Old 08-24-2008, 04:50 PM
"Paul Dufresne"

Default ndiswrapper kernel module, precompiled version in testing?

I am quite new to ndiswrapper. For Etch, I had downloaded latest
source, installed kernel headers, and then simply ./configure, make,
make install.

Now I am trying Testing, and since I supposed the official packages
would be recent, I began to simply install ndiswrapper-common and
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9. But then, when I come to do modprobe
ndiswrapper, I realized there was no ndiswrapper-module.

I was hoping to find something like ndiswrapper-2.6.26-subversion-i386
module, but no.

So it seems I really need ndiswrapper-source (probably should remove
ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 because I believe
ndiswrapper contains source for both user-space utilities and kernel
module).

But, as I have no wired connection, I need to get packages
individually using wireless on an other OS.
And I find it a bit long, because ndiswrapper-source seems to depends
on (in my opinion) too many packages (bzip2, debhelper,
module-assistant... debhelper having it's own dependancies: binutils,
dpkg-dev, file, html2text, man-db, perl, po-debconf).

Now, I am seriously thinking about just downloading ndiswrapper
sources and give up using Debian packages. But then, I tought I should
ask help here, maybe I am missing a binary package with ndiswrapper
kernel module already compiled.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Shachar Or

On Sunday 24 August 2008 19:50, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> I am quite new to ndiswrapper. For Etch, I had downloaded latest
> source, installed kernel headers, and then simply ./configure, make,
> make install.

Try not to do that. You may break the package management when you install
software outside of it.

http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=lenny&keywords=ndiswrapper

> I was hoping to find something like ndiswrapper-2.6.26-subversion-i386
> module, but no.
>
> So it seems I really need ndiswrapper-source (probably should remove
> ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 because I believe
> ndiswrapper contains source for both user-space utilities and kernel
> module).
>
> But, as I have no wired connection, I need to get packages
> individually using wireless on an other OS.
> And I find it a bit long, because ndiswrapper-source seems to depends
> on (in my opinion) too many packages (bzip2, debhelper,
> module-assistant... debhelper having it's own dependancies: binutils,
> dpkg-dev, file, html2text, man-db, perl, po-debconf).

Hook the system up to a wired connection, then, or use the first CD (I think
it has everything you need for that).

> Now, I am seriously thinking about just downloading ndiswrapper
> sources and give up using Debian packages. But then, I tought I should
> ask help here, maybe I am missing a binary package with ndiswrapper
> kernel module already compiled.

Install build-essential and module-assistant and the ndiswrapper packages and
use m-a to build the ndiswrapper module package.
--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 PM
"Paul Dufresne"

2008/8/24 Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com>:
> On Sunday 24 August 2008 19:50, Paul Dufresne wrote:

> Hook the system up to a wired connection, then, or use the first CD (I think
> it has everything you need for that).
I have CD #1 and #2 and that's not seems enough to get
ndiswrapper-source package dependencies.
So yes, seems the easiest path is to move the computer box to the
other builing with wired connection...
or just 'cheat' and download normal ndiswrapper-source, not the package.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Shachar Or

On Sunday 24 August 2008 20:46, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> 2008/8/24 Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com>:
> > On Sunday 24 August 2008 19:50, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> >
> > Hook the system up to a wired connection, then, or use the first CD (I
> > think it has everything you need for that).
>
> I have CD #1 and #2 and that's not seems enough to get
> ndiswrapper-source package dependencies.

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/ndiswrapper-source tells me that it depends
on bzip2, debhelper and module-assistant.

I've a feeling that these three are in the first CD-ROM.

Do you have the CD's in your sources.list? Did you use apt-cdrom to put them
there?

> So yes, seems the easiest path is to move the computer box to the
> other builing with wired connection...
> or just 'cheat' and download normal ndiswrapper-source, not the package.

Cheating hurts.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-24-2008, 10:33 PM
"Paul Dufresne"

2008/8/24 Paul Dufresne <dufresnep@gmail.com>:
> 2008/8/24 Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com>:
>> On Sunday 24 August 2008 19:50, Paul Dufresne wrote:
>
>> Hook the system up to a wired connection, then, or use the first CD (I think
>> it has everything you need for that).
> I have CD #1 and #2 and that's not seems enough to get
> ndiswrapper-source package dependencies.
> So yes, seems the easiest path is to move the computer box to the
> other builing with wired connection...
> or just 'cheat' and download normal ndiswrapper-source, not the package.

I finally was able to compile and use ndiswrapper. But I had to
download some packages like ndiswrapper-source manually because there
seems to have no ndiswrapper kernel module. Using Beta-2 (July 2008)
Lenny CD #1 and #2. (Been having ioctl[SIOCSEWESSID]: Invalid
argument... but they disappear after fixing my Pre-Shared-Key. )

I wish next Beta will fix this, but not too sure how/if I have to fill
a bug report about this.