-   -   [OT]: free ddns service and port rediction 80<-->xyz (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/1627-ot-free-ddns-service-port-rediction-80-xyz.html)

"H.S." 11-20-2007 08:05 PM

[OT]: free ddns service and port rediction 80<-->xyz

Hello,

Does anybody know of a few dynamic DNS service which redirects traffic
on port 80 to a different port on my machine (which has a dynamic IP)?

I need this because a friend of mine's univ allows outgoing access to
only port 80. I am thinking that if a dynamic dns service redirects
traffic on port 80 to port xyz on my machine, I can make ssh listen on
port xyz and my friend can then have ssh access to that machine. BTW, I
want this redirection via a different hostname because I am already
running a web server on my machine (which is Debian Testing btw).

Thanks,
->HS

Celejar 11-21-2007 12:05 AM

[OT]: free ddns service and port rediction 80<-->xyz

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:05:50 -0500
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anybody know of a few dynamic DNS service which redirects traffic
> on port 80 to a different port on my machine (which has a dynamic IP)?

Is Dyndns's WebHop what you need?
http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/webhops_redirections.html#ports

> Thanks,
> ->HS

Celejar

"Sudev Barar" 11-21-2007 12:17 AM

On 21/11/2007, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:05:50 -0500 "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anybody know of a few dynamic DNS service which redirects traffic
> > on port 80 to a different port on my machine (which has a dynamic IP)?
>
> Is Dyndns's WebHop what you need?
> http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/webhops_redirections.html#ports

This when port 80 is blocked. In case of OP only port 80 is open on
the gateway machine.
AFAIK an outside service alone will not be able to do what he wants
without some NAT'ing on the gateway.
Sudev Barar

"H.S." 11-21-2007 12:28 AM

Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:05:50 -0500
> "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does anybody know of a few dynamic DNS service which redirects traffic
>> on port 80 to a different port on my machine (which has a dynamic IP)?
>
> Is Dyndns's WebHop what you need?
> http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/webhops_redirections.html#ports
>
>> Thanks,
>> ->HS
>
> Celejar
> --
> mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
> ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator

I tried the redirection on no-ip.org, which is I think the thing that
you provided the link for. But this service just forwards the URLs to a
non-80 port. I think it also puts the "http://" prefix someplace in the
domain name during the redirection. In any case, it does not work with
ssh connections, the attempt times out.

The problem is not that port 80 of a destination is blocked. The problem
is that the source gateway allows packets to *only* port 80 to the WAN.

BTW, is there a tool which lets me run a command shell within a browser
window? That would work on port 80.

->HS

Celejar 11-21-2007 12:33 AM

[OT]: free ddns service and port rediction 80<-->xyz

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:47:57 +0530
"Sudev Barar" <sbarar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/11/2007, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:05:50 -0500 "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Does anybody know of a few dynamic DNS service which redirects traffic
> > > on port 80 to a different port on my machine (which has a dynamic IP)?
> >
> > Is Dyndns's WebHop what you need?
> > http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/webhops_redirections.html#ports
> >

> This when port 80 is blocked. In case of OP only port 80 is open on
> the gateway machine.
> AFAIK an outside service alone will not be able to do what he wants
> without some NAT'ing on the gateway.

Maybe I'm missing something, but as I understand it, the service can
redirect any host/port combination to any other. An example given is:

http://myhost.dyndns.org/ redirects to http://myserver.dyndns.org:8080/

Isn't that what the OP wants?

> Regards,
> Sudev Barar

Celejar

Celejar 11-21-2007 12:43 AM

[OT]: free ddns service and port rediction 80<-->xyz

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:28:08 -0500
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:05:50 -0500
> > "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Does anybody know of a few dynamic DNS service which redirects traffic
> >> on port 80 to a different port on my machine (which has a dynamic IP)?
> >
> > Is Dyndns's WebHop what you need?
> > http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/webhops_redirections.html#ports
> >
> >> Thanks,
> >> ->HS
> >
> > Celejar
> > --
> > mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
> > ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator
> >

> I tried the redirection on no-ip.org, which is I think the thing that
> you provided the link for. But this service just forwards the URLs to a
> non-80 port. I think it also puts the "http://" prefix someplace in the
> domain name during the redirection. In any case, it does not work with
> ssh connections, the attempt times out.
>
> The problem is not that port 80 of a destination is blocked. The problem
> is that the source gateway allows packets to *only* port 80 to the WAN.

Perhaps I'm indeed misunderstanding the issue.

http://anyterm.org/
http://anyterm.org/compared.html

> ->HS

Celejar

Celejar 11-21-2007 12:51 AM

[OT]: free ddns service and port rediction 80<-->xyz

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:47:57 +0530
"Sudev Barar" <sbarar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/11/2007, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:05:50 -0500 "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Does anybody know of a few dynamic DNS service which redirects traffic
> > > on port 80 to a different port on my machine (which has a dynamic IP)?
> >
> > Is Dyndns's WebHop what you need?
> > http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/webhops_redirections.html#ports
> >

> This when port 80 is blocked. In case of OP only port 80 is open on
> the gateway machine.
> AFAIK an outside service alone will not be able to do what he wants
> without some NAT'ing on the gateway.

I see the mistake I was making; thanks for pointing it out. The
browser will need access to the redirected host/port, which in the OP's
case is not possible.

I do think Anyterm may do what the OP needs.

> Regards,
> Sudev Barar

Celejar

Owen Townend 11-21-2007 10:42 AM

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 16:05 -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody know of a few dynamic DNS service which redirects traffic
> on port 80 to a different port on my machine (which has a dynamic IP)?
>
> I need this because a friend of mine's univ allows outgoing access to
> only port 80. I am thinking that if a dynamic dns service redirects
> traffic on port 80 to port xyz on my machine, I can make ssh listen on
> port xyz and my friend can then have ssh access to that machine. BTW, I
> want this redirection via a different hostname because I am already
> running a web server on my machine (which is Debian Testing btw).
>
> Thanks,
> ->HS

Hey,
Easy fix that works for me.
If your web server isn't already using it then just get ssh to listen
on port 443 which the firewall will more than likely let through for
https.

cheers,
Owen.

"H.S." 11-21-2007 03:07 PM

Owen Townend wrote:

> Hey,
> Easy fix that works for me.
> If your web server isn't already using it then just get ssh to listen
> on port 443 which the firewall will more than likely let through for
> https.
>
> cheers,
> Owen.

I have it running, so can't use 443. But I already had this mind. I have
asked the related admin what other ports are open. I am not running any
other services, so hopefully I can make ssh listen on one of those ports.

thanks,
->HS

Micha Feigin 11-22-2007 12:19 PM

[OT]: free ddns service and port rediction 80<-->xyz

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:07:41 -0500
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Owen Townend wrote:
>

> > Hey,
> > Easy fix that works for me.
> > If your web server isn't already using it then just get ssh to listen
> > on port 443 which the firewall will more than likely let through for
> > https.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Owen.
>
> I have it running, so can't use 443. But I already had this mind. I have
> asked the related admin what other ports are open. I am not running any
> other services, so hopefully I can make ssh listen on one of those ports.

try 20/21 for ftp (although 20 may be opened only in response to 21), or 53 for
domain name server

also have a look at freedns.afraid.org, I seem to recall that they do what you
want, but I'm not sure if its a redirection from them or a message to your
computer to redirect somewhere else