Old 12-09-2007, 05:36 AM
Mark Grieveson

Default startx gdm

Hello. I'm wondering if there is a way to, without using gdm, have x
started, my user logged in, and fluxbox opened, automatically. Perhaps
a script, or something.

Mark

Old 12-09-2007, 01:26 PM
giglio robbo' d'acciaio

Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> writes:

> Hello. I'm wondering if there is a way to, without using gdm, have x
> started, my user logged in, and fluxbox opened, automatically. Perhaps
> a script, or something.

Try editing your ~/.bashrc
--
Daniele Giglio Dona i tuoi cicli di clock alla ricerca!
email in ROT13 http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Kent West

Mark Grieveson wrote:

Hello. I'm wondering if there is a way to, without using gdm, have x
started, my user logged in, and fluxbox opened, automatically. Perhaps
a script, or something.

Yes. I haven't tested the following, but I believe it will work (it's
based on the solution googled at
http://www.linux.org.za/Lists-Archives/glug-tech-0511/msg00341.html).

Create a script, say, "/usr/local/bin/sudologin.sh", and put the
following into it:

====

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/sudo -u YourUserName -H -i

====

("-H" specified for the sudo process to change the home directory to
YourUserName's home directory; "-i" specifies the process to simulate an
initial login, that is, to run the program specified in /etc/password
for this user.)

chmod 755 the script.

Now, in "/etc/inittab", make the following change:

====
# Format:
#
# Note that on most Debian systems tty7 is used by the X Window System,
# so if you want to add more getty's go ahead but skip tty7 if you run X.
#
#1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
1:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/getty -l sudologin.sh 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
====

Edit "/etc/password" so it looks something like:
====
YourUserName:x:1000:1000:Your Real
Name,,,:/home/YourUserName:/usr/bin/startx

====

And finally, edit YourUserName's ~/.xinitrc to have the single line
"fluxbox" in it.

Test it, and let us know if it works.

--
Kent

Old 12-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Mark Grieveson

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:36:29 +0000 (UTC)

> Test it, and let us know if it works.

I had some problems with this -- getty, it seems, felt rushed, and would
not let me log in; so, I changed things back. I'm still manually
logging into fluxbox with "startx /usr/bin/startfluxbox". This works.
And, I have figured out, via google, how to give my regular user the
options of rebooting and/or halting the system. But, automatic login
and automatic startx still elude me. I have gotten rid of gdm, though.

Mark

Old 12-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 06:20:55PM -0500, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:36:29 +0000 (UTC)
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
>
> > Test it, and let us know if it works.
>
> I had some problems with this -- getty, it seems, felt rushed, and would
> not let me log in; so, I changed things back. I'm still manually
> logging into fluxbox with "startx /usr/bin/startfluxbox". This works.
> And, I have figured out, via google, how to give my regular user the
> options of rebooting and/or halting the system. But, automatic login
> and automatic startx still elude me. I have gotten rid of gdm, though.

Automatic startx should be as easy as adding it to .bash_profile (not
.bashrc to not have it run for every xterm), but I didn't test it.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 12-16-2007, 04:38 AM
Mark Grieveson

> Automatic startx should be as easy as adding it to .bash_profile
> (not .bashrc to not have it run for every xterm), but I didn't test
> it.

Yes. Not only automatic startx, but the solution to all of life's
problems should be as easy as adding it to .bash_profile.

At any rate, I did solve getting my computer to autologin, with the
help of http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=16348

It seems that editing /home/user/.bash_profile, and
editing /etc/inittab, is necessary. Further, using rungetty rather
than getty is also helpful, apparently.

Briefly, for the autologin, in the /etc/inittab file, I
changed the first line from:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

to (note, my user is "mark"):

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/rungetty tty1 --autologin mark

and, for both starting x, and, specifically, starting
fluxbox as I've set it up, I added the following to .bash_profile:

if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]; then
while [ 1 == 1 ]
do
startx /usr/bin/startfluxbox
sleep 10
done
fi

Mark

Old 12-16-2007, 07:44 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 06:20:55PM -0500, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> automatic login
> and automatic startx still elude me. I have gotten rid of gdm, though.

in /etc/inittab (check that nothing else is using label "6" and tty6)

6:23:respawn:/bin/login -f goofy </dev/tty6 >/dev/tty6 2>&1

in ~goofy/.bash_profile (if bash is the shell)

[ $(tty) = /dev/tty6 ] && exec startx $OPTIONS