Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Tammo Schuelke

Default aptitude purge

Hi,

*

I recently removed the etch version of amanda and installed a
newer one because of a blocksize problem which was resolved there.

I didn't purge though, which means that I have this now:

dom0:~# aptitude search ~c

c** amanda-client

c** amanda-common

c** amanda-server

*

Is there a way to remove these entries from the apt database
without actually purging the packages, which would probably remove the newer version
including its configuration?

I cannot put the packages on hold since they are not
installed and I sometimes like to use aptitude purge ~c after uninstalling a
lot of packages...

*

Thanks, Tammo

*

Old 08-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:33:19PM +0200, Tammo Schuelke <tas@redlink.de> was heard to say:
> Is there a way to remove these entries from the apt database without actually purging the packages, which would probably remove the newer version including its configuration?

No.

Daniel

Old 08-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Shachar Or

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 00:33, Tammo Schuelke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> *
>
> I recently removed the etch version of amanda and installed a newer one
> because of a blocksize problem which was resolved there.

In Debian you'd want to use the package manager for installation and not make
installs outside of it, like using 'make install'.

Perhaps you can make a simple backport of amanda yourself and install it.
Perhaps you can ask for a backports-users list.

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Tammo Schuelke

I usually do so (or create debian packages myself), but since they already provide amd64 Debian etch packages I just installed them with dpkg,
e.g. http://www.zmanda.com/downloads/community/Amanda/2.6.0p1/Debian-Etch/amanda-backup-client_2.6.0p1-1_amd64.deb

Unfortunately, the package has a different name:
dom0:~# aptitude search amanda
i amanda-backup-server - Amanda Network Backup and Archiving software
c amanda-client - Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver (Client)
c amanda-common - Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver (Libs)
c amanda-server - Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver (Server)

I guess I'll have to go clean this up by hand then.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:33:19PM +0200, Tammo Schuelke wrote:

Please don't send HTML email to the list.

> Hi,
>
> I recently removed the etch version of amanda and installed a newer one because
> of a blocksize problem which was resolved there.

How did you install the "newer one"?

> I didn't purge though, which means that I have this now:
>
> dom0:~# aptitude search ~c
> c amanda-client
> c amanda-common
> c amanda-server
>
> Is there a way to remove these entries from the apt database without actually
> purging the packages, which would probably remove the newer version including
> its configuration?
> I cannot put the packages on hold since they are not installed and I sometimes

What is the ouput of:
apt-cache policy amanda-{client,server,common}

--
Chris.
======

Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 AM
freeman

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:33:19PM +0200, Tammo Schuelke wrote:

> I didn't purge though, which means that I have this now:
>
> dom0:~# aptitude search ~c
>
> c amanda-client
>
> c amanda-common
>
> c amanda-server
>

> Is there a way to remove these entries from the apt database without
> actually purging the packages, which would probably remove the newer
> version including its configuration?
>
> I cannot put the packages on hold since they are not installed and I
> sometimes like to use aptitude purge ~c after uninstalling a lot of
> packages...

I handle this with an on-board repository.

This gives me the ability to do everything with aptitude, change versions or
automatically update to outside repositories when something becomes
available.

I just drop the deb into my repository. When necessary, I make debs from
tar-balls with checkinstall, which I borrowed from lenny without conflicts on
etch.

Here is my repository:

root@Europa:/home/freeman# cd /etc/apt/debs
root@Europa:/etc/apt/debs# ls -al
total 13128
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-08-24 21:52 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 2008-08-19 15:59 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12174650 2008-07-05 13:46 amaya_wx-10.0.1-1_i386.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1161354 2008-08-19 14:18 clamav_0.93.3-1_i386.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 127 2008-08-20 12:44 notes
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1238 2008-08-24 21:52 Packages
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1248 2008-08-24 21:52 Packages~
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 693 2008-08-24 21:52 Packages.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13675 2008-07-05 13:50 repo-readme
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 25414 2008-08-19 15:45 repository-readme.html
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 53 2008-08-20 12:10 textindex.sh
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 44 2008-08-20 12:17 zipindex.sh
root@Europa:/etc/apt/debs#

Here is my sources.list entry:

# disk
deb file:///etc/apt/debs/ /

Here is textindex.sh which I run to get the text index, Packages, after
dropping new deb into the repo:

#!/bin/bash
dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null > Packages
exit

I edit Packages to remove problems in package listings. eg., checkinstall
could not get depends info from clamav tar-ball. This crashed aptitude. So I
deleted the empty "Depends:" line from the clamav entry in Packages.
Neither aptitude nor clamav crash now.

Here is zipindex.sh, which I run to get the actual gzipped repository
index, Packages.gz, form Packages:

#!/bin/bash
gzip -9c Packages > Packages.gz
exit

Here is my reference form making my repository:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repository-howto/repository-howto.en.html

--
Freeman