Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default The Lilo/initrd.img Problem Has Recurred

Last month when lilo could not boot a stock 2.6.26-1-amd64 debian system
it was pointed out to me that the initrd.img was too big and that the
solution was to edit /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and change
MODULES=most to MODULES=dep. This indeed reduced the size of the
initrd.img from about 9000000 to 5008590 and all was well until the most
recent update of update-initramfs. Now even with MODULES=dep
update-initramfs generates a 7787042 initrd.img and again lilo cannot
boot the system.

Fortunately I have saved a 2.6.24-1-amd64 kernel image and its
initrd.img which is just 4943450 so my system is still bootable.

Tom George

Old 09-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:08:24 -0400 Thomas H. George wrote:

> Last month when lilo could not boot a stock 2.6.26-1-amd64 debian
> system it was pointed out to me that the initrd.img was too big and
> that the solution was to edit /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and
> change MODULES=most to MODULES=dep. This indeed reduced the size of
> the initrd.img from about 9000000 to 5008590 and all was well until
> the most recent update of update-initramfs. Now even with MODULES=dep
> update-initramfs generates a 7787042 initrd.img and again lilo cannot
> boot the system.

Try with

BUSYBOX=no

Something indeed has happened, but I don't think it's initramfs-tools.
My initrd for 2.6.25 is 1,5M and the one for 2.6.26 is 6,2M...

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:57:49PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:08:24 -0400 Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > Last month when lilo could not boot a stock 2.6.26-1-amd64 debian
> > system it was pointed out to me that the initrd.img was too big and
> > that the solution was to edit /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and
> > change MODULES=most to MODULES=dep. This indeed reduced the size of
> > the initrd.img from about 9000000 to 5008590 and all was well until
> > the most recent update of update-initramfs. Now even with MODULES=dep
> > update-initramfs generates a 7787042 initrd.img and again lilo cannot
> > boot the system.
>
> Try with
>
> BUSYBOX=no
>
> Something indeed has happened, but I don't think it's initramfs-tools.
> My initrd for 2.6.25 is 1,5M and the one for 2.6.26 is 6,2M...

With BUSYBOX=n the initrd.img file size is reduced to 6683876 but bootup
still fails.

Tom

Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Ron Johnson

Last month when lilo could not boot a stock 2.6.26-1-amd64 debian
system it was pointed out to me that the initrd.img was too big and
that the solution was to edit /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and
change MODULES=most to MODULES=dep. This indeed reduced the size of
the initrd.img from about 9000000 to 5008590 and all was well until
the most recent update of update-initramfs. Now even with MODULES=dep
update-initramfs generates a 7787042 initrd.img and again lilo cannot
boot the system.

Try with

BUSYBOX=no

Something indeed has happened, but I don't think it's initramfs-tools.
My initrd for 2.6.25 is 1,5M and the one for 2.6.26 is 6,2M...

With BUSYBOX=n the initrd.img file size is reduced to 6683876 but bootup
still fails.

You could roll your own kernel, based on the stock .config file, but
changing the relevant drivers from "m" to "y", and doing away with
initrd.img.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:34:21 -0400 Thomas H. George wrote:

> With BUSYBOX=n the initrd.img file size is reduced to 6683876 but
> bootup still fails.

Maybe yaird can help. Install the yaird package and then add

ramdisk=mkinitrd.yaird mkinitramfs

to /etc/kernel-img.conf (try to use yaird, if it fails use
initramfs-tools) and then run

dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.26-1-amd64

(this is the recommended method for recreating the initrd, because it's
independent of the initrd creator used)

On my system this creates a 1,3M initrd. This should be small enough

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 09-23-2008, 12:42 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:10:54AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:34:21 -0400 Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > With BUSYBOX=n the initrd.img file size is reduced to 6683876 but
> > bootup still fails.
>
> Maybe yaird can help. Install the yaird package and then add
>
> ramdisk=mkinitrd.yaird mkinitramfs
>
> to /etc/kernel-img.conf (try to use yaird, if it fails use
> initramfs-tools) and then run
>
> dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.26-1-amd64
>
> (this is the recommended method for recreating the initrd, because it's
> independent of the initrd creator used)
>
> On my system this creates a 1,3M initrd. This should be small enough

Interesting: A check of the Debian package lists shows yaird for Etch
and Sid but not for Lenny. Ron Johnson's suggestion that I roll my own
kernel may be best at present. Until six months ago I always rolled my
own kernel. Then one day I thought that perhaps I was being foolish,
that although a stock kernel would include many drivers I did not need
still Debian is so compact the overhead would be trivial. Tonight when
I have the time I will roll one and check out the difference.

Tom