Old 12-10-2007, 05:18 AM
rockymaxsource

Default server name

Hey,

My company has a server whose name is server1.domain.net. The server
has WHM / Cpanel. We are thinking of migrate to another server. We
want to name is server2.domain.net. Is this cause any problem?

Blessings,
Rocky

Old 12-14-2007, 02:22 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 10:18:10PM -0800, rockymaxsource wrote:

> My company has a server whose name is server1.domain.net. The server
> has WHM / Cpanel. We are thinking of migrate to another server. We
> want to name is server2.domain.net. Is this cause any problem?

As I see it, the problems will come when the clients of that server try
to send a request to server1.domain.net and can't find the server.

I have a book, The Practice of System and Network Administration by
Linoncelli and Hogan that suggests that the work-around is to use name
aliases. I.e, have the box names actually server1.domain.net and
server2.domain.net but have function names which clients will actually
use, such as lpr.domain.net, mail.domain.net, etc. This way, you can
have both boxes set up on the network. As you get each service running
on the new box, you change the box pointed to by your DNS (whether
named, a distribued /etc/hosts file, or whatever).

However, to be specific, I don't know what WHM or Cpanel are so I could
be totally off-base. YMMV.

Doug.