-   -   where is the Message-ID? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/1530-where-message-id.html)

Steve Kleene 11-20-2007 06:10 PM

where is the Message-ID?

I post occasionally to the mplayer forum, which is archived at:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/

All posts there are done by e-mail. When I (or a responder) posts, it shows
up there pretty fast. Much later, I get a digest of the last few posts by
e-mail.

I prefer to use sendmail. When I post a reply (here for example), I preserve
threading as follows. I construct the message with mailto, manually add the
References, and send it off with sendmail.

With the mplayer forum, there's a problem. If I wait for the digest that
arrives by e-mail, I can see the Message-ID of the last post and add it under
References to preserve threading. However, I see no way to find the
Message-ID at the online archive. So I can either wait a long time, or I can
screw up the threading.

Clearly other posters there have figured this out. How do they (or their
mail programs) get a hold of the Message-IDs? (I would ask them, but they're
not thrilled with posts that aren't directly about mplayer.)

Thanks.

Sven Joachim 11-20-2007 06:43 PM

where is the Message-ID?

Hello Steve,

On 2007-11-20 20:10 +0100, Steve Kleene wrote:

> I post occasionally to the mplayer forum, which is archived at:
>
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/
>
> All posts there are done by e-mail. When I (or a responder) posts, it shows
> up there pretty fast. Much later, I get a digest of the last few posts by
> e-mail.
>
> I prefer to use sendmail. When I post a reply (here for example), I preserve
> threading as follows. I construct the message with mailto, manually add the
> References, and send it off with sendmail.

Isn't that a bit cumbersome? Consider switching your subscription to
non-digest mode.

> With the mplayer forum, there's a problem. If I wait for the digest that
> arrives by e-mail, I can see the Message-ID of the last post and add it under
> References to preserve threading. However, I see no way to find the
> Message-ID at the online archive. So I can either wait a long time, or I can
> screw up the threading.
>
> Clearly other posters there have figured this out. How do they (or their
> mail programs) get a hold of the Message-IDs? (I would ask them, but they're
> not thrilled with posts that aren't directly about mplayer.)

I don't know what everybody else does, but I prefer to read large
mailing lists in a newsreader. Gmane (http://gmane.org) is a
mail-to-news gateway that hosts 10,000 public mailing lists, and
mplayer-users is in the group gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user. You can
also post your own articles via Gmane, if your newsreader cannot send
mail for some reason. And, very important: Gmane preserves the original
Message-Ids and References.

Cheers,
Sven

Steve Kleene 11-20-2007 07:17 PM

where is the Message-ID?

On Tue Nov 20 14:10:30 EST 2007, I wrote:
> I post occasionally to the mplayer forum ...
> I prefer to use sendmail. When I post a reply (here for example), I preserve
> threading as follows. I construct the message with mailto, manually add the
> References, and send it off with sendmail.
>
> With the mplayer forum, there's a problem. If I wait for the digest that
> arrives by e-mail, I can see the Message-ID of the last post and add it under
> References to preserve threading. However, I see no way to find the
> Message-ID at the online archive. So I can either wait a long time, or I can
> screw up the threading.

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:43:39 +0100, Sven Joachim replied:

> I don't know what everybody else does, but I prefer to read large
> mailing lists in a newsreader. Gmane (http://gmane.org) is a
> mail-to-news gateway that hosts 10,000 public mailing lists, and
> mplayer-users is in the group gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user. You can
> also post your own articles via Gmane, if your newsreader cannot send
> mail for some reason. And, very important: Gmane preserves the original
> Message-Ids and References.

Thanks for a good suggestion. I found the forum but was unable to find any
way to display the Message-IDs. Perhaps this is withheld as a way to prevent
harvesting of e-mail addresses. I was able to find a way to reply to a post.
I tried that and it worked.

Celejar 11-20-2007 11:59 PM

where is the Message-ID?

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello Steve,
>
> On 2007-11-20 20:10 +0100, Steve Kleene wrote:
>
> > I post occasionally to the mplayer forum, which is archived at:
> >
> > http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/
> >
> > All posts there are done by e-mail. When I (or a responder) posts, it shows
> > up there pretty fast. Much later, I get a digest of the last few posts by
> > e-mail.
> >
> > I prefer to use sendmail. When I post a reply (here for example), I preserve
> > threading as follows. I construct the message with mailto, manually add the
> > References, and send it off with sendmail.
>
> Isn't that a bit cumbersome? Consider switching your subscription to
> non-digest mode.

Or use formail, as Paul and others often point out.
Hint (from the manpage):

> To split up a digest one usually uses:
> formail +1 -ds >>the_mailbox_of_your_choice
> or
> formail +1 -ds procmail
>

> Cheers,
> Sven