Old 08-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Ron Johnson

Default need help with cc

On 08/22/08 23:04, Daniel Watkins wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 23:52:27 -0400
"raman narasimhan" <ramsn88@gmail.com> wrote:

i'm new to debian.. after compilation whenever i type ./a.out, bash
says permission denied or says segmentation fault...
how do i resolve the problem ?

If you get a 'permission denied', ensure that the execute bit is set
('chmod +x <file>').

But gcc sets the file permissions for you.

If you get a segmentation fault, that suggests that the code being
compiled is faulty.

Blame the compiler???? That's a CompSci 101 mistake.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Rich Healey

Old 08-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Ron Johnson

i'm new to debian.. after compilation whenever i type ./a.out, bash
says permission denied or says segmentation fault...
how do i resolve the problem ?

If you get a 'permission denied', ensure that the execute bit is set
('chmod +x <file>').

But gcc sets the file permissions for you.

If you get a segmentation fault, that suggests that the code being
compiled is faulty.

Blame the compiler???? That's a CompSci 101 mistake.

Erm.. I believe he was blaming the coder :P

Then why didn't he just say that? "Segfault means you wrote buggy
code."

Old 08-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

i'm new to debian.. after compilation whenever i type ./a.out, bash
says permission denied or says segmentation fault...
how do i resolve the problem ?

If you get a 'permission denied', ensure that the execute bit is set
('chmod +x <file>').

But gcc sets the file permissions for you.

If you get a segmentation fault, that suggests that the code being
compiled is faulty.

Blame the compiler???? That's a CompSci 101 mistake.

When I just started with IBM I used to think that the PSW quit PSW-ing
when I made mistakes.

Hugo

Old 08-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Kent West

Ron Johnson wrote:

If you get a segmentation fault, that suggests that the code being
compiled is faulty.

Blame the compiler???? That's a CompSci 101 mistake.

Erm.. I believe he was blaming the coder :P

Then why didn't he just say that? "Segfault means you wrote buggy code."

I thought that's what he said, just in different words:
"the code being compiled is faulty" = "you wrote buggy code".

--
Kent West <")))><

Old 08-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Ron Johnson

If you get a segmentation fault, that suggests that the code being
compiled is faulty.

Blame the compiler???? That's a CompSci 101 mistake.

Erm.. I believe he was blaming the coder :P

Then why didn't he just say that? "Segfault means you wrote buggy code."

I thought that's what he said, just in different words:
"the code being compiled is faulty" = "you wrote buggy code".

Passive voice vs. active voice.

"[T]he code being compiled is faulty" implies that the "the code"
did something to make itself broken, whereas "you wrote buggy code"
places the blame squarely on target: the human.

(This could be construed as an example of the femininization of man,
but I won't go there...)

Old 08-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Ron Johnson

i'm new to debian.. after compilation whenever i type ./a.out, bash
says permission denied or says segmentation fault...
how do i resolve the problem ?

If you get a 'permission denied', ensure that the execute bit is set
('chmod +x <file>').

But gcc sets the file permissions for you.

If you get a segmentation fault, that suggests that the code being
compiled is faulty.

Blame the compiler???? That's a CompSci 101 mistake.

When I just started with IBM I used to think that the PSW quit PSW-ing
when I made mistakes.

It would be interesting to know how many people on this list know
(without resorting to Google) what PSW means...

Old 08-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Shachar Or

On Saturday 23 August 2008 16:10, Ron Johnson wrote:
> It would be interesting to know how many people on this list know
> (without resorting to Google) what PSW means...

Prickely Space Woman?

> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA
>
> "Do not bite at the bait of pleasure till you know there is no
> hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Ron Johnson

It would be interesting to know how many people on this list know
(without resorting to Google) what PSW means...

Prickely Space Woman?

That *is* one meaning, but not the relevant meaning...

Old 08-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

It would be interesting to know how many people on this list know
(without resorting to Google) what PSW means...

Prickely Space Woman?

That *is* one meaning, but not the relevant meaning...

And in the (blissful?) absence of any comp.sci. that is what the S/360
assembly book began with...

Hugo