Old 09-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Stephen Liu

Default Problem on running aptitude/apt-get upgrade (SOLVED)

--- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 07:11:41AM +0800, Stephen Liu
> <satimis@yahoo.com> was heard to say:
> > Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.2), libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libcairo2 (>=
> > 1.2.4), libglib2.0-0 (>1 2.12.0), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.8),
> libx11-6,
> > libgtk2.0-0 (= 2.8.20-7)
>
> Well, I don't know why it happened, but that's your problem there
> (should
> probably be >=, not >1).

Hi Daniel,

I got my problem fixed by manually editing the file as advised. Then
rebooted PC. It is working normally now. Thanks.

I don't know how the problem happens. I ran the net_install CD
installing Debian Etch i386 downloading files on a mirror site. This
is the 3rd round. On 1st and 2nd rounds after downloading all relevent
files and starting installation PC hung. If the 3rd fails again I'm
compelled to download the DVD installer.

Anyway thanks again for your advice.

B.R.
Stephen

Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri,12.Sep.08, 17:09:52, Stephen Liu wrote:

> I don't know how the problem happens. I ran the net_install CD
> installing Debian Etch i386 downloading files on a mirror site. This
> is the 3rd round. On 1st and 2nd rounds after downloading all relevent
> files and starting installation PC hung. If the 3rd fails again I'm
> compelled to download the DVD installer.

Did you check the md5sum of the image and the written CD?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 09-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Stephen Liu

--- Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri,12.Sep.08, 17:09:52, Stephen Liu wrote:
>
> > I don't know how the problem happens. I ran the net_install CD
> > installing Debian Etch i386 downloading files on a mirror site.
> This
> > is the 3rd round. On 1st and 2nd rounds after downloading all
> relevent
> > files and starting installation PC hung. If the 3rd fails again
> I'm
> > compelled to download the DVD installer.
>
> Did you check the md5sum of the image and the written CD?

Hi Andrei,

Yes sure. I always check md5sum before burning.

B.R.
Stephen L

Old 09-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Chris Bannister

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 05:09:52PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:

> --- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 07:11:41AM +0800, Stephen Liu
> > <satimis@yahoo.com> was heard to say:
> > > Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.2), libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libcairo2 (>=
> > > 1.2.4), libglib2.0-0 (>1 2.12.0), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.8),
> > libx11-6,
> > > libgtk2.0-0 (= 2.8.20-7)
> >
> > Well, I don't know why it happened, but that's your problem there
> > (should
> > probably be >=, not >1).
> >

> Hi Daniel,
>

> I got my problem fixed by manually editing the file as advised. Then
> rebooted PC. It is working normally now. Thanks.
>

> I don't know how the problem happens. I ran the net_install CD
> installing Debian Etch i386 downloading files on a mirror site. This
> is the 3rd round. On 1st and 2nd rounds after downloading all relevent
> files and starting installation PC hung. If the 3rd fails again I'm
> compelled to download the DVD installer.

I would start suspecting the computer itself, grab a Knoppix Live CD and
boot off that - run memtest and generally give the computer a workout.

If that is all ok, then post back here with details of where it hangs,
etc.

--
Chris.
======

Old 09-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Stephen Liu

--- Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 05:09:52PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> >
> > --- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 07:11:41AM +0800, Stephen Liu
> > > <satimis@yahoo.com> was heard to say:
> (>=
> > > libx11-6,
> > >
> > > Well, I don't know why it happened, but that's your problem
> there
> > > (should
> > > probably be >=, not >1).
> > >

> > Hi Daniel,
> >

> > I got my problem fixed by manually editing the file as advised.
> Then
> > rebooted PC. It is working normally now. Thanks.
> >

> > I don't know how the problem happens. I ran the net_install CD
> > installing Debian Etch i386 downloading files on a mirror site.
> This
> > is the 3rd round. On 1st and 2nd rounds after downloading all
> relevent
> > files and starting installation PC hung. If the 3rd fails again
> I'm
> > compelled to download the DVD installer.
>
> I would start suspecting the computer itself, grab a Knoppix Live CD
> and
> boot off that - run memtest and generally give the computer a
> workout.
>
> If that is all ok, then post back here with details of where it
> hangs,
> etc.

Hi Chris,

Debian Etch is now working without problem discovered. Just installed
Xen on it. Both the Virtual Machine and Guest are running.

# xm list
Name ID Mem VCPUs State
Time(s)
Domain-0 0 3417 2 r-----
439.6
xen1.satimis.com 3 32 1 -b----
2.4

I'll download the Knoppix Live CD later to test the computer.

B.R.
Stephen L

Old 09-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Stephen Liu

--- Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:

- snip -
> > Hi Daniel,
> >

> > I got my problem fixed by manually editing the file as advised.
> Then
> > rebooted PC. It is working normally now. Thanks.
> >

> > I don't know how the problem happens. I ran the net_install CD
> > installing Debian Etch i386 downloading files on a mirror site.
> This
> > is the 3rd round. On 1st and 2nd rounds after downloading all
> relevent
> > files and starting installation PC hung. If the 3rd fails again
> I'm
> > compelled to download the DVD installer.
>
> I would start suspecting the computer itself, grab a Knoppix Live CD
> and
> boot off that - run memtest and generally give the computer a
> workout.
>
> If that is all ok, then post back here with details of where it
> hangs,
> etc.
>
> --
> Chris.

Hi Chris,

The Host - Debian Etch is now running w/o problem. Just finished
running >13 hour memtest on the PC. No error found. The results is as
follow;

Memtest86 v1.64 | Pass 18% #######
Athlon 64 X2 2009 MHZ | Test 6% ##
L1 Cache: 128K 16469MB/s | Test #7 [Random number sequency]
L2 Cache: 512K 3924MB/s | Testing: 108K - 3583M 4095M
Memory : 4095M 3139MB/s | Pattern: fdd43037
Chipset: AMD 8000 (ECC : Disabled)
Settings: RAM:167 MHZ (DDR334) / CAS:7-4-7 / Dual Channel (128 bits)

WallTime Cached RsvdMem MemMap Cache ECC Test Pass Errors
ECC Errs
13:34:33 4095M 84M e820-Std on off Std 9 0

B.R.
Stephen L