Old 08-21-2008, 07:31 PM
andy baxter

Default compatibility

Kenn Bannerman wrote:

I'm looking at various Linux versions but none seem to indicate
whether they are compatible with certain software programs such as:

AutoCAD
Adobe Photoshop et al
SoundForge

Any info you can supply would greatly help my decision.

Linux is a quite different operating system to Windows, so you can't
assume that a program written for Windows will run in Linux unless it
has been specifically ported to this platform. However there are similar
programs written for Linux which will do much the same job. I suggest
that you try for yourself installing a version of Linux, and look at
some of these programs to see if they meet your needs. You can install
linux side by side with windows on your hard disk if you want. Many (but
not all) Windows programs can also run under linux using a windows
compatibility layer called 'Wine', so you could look at that too.

I don't know of any linux programs similar to AutoCAD (though others
here might do), but Photoshop is roughly equivalent to a linux program
called the GIMP. For Soundforge, there are a variety of Linux based
tools which cover a similar field - look at Rezound, Audacity, and
Ardour for a start.

andy

Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Kenn Bannerman escreveu:

I'm looking at various Linux versions but none seem to indicate
whether they are compatible with certain software programs such as:

AutoCAD
Adobe Photoshop et al
SoundForge

No Linux distribution is compatible with those programs. And no
distribution will ever be, until the producers of those softwares create
Linux versions for them.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Chris Burkhardt

Kenn Bannerman wrote:

> I'm looking at various Linux versions but none seem to indicate whether
> they are compatible with certain software programs such as:

A better strategy would be to ask the software vendors whether or not their
program is supported under Linux.

- Chris

Old 08-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Paul Johnson

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 14:43 -0400, Kenn Bannerman wrote:

> I'm looking at various Linux versions but none seem to indicate
> whether they are compatible with certain software programs such as:
>
> AutoCAD
> Adobe Photoshop et al
> SoundForge

The vendors should be able to provide you with that information if
they're willing to stand behind their products (if not, why are you
working with those vendors to begin with).

Also, consider open alternatives. There are many CAD and graphics
editing programs, and there's few things that Photoshop can do that GIMP
can't.

If all else fails, you should check the WineHQ appdb.
http://appdb.winehq.org/

In any case, this is probably not the mailing list you're looking for
for this question.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 08-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Kumar Ravichandran

[snip]

> I don't know about AutoCAD. Can anyone recommend anything?

QCad is something you could check out. It is based on AutoCAD and the
interface is quite similar too.

Kumar.

--

Kumar Ravichandran

Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Aerospace Engineering
University of Maryland
College Park, MD.

"An eye for an eye will only make the entire world blind."

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Old 08-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Aniruddha

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 14:43 -0400, Kenn Bannerman wrote:

> I'm looking at various Linux versions but none seem to indicate
> whether they are compatible with certain software programs such as:
>
> AutoCAD
> Adobe Photoshop et al
> SoundForge
>
> Any info you can supply would greatly help my decision.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Kenn Bannerman

Depending on which version you would like to use, alle *nix are
compatible with these programs thprough Wine:

AutoCAD
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=86

SoundForge
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=529

Adobe Photoshop
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17

You could alsouse Crossover office:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/cat/?showall=1;cat_id=2

Or Virtualbox:
http://www.virtualbox.org/

Regards,

Aniruddha

Old 08-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Kumar Appaiah

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 01:53:14PM -0400, Kumar Ravichandran wrote:
> > I don't know about AutoCAD. Can anyone recommend anything?
>
> QCad is something you could check out. It is based on AutoCAD and the
> interface is quite similar too.

I think he means the "iterface" is based on AutoCAD. :-)

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah

Old 08-23-2008, 12:25 AM

I know there was a suggestion to use Wine with apps such as Autocad.
Even if it did work I would argue against it. The first time you
called Autocad with a problem they would ask which environment you
are running and, in response to Linux, they would answer "we don't
support it".
Larry

Old 08-23-2008, 12:41 AM
"Sudev Barar"

2008/8/22 Kumar Ravichandran <kumar.ravichandran@gmail.com>:

>> I don't know about AutoCAD. Can anyone recommend anything?
>
> QCad is something you could check out. It is based on AutoCAD and the
> interface is quite similar too.

I missed the OP but if you are looking for CAD package then try Cycas
or Varicad apart from Qcad.

Sudev Barar

PS: I know most of people do not follow email niceties (mostly they
are not aware) but if you follow bottom post/in-line post style of
email conversations it becomes a whole lot easier to carry on
meaningful dialogue and you can snip out what is not meaningful too.
Most people just hit reply button and top post leaving prior message
appended uselessly at bottom. See if you can adopt this style and
persuade others. In case you are already doing this ..... great,
spread the message.