Old 11-18-2007, 03:08 AM
"David Fox"

Default X server on lenny - broken after today's dist-upgrade

I am having a problem and I've only got a minimal xfce4 setup right
now, enough to press alt-f2 to run iceweasel. I've basically lost the
ability to start x into my normal KDE environment. I get some errors
on the controlling terminal - these error messages are strange to me.
startkde never gets to start; I get a blue screen with a mouse cursor,
and nothing more.

In desperation, I tried geting X back by doing a basic reinstall of
the xserver-xorg package but in turn seemingly lost nvidia - and now I
cannot install nvidia-glx. I had it running (from sid) up until now.
Most if not everything xserver-xorg is running from sid rather than
from lenny because at the time lenny did not have nvidia-kernel-source
or the proper revision of nvidia-glx.

When I attempt to install nvidia-glx I get unresolved dependencies
wanting nvidia-kernel-100.14.19, saying this is a virtual package. But
I want nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-kernel-common, right?

I have those two packages installed from sid's repository but still
can't get nvidia-glx (re)installed.

Also this setup as it is is difficult to get a cut/paste or a script
of the error(s) I get when I try and startx with my normal kde
install. But I remember errors along the line of bad font path element
- and unfortunately, nothing in /var/log/Xfree86 seems to be there
detailing these errors.

I'll probably follow up to this message in a little bit.

Meanwhile, X is at least *somewhat* usable but this partial xfce
environment I have (no taskbars, no panel, nothing but a gray screen
and alt-f2 to run an app) isn't wanting to be tried that much longer.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:29 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 11-18-2007, 03:36 AM
"David Fox"

On 11/17/07, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having a problem and I've only got a minimal xfce4 setup right
> now, enough to press alt-f2 to run iceweasel. I've basically lost the
> ability to start x into my normal KDE environment. I get some errors
> on the controlling terminal - these error messages are strange to me.
> startkde never gets to start; I get a blue screen with a mouse cursor,
> and nothing more.

Update:

Still having issues, but managed to figure out how to correctly start
xfce4. It is almost usable, but slow, because of the nv fallback
driver.

I sent by mistake only the startx errors to another thread entitled
"followup to my last message". Sorry if that breaks continuity. I can
attach it to this message so as to not break the thread.

As I said before, the startkde never gets a chance to start, but at
least X is working - sort of.

I want to of course figure out what those extra errors are coming from
and how to fix it. The dist-upgrade doesn't seem to have helped this
situation - did a dist-upgrade this AM on lenny and everything was
fine, and suddenly I was trying to look at a document in openoffice
and the whole X session just hung, and I had to ctrl-alt-backspace.
After that, I can't get my display back the way it was.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:25 AM
Charlie

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, David Fox shared this with us all:
>--} On 11/17/07, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
>--} > I am having a problem and I've only got a minimal xfce4 setup right
>--} > now, enough to press alt-f2 to run iceweasel. I've basically lost the
>--} > ability to start x into my normal KDE environment. I get some errors
>--} > on the controlling terminal - these error messages are strange to me.
>--} > startkde never gets to start; I get a blue screen with a mouse cursor,
>--} > and nothing more.
>--}
>--} Update:
>--}
>--} Still having issues, but managed to figure out how to correctly start
>--} xfce4. It is almost usable, but slow, because of the nv fallback
>--} driver.
>--}
>--} I sent by mistake only the startx errors to another thread entitled
>--} "followup to my last message". Sorry if that breaks continuity. I can
>--} attach it to this message so as to not break the thread.
>--}
>--} As I said before, the startkde never gets a chance to start, but at
>--} least X is working - sort of.
>--}
>--} I want to of course figure out what those extra errors are coming from
>--} and how to fix it. The dist-upgrade doesn't seem to have helped this
>--} situation - did a dist-upgrade this AM on lenny and everything was
>--} fine, and suddenly I was trying to look at a document in openoffice
>--} and the whole X session just hung, and I had to ctrl-alt-backspace.
>--} After that, I can't get my display back the way it was.
>--}

I thought I must be the only one that had this problem after the last upgrade.
Running Lenny as well. The same symptoms, just a blank screen with a working
cursor, and Gkrellm which loads before anything else GUI. But that locked up
after a second. Nothing in KDE showed up. So I dropped to a terminal and all
works there, something to do with the xserver? Maybe? I couldn't catch
anything in the logs either.

I wanted to make some changes to my partition table and reinstall anyway, but
I removed Kerry-Beagle first and autoremoved all the files as directed
through apt-get. Then installed icewm, and things worked a treat, so I
thought this could be something to do with KDE. So installed Kerry-Beagle
again, bad move, it happened the same in Icewm, a blank screen. I now new
there was something about Kerry-Beagle that was the problem. Same again with
just beagle.

I can't recall the exact name but they were libmono or something like that
files, a whole heap of them and a couple of others. I removed them all, and I
think they were mainly for Kerry Beagle.

So did the reinstall, fixed the partitions the way I wanted and installed
normally, but nothing kerry-beagle went in, but did install KDE. Same problem
again? Having deleted and resized and relocated and formatted /home, as well
as all the other partitions, there was nothing there that could have been
left from the old system. So I ripped out everything KDE, and used icewm, and
put back all the programs and apps other than kerry-beagle and all is working
a treat.

I thought it might be hardware when no one else posted about it. I like KDE
but don't have to have it.

If you don't know and don't remove all the upgraded files, then the desktop
manager won't work right. But I am not certain that's the same as my system.
I had the CPU load meter at the top of every window where the minimize,
maximise and shutdown buttons were in icewm. They worked the same as normal
though. Even after getting rid of all the files I remembered out of the
system and kerry beagle it didn't come back with a hard boot. Even using just
beagle, broke everything and i went through the removal procedure again.

It's probably no help at all, but that's my experience.

All working well with everything as before except KDE and kerry-beagle.

Be well,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524