Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
andy

Default Increasing screen resolution

Hi

I have started a new thread on this to avoid hijacking a similar thread
from someone else.

My current screen resolution is 1400x1050 with a refresh rate of 50Hz.

This is my xorg.conf file:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Thu Feb 14
18:20:37 PST 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "nvidia"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV"
Option "Coolbits" "1"
Option "RandRRotation" "1"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"
Option "TripleBuffer" "0"
Option "DynamicTwinView" "1"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "1"
# Option "RENDER" "0"
EndSection

I'd like to increase the resolution up to 1600x1200 with a higher
refresh rate as well if possible. My monitor can take it, but my
xorg.conf file no longer seems to have the section wherein one can tweak
those settings.

I am using an Nvidia GeForce 8500GT card on a Lenny machine.

How would I go about increasing the resolution?

Thanks

Andy

Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 PM
"Sudev Barar"

>2008/8/21 andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com>:

[SNIP]

> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Monitor0"
> VendorName "Unknown"
> ModelName "Unknown"
> HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
> VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
> Option "DPMS"
> EndSection
>

> I'd like to increase the resolution up to 1600x1200 with a higher refresh
> rate as well if possible. My monitor can take it, but my xorg.conf file no
> longer seems to have the section wherein one can tweak those settings.

In the snipped section above commenting out vert and horz refresh
lines and adding a modeline for resolution should work.

Sudev Barar

PS: Sorry Andy earlier I just replied back to you instead of the list.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 PM
"Nuno Magalh„es"

> In the snipped section above commenting out vert and horz refresh
> lines and adding a modeline for resolution should work.
And what's the least painful way of producing such a modeline for a
given monitor? My 22" is still not running at full res.

TIA

--
Nuno Magalh„es

Old 08-24-2008, 01:58 AM
"Sudev Barar"

2008/8/24 Nuno Magalh„es <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt>:
>> In the snipped section above commenting out vert and horz refresh
>> lines and adding a modeline for resolution should work.
> And what's the least painful way of producing such a modeline for a
> given monitor? My 22" is still not running at full res.

Google for modeline generator. There is online utility for generating
specific modeline. BUT if you are using a recent monitor just
specifying
mode = "1024x800" or similar should be sufficient with out having to
give horizontal or vertical refresh rates.

Sudev Barar

PS: I know most of people do not follow email niceties (mostly they
are not aware) but if you follow bottom post/in-line post style of
email conversations it becomes a whole lot easier to carry on
meaningful dialogue and you can snip out what is not meaningful too.
Most people just hit reply button and top post leaving prior message
appended uselessly at bottom. See if you can adopt this style and
persuade others. In case you are already doing this ..... great,
spread the message.