Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 PM
"John O Laoi"

Default automounting in xfce

Hi,

I want to set up automounting on my
etch system, which is using XFCE4.

Basically, I want my CDs and flash
devices to automount when I insert them.

I have done some googeling, and it
seems that I need to use Thunar's volume manager, and do the
following in Thunar:

Edit | Preferences, Click on Advanced Tab, Select 'Enable Volume
Manager', Configure

However, when I go

Edit |
Preferences | Advanced

I see nothing except "Folder
Permissions"

Any hints?

How to proceed?

John

Old 08-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 09:43:30PM +0100, John O Laoi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to set up automounting on my etch system, which is using XFCE4.
>
> Basically, I want my CDs and flash devices to automount when I insert them.
>

> I have done some googeling, and it seems that I need to use Thunar's volume
> manager, and do the following in Thunar:
>
> Edit | Preferences, Click on Advanced Tab, Select 'Enable Volume Manager',
> Configure
>

> However, when I go
>
> Edit | Preferences | Advanced
>
> I see nothing except "Folder Permissions"
>

> Any hints?

It's been a long time since I ran xfce, but I would suggest you make
sure all of thunar's (and xfce's, for that matter) "Recommends" are
installed. I seem to recall that thunar likes gamin for this sort of
thing.

hth

Old 08-21-2008, 12:59 AM
Chris Burkhardt

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 09:43:30PM +0100, John O Laoi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to set up automounting on my etch system, which is using XFCE4.
>>
>> Basically, I want my CDs and flash devices to automount when I insert them.
>>

>> I have done some googeling, and it seems that I need to use Thunar's volume
>> manager, and do the following in Thunar:
>>
>> Edit | Preferences, Click on Advanced Tab, Select 'Enable Volume Manager',
>> Configure
>>

>> However, when I go
>>
>> Edit | Preferences | Advanced
>>
>> I see nothing except "Folder Permissions"
>>

>> Any hints?
>
> It's been a long time since I ran xfce, but I would suggest you make
> sure all of thunar's (and xfce's, for that matter) "Recommends" are
> installed. I seem to recall that thunar likes gamin for this sort of
> thing.

Specifically, chack that the thunar-volman package is installed (it is
"suggested" by thunar).

- Chris

Old 08-21-2008, 06:22 AM
"John O Laoi"

Thanks for the help.

I am having problems installing the
package thunar-volman.

This is a package management problem,
at which I am no expert!

The package is not available on etch,
but is on the list of packages for sid:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/thunar-volman

However, when I issue

# aptitude show -t sid thunar-volman

I get

E: Unable to locate package
thunar-volman

# aptitude install -t sid
thunar-volman

I get

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree... Done

Reading extended state information

Initializing package states... Done

Reading task descriptions... Done

Building tag database... Done

Couldn't find any package whose name or
description matched "thunar-volman"

The following packages have been kept
back:

linux-image-2.6-686 openssh-client
openssh-server

0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed,
0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

Need to get 0B of archives. After
unpacking 0B will be used.

The following is my sources.list:

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch
main contrib non-free

deb-src http://ftp.debian.org etch main
contrib non-free

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org
etch main

deb http://security.debian.org/
etch/updates main contrib

deb-src http://security.debian.org/
etch/updates main contrib

deb
http://mirror.noreply.org/pub/tor etch main

deb-src
http://mirror.noreply.org/pub/tor etch main

deb http://debian.virginmedia.com
stable main contrib non-free

John

Old 08-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 07:22:46AM +0100, John O Laoi wrote:
> Thanks for the help.

I've looked into this a bit more. You're running etch. etch's thunar
does not depend on, and probably can't use
thunar-volman. http://packages.debian.org/etch/thunar tells us that it
suggests hal and pmount. This is likely what handles automounting for
thunar. You should make sure these are installed. That's all the
advice I have onthis problem, though, as I'm badly out of date on xfce.

