Old 09-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

Default High frequency of laptop drive load/unload cycles: is Debian affected?

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> In short: is a default Debian installation affected by this bug? (I
> know I am not affected, but just wanted to make sure...).

Yes.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 09-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > In short: is a default Debian installation affected by this bug? (I
> > know I am not affected, but just wanted to make sure...).
>
> Sorry, the question is made irrelevant now, thanks to this:
>
> (fixed bug):

Ah, I thought you mean this one:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_hard_drive_clicking

where the BIOS itself keeps enabling the APM mode of the drive.

I'd guess on the newest boxes, that will happen only if the kernel (libata
with ACPI support) does not filter out the APM commands from the stream of
crap the BIOS wants the ACPI OS to feed to the drives.

Henrique Holschuh