-   -   How Linux becomes Windows (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/16368-how-linux-becomes-windows.html)

Dirk 12-10-2007 03:27 PM

How Linux becomes Windows

I won't start commenting on all this HAL, udev and similar bullshit.

But this error message when I used modconf: "update-modules deprecated"

Is another sign that people here are trying to emulate even the bad
sides of Windows.

*I* (ME!) wan't to have fucking control over my modules back you
frickin' desktop loving auto-this, auto-that assholes!!!!

:C

Sam Leon 12-10-2007 04:06 PM

How Linux becomes Windows

Dirk wrote:

I won't start commenting on all this HAL, udev and similar bullshit.

But this error message when I used modconf: "update-modules deprecated"

Is another sign that people here are trying to emulate even the bad
sides of Windows.

*I* (ME!) wan't to have fucking control over my modules back you
frickin' desktop loving auto-this, auto-that assholes!!!!

:C

Hmm, I am not sure what you are talking about. HAL and udev have been
standard in all desktops for awhile now. If you truly hate hal maybe
you can just not install any desktop and just do all your computing
through the console. Mutt and lynx are pretty nice ;)

Sam

Nate Bargmann 12-10-2007 05:28 PM

How Linux becomes Windows

Looks like someone is having a bad day.

Perhaps Slackware is what you're looking for.

- Nate >>

--
Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.

John Hasler 12-10-2007 05:29 PM

How Linux becomes Windows

Sam Leon writes:
> HAL and udev have been standard in all desktops for awhile now.

I don't see how you can say that either is part of any desktop, though
kdebase depends on HAL (gnome-core depends on neither). Your system will
work fine without either (as will X). If he removes udev he will have to
do some stuff by hand, but he seems to want that.

> If you truly hate hal maybe you can just not install any desktop and just
> do all your computing through the console.

X is quite useable without any "desktop" and certainly does not require
HAL. Are you confounding "desktop" and "window mamager"?
--
John Hasler

cothrige 12-10-2007 06:46 PM

How Linux becomes Windows

Dirk <noisyb@gmail.com> writes:

> I won't start commenting on all this HAL, udev and similar bullshit.

I agree about HAL, and the thing really just makes me nervous. I was
apparently right too, because when I turned it off via update-rc.d, my
box started singing about somebody named Daisy.

The one I really don't understand though is avahi. I kept seeing this
in my ps output and really had no idea at all what it was. I tried to
find out, but couldn't. Did the CIA write this thing? Finally I turned
it off too, and nothing exploded so far. But, just what is all this
stuff anyway? Personally, I thought avahi was some sort of fruity
shampoo my wife uses.

Patrick

Sarunas Burdulis 12-10-2007 06:53 PM

How Linux becomes Windows

Hal Vaughan 12-10-2007 07:10 PM

How Linux becomes Windows

On Monday 10 December 2007, cothrige wrote:
> Dirk <noisyb@gmail.com> writes:
> > I won't start commenting on all this HAL, udev and similar
> > bullshit.
>
> I agree about HAL, and the thing really just makes me nervous. I was
> apparently right too, because when I turned it off via update-rc.d,
> my box started singing about somebody named Daisy.

Odd. Mine just said, "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."

Personally, I just wish someone would have picked a different name. I
forgot whether it was an Ubuntu or Debian (not Stable) box I had set up
would not let me have a user named "hal" because of HAL. That gets
frustrating since that's what I use as my username on most of my own
systems. It's frustrating to not be able to use one's own name.
And, to be honest, I don't like seeing people talking about how much
they hate HAL. ;-)

> The one I really don't understand though is avahi. I kept seeing
> this in my ps output and really had no idea at all what it was. I
> tried to find out, but couldn't. Did the CIA write this thing?
> Finally I turned it off too, and nothing exploded so far. But, just
> what is all this stuff anyway? Personally, I thought avahi was some
> sort of fruity shampoo my wife uses.

A quick Wikipedia search (found it on my first try) gave me this:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_%28software%29>

A Google search turned up 47,000 hits.

"Apt-cache search avahi" returned 34 packages on my Ubuntu Fiesty
workstation. (I didn't try it on my Debian servers, I figure the point
has been made.)

Hal
(Who even has his name on his license, Virginia plates "HAL 9000".)

cothrige 12-11-2007 01:19 PM

How Linux becomes Windows

Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> writes:

> Odd. Mine just said, "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."

Well, you probably let it see you coming.

> A quick Wikipedia search (found it on my first try) gave me this:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_%28software%29>

Showoff ;-)

Seriously though, I must admit it appears like it could be useful,
though on my little standalone box it probably wouldn't do much for me.

Patrick

"Douglas A. Tutty" 12-14-2007 02:32 AM

How Linux becomes Windows

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 05:27:30PM +0100, Dirk wrote:
> I won't start commenting on all this HAL, udev and similar bullshit.
>
> But this error message when I used modconf: "update-modules deprecated"
>
> Is another sign that people here are trying to emulate even the bad
> sides of Windows.
>
> *I* (ME!) wan't to have fucking control over my modules back you
> frickin' desktop loving auto-this, auto-that assholes!!!!

Try OpenBSD. No modules to worry about, no auto-anything, dmesg shows
you everything you have and where it is. Simple. Only downsides: if
you need a module for some piece of closed-source hardware; package
management is quite as simple as with aptitude; no volume-management
like LVM or easy software-raid; no flash-enabled browser.

I agree that linux has become a cliky-pointy-lindows thingy unless you
fight it. I don't do CUPS, I don't do DTE. I use lpr, CLI, startx,
icewm. To mount a USB stick I have an entry in fstab for /dev/sdc1. If
udev were to act up, I'd use LABLE=stick1: this is the fight-it part.

Doug.

Hal Vaughan 12-14-2007 05:00 AM

How Linux becomes Windows

On Thursday 13 December 2007, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 05:27:30PM +0100, Dirk wrote:
> > I won't start commenting on all this HAL, udev and similar
> > bullshit.
> >
> > But this error message when I used modconf: "update-modules
> > deprecated"
> >
> > Is another sign that people here are trying to emulate even the bad
> > sides of Windows.
> >
> > *I* (ME!) wan't to have fucking control over my modules back you
> > frickin' desktop loving auto-this, auto-that assholes!!!!
>
> Try OpenBSD. No modules to worry about, no auto-anything, dmesg
> shows you everything you have and where it is. Simple. Only
> downsides: if you need a module for some piece of closed-source
> hardware; package management is quite as simple as with aptitude; no
> volume-management like LVM or easy software-raid; no flash-enabled
> browser.
>
> I agree that linux has become a cliky-pointy-lindows thingy unless
> you fight it. I don't do CUPS, I don't do DTE. I use lpr, CLI,
> startx, icewm. To mount a USB stick I have an entry in fstab for
> /dev/sdc1. If udev were to act up, I'd use LABLE=stick1: this is the
> fight-it part.

Personally, I find a lot of these things let me focus on doing the work
I need to do as opposed to having to spend time thinking about how I'm
going to do something or making sure I can do something. Different
methods work for different people. It's cliche, but true. Some people
think better with a visual interface. It's just a different learning
or processing style.

What I like about Linux is that I have the choice. When I'm
programming, I use a simple editor and am constantly using the CLI.
When I'm writing film scripts, I need as intuitive and visual an
interface as possible. Both use different parts of the brain.

Hal