> I am having problems installing the package thunar-volman.
>
> This is a package management problem, at which I am no expert!
>

> The package is not available on etch, but is on the list of packages for
> sid:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/thunar-volman
>

> However, when I issue
>
> # aptitude show -t sid thunar-volman
>
> I get
>
> E: Unable to locate package thunar-volman

you don't have any sid sources in your sources.list. To get sid
packages, you'd have to add a sid source and then do aptitude
update. *BUT* I'm not advocating that *at all*. Don't do it. Use etch
backports to get packages that aren't in etch. until you have better
knowledge of debian systems, mixing sid with etch is a bad idea.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Chris Burkhardt

John O Laoi wrote:

> Thanks for the help.
>

> I am having problems installing the package thunar-volman.
>
> This is a package management problem, at which I am no expert!
>

> The package is not available on etch, but is on the list of packages for
> sid:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/thunar-volman
>

> However, when I issue
>
> # aptitude show -t sid thunar-volman
>
> I get
>
> E: Unable to locate package thunar-volman

That is because you do not have the sid repositories listed in your sources.list.

However, the thunar-volman package requires Thunar version 0.5.1 or later, and
the Etch Thunar is only at 0.4.0.

You could try installing Thunar from the etch-backports (it has version 0.9.0)
and then installing thunar-volman from Lenny. To do that you need to add
backports and testing repository lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib

then do:

apt-get uninstall thunar
apt-get -t etch-backports install thunar
apt-get -t lenny install thunar-volman

If that doesn't work, or is too much trouble, there are other automounting
solutions you can look into. For example, ivman is in etch:
http://ivman.sourceforge.net/

Hope that helps,
- Chris

Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 PM
"John O Laoi"

I've tried some of these solutions.

However, when I insert a CD say, and
run

# fdisk -l

it does not even see the CD volume,

so there is no device to mount.

What could be causing that?
John

Old 08-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Chris Burkhardt

John O Laoi wrote:

> I've tried some of these solutions.
>
> However, when I insert a CD say, and run
>
> # fdisk -l
>
> it does not even see the CD volume,
>
> so there is no device to mount.
>

> What could be causing that?

Hi John,

I'm pretty sure 'fdisk -l' only lists hard disk partitions and won't indicate
whether you have a CD in the drive or not.

Your CD-ROM drive is given a file under /dev by the CD-ROM driver. Then in your
/etc/fstab file, there should be a line mapping that device to a directory in
the filesystem (/cdrom, which is a link to /media/cdrom0, I think is the Debian
default).

For example, in my /etc/fstab file, I have this line:

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I didn't add that line, some smart part of Debian did (maybe the installer?)

Check to see if your fstab file has a similar line. If it does, you can manually
mount the CD:

mount -a
- OR -
mount /media/cdrom0

Then 'cd /cdrom; ls' to see the contents of the CD.

Otherwise you need to find out what device your CD-ROM drive is (grep'ing
through the output of dmesg, I guess).

Or if your drive is not even being detected by the driver, you need to figure
that out. Have you ever successfully read any CD in your system?

- Chris Burkhardt

Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,20.Aug.08, 21:43:30, John O Laoi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to set up automounting on my etch system, which is using XFCE4.
>
> Basically, I want my CDs and flash devices to automount when I insert them.
>

> I have done some googeling, and it seems that I need to use Thunar's volume
> manager, and do the following in Thunar:

Actually you don't. Just install the 'hal' package and an icon will
appear on the Desktop.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 08-23-2008, 02:07 PM
"John O Laoi"

Thanks to everyone.

Problem solved.

Yes, I misunderstood "fdisk -l". I
assumed that it would list

the CD partition also.

I never even tried to mount the CD, as
I thought that when

it was not being seen by fdisk, it was
not there, and there was nothing to mount.

Also I've learned how to install from
another version of debian,

although it appears that this is not
recommended.