

Do I just use:
apt-get install scribus-ng?

That would be "new" enough for me :<). I can redo it periodically.

--
John Culleton

Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Ron Johnson

I just installed Debian testing for the specific purpose of
building the bleeding edge version of Scribus. Scribus 1.3.5
requires cmake.

Did you try the scribus-ng package from unstable already? It is
currently at version 1.3.5 + svn20080717, and it is probably
installable on Lenny.

(If your main purpose is to build scribus yourself, or if you want
an even newer version from SVN, then please ignore this message; I
just want to make sure that you know about the existence of
scribus-ng.)

Do I just use:
apt-get install scribus-ng?

That would be "new" enough for me :<). I can redo it periodically.

Yup...

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 PM
John Culleton

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 05:31:14 pm Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 09/23/08 14:59, John Culleton wrote:
> >>
> >> Did you try the scribus-ng package from unstable already? It is
> >> currently at version 1.3.5 + svn20080717, and it is probably
> >> installable on Lenny.
> >>
> >> (If your main purpose is to build scribus yourself, or if you
> >> want an even newer version from SVN, then please ignore this
> >> message; I just want to make sure that you know about the
> >> existence of scribus-ng.)
> >
> > Do I just use:
> > apt-get install scribus-ng?
> >
> > That would be "new" enough for me :<). I can redo it
> > periodically.
>
> Yup...

Unfortunately that got me 1.3.4 which is no longer under development
and is not recommended for use. In fact it should not be in the
repository. Perhaps 1.3.5 hasn't been put in the repository yet, or
I am addressing it wrong, or I am addresssing the wrong repository or
something else. But I would hope that testing would have the most
recent copy of any program.

I continue on with the cmake follies. I got through the Jpeg, tiff,
png etc. stumbling blocks but now I am hung up on python. Here is
the error message:
CMake Error
at /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:52
(MESSAGE):
Could NOT find PythonLibs
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPythonLibs.cmake:86
(FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
CMakeLists.txt:451 (FIND_PACKAGE)
I tried loading various libs etc. including one called pythonize but
no joy yet. Suggestions?

--
John Culleton

Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

Next time, I'll remember to re-read the Subject line!

You need to add the unstable repository into your sources.list, and
then:

# apt-get install scribus-ng/unstable

$ apt-cache policy scribus-ng
scribus-ng:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 1.3.5.dfsg~svn20080717-1
Version table:
1.3.5.dfsg~svn20080717-1 0
500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main Packages

I am addressing it wrong, or I am addresssing the wrong repository or
something else. But I would hope that testing would have the most
recent copy of any program.

I continue on with the cmake follies. I got through the Jpeg, tiff,
png etc. stumbling blocks but now I am hung up on python. Here is
the error message:

CMake Error
at /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:52
(MESSAGE):

Could NOT find PythonLibs
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPythonLibs.cmake:86
(FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)

CMakeLists.txt:451 (FIND_PACKAGE)
I tried loading various libs etc. including one called pythonize but
no joy yet. Suggestions?

Hmmm. Error message is not too specific as to what Python libraries
it's looking for. Maybe if you ask the scribus list, then we can
tell you which Debian package you need.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:02 AM
"Mumia W.."

I continue on with the cmake follies. I got through the Jpeg, tiff,
png etc. stumbling blocks but now I am hung up on python. Here is
the error message:

CMake Error
at /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:52
(MESSAGE):

Could NOT find PythonLibs
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPythonLibs.cmake:86
(FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)

CMakeLists.txt:451 (FIND_PACKAGE)
I tried loading various libs etc. including one called pythonize but
no joy yet. Suggestions?

The typical incantation for preparing to build from the source suggests
this:

apt-get install build-essential
apt-get build-dep scribus

That should bring in all of the build dependencies for scribus. Read
"man apt-get" and search for the build-dep command.