Old 09-23-2008, 05:57 AM
"Mridul Manohar Mishra"

Default Unpredictable behaviour of Sata in Lenny

Hi,

** I am facing a weird problem in Lenny, till now I have been
running Etch without any problem. Two days ago I upgraded to Lenny,
installation went smooth, I was able to install Nvidia drivers
properly. Everything ran OK. But then I shutdown my system (power-off)
and tried to power on again after a couple of minutes. The system
booted to Grub, I chose linux to boot into (I have dual boot with Lenny
and XP) it went until certain point and then displayed error saying :

*"Sata link is down, taking too much time to respond."

"SRST failed (error -16)."

After then it displayed

"slowing down the SATA link to 1.5 GHz "

again the same SATA errors and it left me on the prompt with* initramfs prompt.

I tried resetting my system couple of times but of no avail. Then I
tried booting into XP to see whether there is something really wrong
with my drive, I logged in to XP successfully. Re-booted the system
again and this time booted into linux and to my surprise everything ran
fine.

I tried to generate the same scenario just to make sure whether it was
one off case, but it wasn't. Now if want to power on my PC, I need to
boot in to windows first and then reboot my system into linux. I can't
log into Linux from power on, directly.

I checked my BIOS to make sure if anything in BIOS is wrong, but
nothing seems wrong with my BIOS. I have 4 sata ports on my Mother
Board and the disk is connected to port number 2. I have DVD drive
connected to IDE port. My boot preference is Hard disk first ( dunno
whether this information is of any relevence).

There seems to be a problem with my Lan also, sometimes it shows
limited connectivity and to correct this also I need to boot in to
windows.

I have a Intel Q660 system with Nvidia Mother board and 9600GT graphics
card. I installed the driver provided by Nvidia in Nvidia way (not the
Debian way) hope this is not the cause of the problem.

Anybody, please help me out on this in locating what the problem might
be. I want to look into the details of the problem but have got no clue
where to start with and what the cause might be.

Thanks in advance

****** Mridul

Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 AM
Tristan Terpelle

I've had similar problems with my nVidia 7050/630a chipset and Etch. If I
used the the stock 2.6.18 kernel, the screen filled up with those "Sata
link is down, taking too much time to respond." messages during boottime.

I think I didn't even see a prompt because it took too long to get there.
After installing a newer kernel (2.6.22 in my case), the SATA problems were
gone.

I guess you just need a newer kernel.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:27:04 +0530
"Mridul Manohar Mishra" <mridulmmishra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am facing a weird problem in Lenny, till now I have been running Etch
> without any problem. Two days ago I upgraded to Lenny, installation went

If I'm not mistaken, when you upgrade from Etch to Lenny. You are still
using the default old kernel from etch. Like the other posted said,
just upgrade to the latest kernel.

Good luck

Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM
"Mridul Manohar Mishra"

> If I'm not mistaken, when you upgrade from Etch to Lenny. You are still

> using the default old kernel from etch. Like the other posted said,

> just upgrade to the latest kernel.

Actually I did a fresh install as I messed up during updation. This is a fresh installation.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:03 AM
"Mridul Manohar Mishra"

Actualy I did a fresh installation so I got the new kernel 2.6.26 and I do not have the old kernel listing on my grub list....as far as old kernel is concerned I never got this problem on Etch!!!

Sounds like a problem with a new kernel. Did upgrading to lenny upgrade your kernel? If so you should still have a listing in the grub menu for the old kernel, try selecting that and see if it still hangs...

Old 09-27-2008, 06:15 AM
"Mridul Manohar Mishra"

I found this bug report after googling for a while :
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.rc/browse_thread/thread/b08bef84180f870e?pli=1

and a possible solution to the problem :http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.rc/browse_thread/thread/b08bef84180f870e?pli=1

Hopefully it might help others facing the same problem as me....
Regards,Mridul