Old 08-22-2008, 07:18 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

Default Nautilus fails to manage desktop

I'm running nautilus 2.20.0-6, and after a recent reboot nautilus is
refusing to manage the desktop. I've tried killing nautilus, removing
~/.nautilus and ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus before relaunching it manually,
but it simply refused to show the contents of ~/Desktop on the desktop.

gconf-editor shows that /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop is
enabled, so that doesn't seem to be the issue, either.

What else can I do to restore my desktop icons and allow nautilus to
manage the desktop?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 08-23-2008, 03:30 AM
Narcissus

Hi,
check the content of file ~/.config/user-dirs.dir
see if that can help you.

I'm running nautilus 2.20.0-6, and after a recent reboot nautilus is

refusing to manage the desktop. I've tried killing nautilus, removing

~/.nautilus and ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus before relaunching it manually,

but it simply refused to show the contents of ~/Desktop on the desktop.

gconf-editor shows that /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop is

enabled, so that doesn't seem to be the issue, either.

What else can I do to restore my desktop icons and allow nautilus to

manage the desktop?

--

"Oh, look: rocks!"

* * * *-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Regards
NarcissusHuang

Old 08-23-2008, 07:33 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 11:30:38AM +0800, Narcissus wrote:

> check the content of file ~/.config/user-dirs.dir see if that can help
> you.

There's no such file. What should be there?

Old 08-23-2008, 01:55 PM
"Mirco Piccin"

Hi all.

>>> i'm running nautilus 2.20.0-6, and after a recent reboot nautilus is
refusing to manage the desktop

>> check the content of file ~/.config/user-dirs.dir see if that can help
>> you.

> There's no such file. What should be there?

That's happened to me too: same release of nautilus.
I think the problem is not nautilus, but the gtk libraries.
In fact i'm having problems with my usual applications that use the
gtk libraries.

Any ideas?

Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Narcissus

Sorry for my mistake, it should be ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
you can find things such as
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
in that file

2008/8/23 Todd A. Jacobs <nospam@codegnome.org>

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 11:30:38AM +0800, Narcissus wrote:

> check the content of file ~/.config/user-dirs.dir see if that can help

> you.

There's no such file. What should be there?

--
Regards
Huang Wentao
Shanghai, China

Old 08-23-2008, 02:20 PM
"Mirco Piccin"

Hi all, i've find a temporay solution...

refusing to manage the desktop

>>> check the content of file ~/.config/user-dirs.dir see if that can help
>>> you.

>> There's no such file. What should be there?

> That's happened to me too: same release of nautilus.
> I think the problem is not nautilus, but the gtk libraries.
> In fact i'm having problems with my usual applications that use the
> gtk libraries.

It was posted by Christian Jaeger to the debian user mailing list, in
a topic with subject:
Lenny users: attn about Gnome/libxml2 breakage

As i've said, the problem is not nautilus.
The problem is related to new release of libxml.
Here i report the solution proposed by Christian, but i think it's a
good idea to read all the topic/replies.

> Solution: install libxml2 from unstable; this is actually a downgrade (from libxml2 2.6.32.dfsg-2+lenny to 2.6.32.dfsg-2). I.e.
> "apt-get install -t unstable libxml2/unstable", but you need to have the unstable sources in apt.sources and use apt pinning (I
> won't explain that here, check other sources).

Hope this helps!
Regards